• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bre

Bre
  • Global 100+
  • 274 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hey guys! Did anyone have any luck with DHEA?

I apologize if there is already a thread regarding this topic! If so, can you point me in the right direction!

Thanks so much!

35, Endometriosis, TTC 5 years

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

There was a new study out in 2017 which basically pooled all the studies thus far. Although it found "that the clinical pregnancy rates were increased significantly in DOR patients who were pre-treated with DHEA (OR = 1.47, 95% CI: 1.09–1.99), whereas no differences were found in the number of oocytes retrieved, the cancellation rate of IVF cycles and the miscarriage rate between the cases and controls". 

Before rejoicing however, it then only took the data from randomized controlled trials (more rigorous trials where bias is greatly reduced), and basically found "a non-significant difference in the clinical pregnancy rate (OR = 1.08, 95% CI: 0.67–1.73)". However these randomized control trials were small, and the paper recommended larger randomized controlled trials.

The paper concluded "that DHEA supplementation in DOR patients might improve the pregnancy outcomes".

I took DHEA for at least 6 months before my first IVF and continued into my second. I think a minimum of three months is recommended.

#3 sophia_cop

sophia_cop
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hi Bre! From what I've read, DHEA can be beneficial for some, but in certain cases detrimental -  such as in older women, those with DOR, and PCOS. I suffer from DOR and IVF #1 only retrieved 4 eggs/1 embryo and BFN; I started using DHEA for IVF #2 and #3, which didn't seem to improve my response or egg quality. After switching REs, he took me off DHEA because he believes it was working against me; that IVF I retrieved 10 eggs/8 fertilized/4 blastocysts that are awaiting PGS. I still don't know if those embryos are normal, but I did have the best response I've ever had. Not sure if this was due to stopping DHEA or other factors, but in my case it definitely helped to NOT take it. 

This is just one source of information...I'm sure there are others:

https://haveababy.co...n-certain-cases

Good luck with everything!

Me-37 (DOR), DH-33 (no issues)
Low AMH, normal FSH
Blocked tubes
Stenotic Cervix

High NK cell activity (diagnosed Apr. 2018)

June 2016 IUI #1- BFN
Aug 2016 IUI #2- BFN

Dec 2016 IVF#1: 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 1 made to day 5 AB blastocyst-FET=BFN

July 2017 IVF #2: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized, both made to day 5 (AB, BC) blastocyst- FET=BFN

Jan 2018 IVF #3 (new RE): 6 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 1 fertilized, day 3 fresh transfer (5-cell, grade 2)=BFN

Mar 2018 IVF #4 (new RE): 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 made to day 5 & biopsied for PGS **awaiting results**

May 2018: IVF #5: 2nd IVF planned for embryo banking

#4 Bre

Bre
  • Global 100+
  • 274 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :)

35, Endometriosis, TTC 5 years