Male Side Known Egg Donor - First Cousin Once Removed - Ask the RE - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Male Side Known Egg Donor - First Cousin Once Removed

Egg Donor Cousin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sceptre4444

sceptre4444
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program Calgary

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Hello, Can the husband's first cousin, once removed (daughter of his 1st cousin) be considered as an egg donor candidate if all the other requirements are met?   

#2 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

hmmm... seems a little too close of a generation to me... but I'm no expert when it comes to this.  One of my best friends though, his parents are cousins five times removed smile.png  

#3 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Best to speak to your clinic directly as they likely will be able to tell if it is acceptable for them.

Theoretical concerns are risks of having a higher chance of certain familial genetic diseases, but everyone has a different comfort level with how closely related is too close.

• mouse and gibasgirl like this

#4 sceptre4444

sceptre4444
  • 8 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program Calgary

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I think I'll answer my own question here. 

I appreciate the input from Experts. However, directing me back to my own clinic or another expert isn't input at all, merely deflecting the question. And, really it goes without saying, it is an internet forum after all.

My results were from 2 genetic counselors who consulted genetic doctors. From 2 different clinics.

Neither of the clinics had concrete numbers/stats, both said it wouldn't be a problem. One doctor stated that a cousin twice removed has a genetic defect rate equal to the general population. 1-3%  The genetic doctor estimated the defect rate would be about double the general population. 2-6%  So for anyone else, neither clinic excluded the donor based on her being my first cousin's daughter. 

Unfortunately both the parents and the doctor had concerns for her youth. 20 years old. It seems the age criteria is different for known donor vs anonymous donors. At my clinic older is preferred for known ovum donors.

#5 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Hi sceptre4444 - as you have indicated, this is an Internet forum and it would be irresponsible and likely malpractice for the medical expert to weigh in with an opinion on such a specific medial question without having reviewed your files and data. As Dr Hartman has indicated there may be factors in familial history that would make this potential donor a higher risk. He, nor any other physician couldn't possibly advise you to go one way or the other in this instance. Your clinic is the best place to advise you as to the risks.

Best of luck to you!
  • gibasgirl, returnable and hopefuldadsomeday like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Egg Donor, Cousin