Ultrasound at 7 weeks is empty - Clinics - General - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Ultrasound at 7 weeks is empty


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nbd-82

Nbd-82
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Ckb

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

This is my first pregnancy through IVF after 6 yrs of trying. Got my 5 day blastocyst on April 2 and was tested positive with 133 HCG on April 16. Got my HCG tested three times to confirm if it was increasing steadily. My first ultrasound on April 24 showed a gestational sac. My husband and i were super excited to see it but the next ultrasound a week later shattered our excitement. The sac was empty after 7 weeks of ET. My doc suggests me to get a D&C done but i wanted to wait. On review from other doctors, they have suggested me to wait for the 8 week ultrasound and then take a call. Need some positive stories.

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

I am sorry to hear your outcome. i had a cycle that ended up like this too. I went in for my 7 week ultrasound and there was just an empty sac. The medical term my RE used was a blighted ovum.  Although every pregnancy is different, by 7 week there should be a fetal pole. I was told at that appointment to stop all medication and wait for a bleed. I am not sure why your RE is recommending a D/C and would ask why that rather than just pass naturally. Again sorry for your outcome.



#3 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 721 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Nbd-82 sorry to hear the bad news.  We had a similar situation and unfortunately ours did not have a happy ending either.  I hope yours will be a miracle surprise though!  Were your embryos PGS-tested?  The only advantage I can think of with D&C is they can collect the tissue to test for any chromosomal abnormalities (this is what we did for our 2nd miscarriage).  With our 3rd miscarriage, my wife opted for misoprostol instead of D&C and the tissue she collected was not adequate for chromosomal testing.  With D&C there is a small risk of asherman's syndrome and thinning of endometrial lining, which is why my wife will not opt for a D&C again


March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif


#4 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Regina, SK
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

So sorry, really hoping for the best for you.  Definitely there is usually a 2nd ultrasound done to confirm a bad outcome. But also questioning why the automatic jump to D&C, without explaining options to you?  I also did misoprostol to bring on the miscarriage, since with my job I could not risk it happening naturally at a random time.  My uterus and lining was the only positive thing I had going for me, and my Dr talked me through the risks of D&C (minimal, but exist) compared to misoprostol which had the potential to be traumatic, advising the latter if I thought I could handle it.  I miscarried into a sterile metal pan and collected the gestational sac and surrounding blood clot into a sterile container provided by my ObGyn, and brought to the pathology lab at the hospital for testing (also Trisomy 16).  It was definitely traumatic, but I would personally choose the same route again for the same reasons in my case.  Sorry again that you have to go through this.


Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

 


#5 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:24 AM

nbd-82... I am so sorry to hear about the terrible news... this has happened to me as well.  I was a little over 8 weeks but our baby stopped growing at 7 weeks.  They did check a couple of times though to make sure there was nothing there, and there wasn't.  Worst day of our lives.  My RE just had me stopped all the meds and prescribed me misoprostol to take.  I would be very careful about the D/C especially since you are so early into your pregnancy as it can cause other potential issues like uterine scarring which can really affect you trying to get pregnant again.  I know my RE told me to take misoprostol again if it didn't work the first time, and if in the second time it doesn't work then D/C was my only other option.  However, having said that though, since it was early into my pregnancy, the pills worked the first time I took it.  And just like with SunshineTTC, I got ours tested but the process of collecting the tissue can be a bit traumatic... I couldn't collect it myself, my husband did.  

 

Sending you lots of hugs, and wishing you luck on your future tries! 



#6 Nbd-82

Nbd-82
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Ckb

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for all your responses.
My RE wants to test the tissues for any chromosomal defects that is why she is suggesting for a D&C. If given an option Ill go for the natural way.
Anyhow, thats a later stage. Im going for my 8 week scan tomorrow. Need ur prayers.

#7 Nbd-82

Nbd-82
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Ckb

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

Hopefuldadsomeday thanks for letting me know about the PGS test. Will definitely discuss it with my RE.
Thanks again