• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bird

Bird
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Hey

So, I did not have a good experience with AART and have since transferred to another clinic due to this experience. 

However, I wanted to outline some things at AART that have may not be immediately apparent when new patients are looking for clinics:

• AART does not do day 3 transfers. 
  • AART will not provide IUI or IVF for women over a certain BMI
  • AART requires every woman to have an HSG before allowing IUI or IVF treatments. 

#2 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

What was the BMI count off? 

How recent does the HSG test need to be?

Me: 37 DH: 36

TTC since 2014

IVF #1: November 2016

ER: Retrieved 5 eggs, 5 fertilized, ended up with 4 five day blasts

Fresh ET Nov 2016: BFN

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

FET w/ ICSI #3        April 2018: BFN

IVF # 2: January 2020

ER: Retrieved 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, ended up with 7 five day blasts

Fresh ET Jan 2020: BFN

#3 Bird

Bird
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hey

So BMI is 40 and over (must be 39). I have heard through the grapevine that AART has been considering lowering it to 35 and over (must be 34). 

HSG needs to be no older than 3 years old at the beginning of treatment cycle. 

#4 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Ok, thanks for the info!

Me: 37 DH: 36

TTC since 2014

IVF #1: November 2016

ER: Retrieved 5 eggs, 5 fertilized, ended up with 4 five day blasts

Fresh ET Nov 2016: BFN

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

FET w/ ICSI #3        April 2018: BFN

IVF # 2: January 2020

ER: Retrieved 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, ended up with 7 five day blasts

Fresh ET Jan 2020: BFN

#5 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

As a quick note for future members who may come across this post...

1). There is no evidence to support that Day 3 transfers have a higher success rate than Day 5 transfers. As in all circumstances individual situations should be reviewed and discussed with your RE to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for the patient.

2). It is very common for clinics to not be able to provide treatment to patients over a certain BMI. There are a variety of reasons for this...some of which include medical restrictions of being able to safely treat higher BMI patients outside of a hospital setting, management of success rates for the clinics and evidence that supports that regrettably higher BMI does lower success rates for outcomes.

3). It would be medically irresponsible if they didn't require an HSG prior to treatment. An HSG allows the RE to determine, among many conditions, the presence of a hydrosalpinx. If left untreated a hydrosalpinx contains toxic fluid which will almost certainly spill into the uterine cavity and kill any embryo trying to implant or cause miscarriage in early pregnancy.

Any IVF patient, regardless of BMI, is well advised to research their clinic and treatment options to determine the best fit.

The reasons listed above for AART are medically responsible guidelines and processes.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#6 Bird

Bird
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

Just for clarification, I didn't state that Day 3 transfer has a higher success rate. Just that if you ONLY have an option for a day three transfer, that AART will not do that transfer. 

So, for example, if you only have 1 day 3 embryo and the rest of your eggs have died many clinics will opt to transfer the day 3 embryo in case is also dies before reaching day 5. This is not an option at AART. 

The BMI limit at AART was due to the anesthesia recommendations from WHO. I specifically asked about clinical pregnancy being affected by BMI and was told that BMI is not correlated with more or less success of clinical pregnancy. This is supported by latest research (2015 onwards).  

There are also many clinics that do not require an HSG for IVF. So if a patient is researching clinics its good to know if there will be a waiting period to get an HSG before beginning treatment. 

Also to clarify, my experience with AART has nothing to do with these three points. They're just good points to know about when researching clinics. My experience with AART is in regards to what I feel is a mismanagement of my diagnostic tests and diagnosis in general. However, this was not mentioned as it is specific to my individual medical circumstances. 

#7 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

1). Patients are always well advised to discuss with their team their preferences and options (re day 3 & day 5 transfers.). An informed patient is always their own best advocate.

2). There are a myriad of reasons for declining treatment for elevated BMI. These could include the reduction of effectiveness of fertility drugs/higher unknown doses needed, reduction of ability to retrieve eggs, increased likelihood of serious pregnancy complications for the mother, increase likelihood of lifetime effects for the child over and above maternal pregnancy complications, etc. Any MD takes an oath to first due no harm and balance the extremely difficult options before them and determine what they believe to be in a patient's best interests. The patient can choose to disagree and seek a 2nd opinion. It is not an easy decision for anyone to make...medical professional and patient included.

3). IVF...hurry up and wait...le sigh...the bane of every IVF patient's existence. Yes, some clinics may have longer wait times for HSGs than others. This being said it still remains ill advised to proceed without an HSG or saline sonogram to determine tubal patency and properly diagnose the patient.

At every clinic patients will understandably have a range of outcomes and experiences.

Yes, it's always important for anyone venturing into assisted reproduction or really managing any chronic condition to be well informed and an active participant in managing their outcome and treatment.

Best of luck to you!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018