Poor Egg Quality, Multiple IVF Failures - Ask the RE - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content

- - - - -

Poor Egg Quality, Multiple IVF Failures

poor egg quality failed ivf augment donor egg

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adriana925

  • Member
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello - My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 3 years and started down the IVF Journey right away when we visited the fertility clinic last year. I'm now 33 and my husband is 34. Our diagnosis has been unexplained until this point but it is becoming increasingly obvious that egg quality is the problem. Since June of 2017, we have done 3 retrieval cycles.


The first resulted in zero blasts. The second resulted in one 8B blast. My estrogen was very high by the time of egg retrieval and they were worried about OHSS so we froze the embryo. We decided to do a third cycle to see if we could get any more embryos prior to doing a FET which again, resulted in all of the embryos arresting before reaching day 5. I responded well to the stims all three times and retreived around 15 eggs each time. Our fertilization rate was low, and after the first cycle, we moved on to ICSI.


I've been seeing a naturopath and Chinese medicine doctor/acupuncturist that specialize in fertility 3 times a week. They have identified that I may have Hashimoto's and I have overhauled my already healthy diet to cut out gluten, dairy, sugar. I'm healthy overall, and exercise moderately regularly. I take CoQ10, vitamin D, Fish oil, a prenatal, zinc-copper, and melatonin. My TSH levels are monitored regularly and currently sit within the norm. I feel like I have done literally everything in my power. 


I had an ERA prior the the FET and all looked good. Have not had a problem with lining thickness and doctors were pleased with the architecture of my uterus. Sadly, the FET transfer resulted in a negative beta. 


Met with my doctor yesterday and he did not seem hopeful of our situation. He suggested trying a mini-IVF as a last resort and suggests that we will need to move to donor eggs after that. He believes it is an egg quality issue based on embryo development in the first 3 days after fertilization. The goal in the end of this is to have a family and I'm open to the idea of donor eggs but I'm just not ready to give up the idea of having my genetic child just yet. 


I'm wondering if there is ANYTHING else that I can do in terms of treatment. We are not opposed to trying a different clinic, going to a different country, or trying something, anything, that may not be proven out yet. We asked him about Augment and he didn't sound confident in the data. Is there anything else that I can do or try prior to moving on to donor eggs?


Thank you,


#2 DrMichaelHartman

  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

It sounds like you have gotten good advice from your RE, I would have made the same suggestions. 

Augment is no longer offered at my clinic, and it may be challenging to find a clinic in Canada to do that. 

It never hurts to get a second opinion but I think you are at a great clinic and have received good advice so far.

You are doing everything you can.

Hoping things work out for you

  • mouse likes this

#3 Sjk0930

  • Member
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Australia

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:07 AM

Hi Adriana,
Letting you know that we are in very similar boat to you. We have had 2 cycles with lots of eggs and no blasts. I dont know where we can even go from that! Just know my thoughts are with you too. Wishing you all the best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poor egg quality, failed ivf, augment, donor egg