7 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 192 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

In your opinion which is the best province to do IVF in? Why?

Me: 37 DH: 36

TTC since 2014

IVF #1: November 2016

ER: Retrieved 5 eggs, 5 fertilized, ended up with 4 five day blasts

Fresh ET Nov 2016: BFN

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

FET w/ ICSI #3        April 2018: BFN

IVF # 2: January 2020

ER: Retrieved 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, ended up with 7 five day blasts

Fresh ET Jan 2020: BFN

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

IMO it depends on the diagnosis and what's important to you as a couple. It might be a good idea to schedule consults with a few clinics to get a sense of where the best fit for you might be.

Anectodlly as a MB gal I've had many friends find success at VFC, Olive, Mount Sinai & CrEate. A few of us drove across the line and cycled at Sanford in Fargo. (Satellite monitoring in GF.)

You can typically self refer for a number of consults. I see in your "About Me" that your dx is "unexplained." VFC might be a great p,ace to start. There's a thread on this site called "Manitobans Who Transferred"...totally worth a read.

As you venture down your path if you should decide to venture out of province please feel free to PM me for some practical implementation tips. :). It's scary to think of when you start out... but TONS of support here from those who have done this before.

Good luck!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

I guess I should clarify, I'm thinking from a financial perspective. 

For example I see that Ontario does government funded cycles, but maybe the wait lists are long?  NB has a $5000 grant I guess? MB has the tax credit.

I'm asking because Dh may have some say in a job transfer, so we are looking at the pros/cons of moving to different places.  I doubt that we'd ever be in the financial position to do satellite monitoring here and go to a clinic as far away as VFC. Those who are able to do that are very lucky!

TTC since 2014

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

#4 choicemom2be

choicemom2be
  • Global 100+
  • 274 posts
  • My Clinic:RCC

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

I'm in Ontario and am currently doing a funded cycle. I was told the wait at my clinic was over a year and I got in in 8mnths. each clinic has it's own waitlist so times may vary. The good thing about the funded cycle is all blast you get from your retrieval are covered. The only thing you do have to pay is storage of your embryos. I did however pay extra for PGS and ERA testing which are not included. Although I feel there are a few tweaks that could be made I still think it's a great program. I can't compare it to any other province though because I have no experience to draw from.
IUI #1 Dec 2016 ~ BFN
IUI #2 Jan 2017 ~ BFN
IUI #3 Mar 2017 ~ BFN
IUI #4 Aug 2017 ~ BFN
IVF#1 ER ~ DEC 2017 (11 follicles, 9 fertilized 7blasts frozen)
Dec 2017 ~ PGS testing (3 normal) (Day 5 5BC, Day 6 5BB & 6BB)
FET #1 Jan 2018 ~ BFN (6BB)
ERA Mar 2018 ~ pre-receptive by 1 day
FET #2 May 2018~ BFP! (5BB) ~miscarriage @6weeks

#5 kayte1

kayte1
  • Global 100+
  • 228 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

I didnt listen when people initially recommended this to me but flying overseas for a massively reduced cycle and drug costs is definitely the most cost-effective way to pursue IVF. I thought this sounded wild and complicated and way too overwhelming to consider and organize when I was already beyond stressed trying to wrap my brain around IVF locally.

Airfare and hotel doesnt compare to an additional $10 000 and the clinics and their service were above and beyond any of the 4 big clinics I went to in Ontario. I wish Id listened!

I can recommend the websites ivftraveler and frugalcrib. They detail European options and costs. Frugalcrib has an amazing breakdown of their IVF cycle in Prague. They are from the States and limited by finances. They did a bunch of research and didnt even try pursuing ART locally. They breakdown their entire costs and organization there.

Just an idea! 🙂
  • Highest hopes likes this

#6 ewok

ewok
  • Global 100+
  • 939 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:was CHUM St-Luc, now Ovo

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

You can also compare various clinics price online. Even without coverage, it varies a lot. My fresh cycle was 6000$ + 1000$ for freezing + meds. We don't need extras like sperm retrieval or ICSI. Not so bad, but certainly not as good as a free cycle in Ontario.

Me: 38, DH: 38, together since 1995, TTC since 2004

PCOS, endometriosis Stage 3
Multiple early pregnancy loss (stopped counting at 8)
Left Hydrosalpinx seen on Ultrasound during my first miscarriage
July 2013: ER visit, found Ectopic pregnancy in right tube, internal bleeding, emergency surgery with removal of both my tubes.  Next phase IVF

IVF #1: March/April 2014, Antagonist protocol with Estrogen priming, OHSS risk, no transfer but many frosties

FET#1: June/July 2014: BFN...

FET#2: October 2014: BFP
July 19th: DD is born.  Our little miracle
(more details on About Me page)

#7 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

FYI (I realize it's not really your question now) it might be worth comparing prices, VFC's prices tend to be a bit lower than average, in my experience and that of others I've spoken to, flying out to VFC doesn't end up that much more than local clinic. Personally I've never paid for satellite monitoring -- blood tests are free, and I've usually been able to get baseline and lining check ultrasounds for free though I've had to pay for a couple. I think MB might be a bit more difficult than SK for this though.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#8 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately all of our family lives on the other side of Canada, so we usually need to save air miles/funds to go there once a year.  Doing IVF in the same province we choose to live in would be so much easier.

Ontario sounds interesting, does anyone recommend a particular clinic there? Are most of them self referral? 

TTC since 2014