- - - - -

Maximizing chances....

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Still - I was on the Estrogen Priming Protocol, because my new doc considered me a "poor responder" since I only have one (surgically beat up) ovary with which to work. At best we can manage 6 follicles, period. The estrogen priming protocol has you taking Estrace throughout, and is considered by some to be beneficial for poor responders. (Estrace is Estradiol, a naturally occurring female hormone -- basically used as estrogen replacement therapy.)

Not sure what the name of the CD is. I'll ask when I talk to them next.

Thanks for your best wishes. I'm counting down the days to our ultrasound next week. IVF seems like a never-ending waiting game. As soon as you finish one waiting period, there is another waiting for you! :-)

Best wishes to you.

I wonder how they choose all these different protocols for poor responders. Different women seem to get variations of flare, microdose flare, antagonist, estrogen priming... and within those, different assortments of meds...my estrogen is pretty high so maybe that is why this was not suggested for me...maybe because I'm a little older...or maybe each clinic follows their own flow-chart (no AF pun intended ;) )of what to do next... It really is a guessing game, it seems...I have one slowpoke ovary that produces 1-2 follicles (so far) ... the other one is okay, producing 4-9, but has some scar tissue due to cyst removal.

Thanks for the info. Wishing luck and joy in this new waiting period!! (Also, more cake :D )

#27 maybebaby

maybebaby
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Home Decor/Renovating/Gardening...sleeping.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai Hospital RBU

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hi Everyone,
I'm frustrated b/c my TCM is only in the office 3 days per week, and this does not happily coincide with my potential ER and ET dates.

All this talk about doing what is beneficial for the patient, but then we are supposed to work around their schedule. I'm quickly losing interest in Acupuncture.

Also, my TCM didn't give me a reason for her diagnosis of 'cold and dampness'. My blood pressure has always been on the low side, and my periods have always been light. Twice when I went to her clinic, I drank milk before hand and she remarked on the white coating on my tongue -- but normally my tongue is pink so I feel sure it was due to drinking milk.

I googled 'cold and damp' and this is what came up:

Generally acupuncture treatment starts one week before menstruation starts, once every other day 20 minutes each time until the end of menstruation. The treatment continues twice a week after menstruation finishes, altogether 5 treatments for each menstrual cycle. Then, the same treatment starts again one week before the coming menstruation. The treatment is usually given for 3 menstrual cycles. The second point is that doctors should tell the patients to pay attention to menstrual hygiene and avoid eating cold and raw food. Pathogenic cold and dampness may directly invade the Zang-Fu organs because of intake of cold and raw food or hands and feet being soaked in cold water. It is particularly easy for pathogenic cold to invade the abdomen through the three Yin meridians of the foot. Other pains may also be caused due to invasion of cold into the human body which blocks the meridians and affects a free flow of Qi and blood.

In view of its clinical manifestations, cold-pain in the lower abdomen during the menstrual period, which responds to warmth is the sign of cold; while white-sticky tongue coating is the sign of dampness. The lower abdominal dull pain during or after the menstrual period which can be slightly relieved by pressing, with a pale complexion, weakness, light-red and scanty menstrual bleeding, white tongue coating, and thready-weak pulse are often caused by deficiency and loss of Qi and blood failing to nourish the uterine collaterals.

I do not have painful periods. I find her clinic room chilly and I ask for a blanket during the 'needle nap' -- so does this mean I have a cold uterus? Sounds like a pile of pance to me.

<_<
ME-41 DH-41 TTC 5 years AFC: 5 left, 9 right / Sperm Count & Motility good, morphology?
m/c - September 2004 & October 2005 (both natural) / furbaby - December 2005
HSC to 'have a look' - January 2006 / HSC to remove uterine polyp - November 2007
BFN after IUI - April 2008 (puregon & ovidrel) / BFN after IUI - June 2008 (puregon & ovidrel)
Cancelled proposed IVF for August 2008. Have decided not to pursue aggressive means of conception.
--------------------
Posted Image

#28 Lea

Lea
  • 1000+
  • 1654 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi Ladies,

If you ask me getting a BFP, is just luck of the draw. I don't think changing your diet or getting accupuncture done is going to change much.

The first time Dh & I did IVF/ICIS everything was great - no bumpy ride at all - no red flags. Just got a chemical pregnancy at the end. I was already eating healthy. I don't drink or smoke and I exercise so not sure if changing my life around would grant me a BFP.

One thing that I did try was accupuncture. Now, I know that some people swear by this - but I think it's a crock - money grabber - again my opinion. I have no interest in doing acc. again.

I truly believe there is no magic answer to become pregnant - I just pray one day that it will happen for all us, no matter what we do or think.

Lea
me 42 DH 44
TTC: November 2005
MF: low sperm count

July 2007 #1 IVF & ICSI = BFN
---------------------------------------
2 frosties in the freezer!
FET #1 Jan 25 /08 = BFN
May 2008 #2 IVF & ICSI = cancelled
July 2008 #2 IVF & ICIS = BFP!!
4 frosties in the freezer.
Our Daughter, Dani, Born April 29, 2009.
----------------------------------------
FET - April 2010 = Fat lady sang....though not the tune i was hoping for - BFN
----------------------------------------
Sept 2010 #3 IVF/ICIS
Synarel check sept 15 - E2 81
B/W sept 19 - E2 430
B/w & u/s sept 22 - E2 2063
B/w & u/s sept 25 - E2 5878
B/w & u/s sept 26 - E2 8282
ER - Sept 28 - 12 eggies
ET - Oct 1..... transfered 3-8 cell grade A
Beta Oct 14 - Fat lady is singing that nasty tune again - BFN
-----------------------------------------
RE follow up November 1st. RE says Dh swimmers are of poor quality and my eggs MAYBE old 'cause i'm 40 (lovely) only way to rule out my egg quality is to try donor sperm.
November 30 - great now i find out my tubes are blocked! frigg!
-----------------------------------------
Jan 2011 #4 IVF
Lupron supression check Jan 20 - E2 - 753 (needs to be under 200)
Jan 25 b/w E2 - 109
Jan 30 b/w - E2 - 714
Feb 1 b/w & u/s - E2 - 1705
Feb 4 b/w & u/s - E2 - 5795
Feb 5 b/w & u/s - E2 - 7946
ER - Feb 7 - 12 eggies
ET - Feb 10....transferred 1-9 cell, 2-8 cell - grades 1 & 2
Beta - Feb 24 14dp3dt - 37
Beta #2 - Feb 26 - 16dp3dt - 85
Beta #3 - Mar 4 - 444 rose by 73%
u/s mar 18 - no sac. no nothing.......beta 791
march 31 - ectopic pregnancy confirmed - thanks fat lady!!!!!
-------------------------------------------
FET Sept 28, 2011
Beta - Oct 13. Oh this Fat Lady - she sucks! BFN
-------------------------------------------
Purchased my ticket for my last & final ride on the rollercoaster!
Nov 2011 IVF/ICIS #5
Nov 25 b/w - E2 - 179
Nov 30 b/w & u/s - E2 - 2196
Dec 3 b/w & u/s - E2 - 4973
Dec 5 b/w & u/s - E2 - 9050
Dec 7 - ER - 9am
Dec 10 - ET - 4 embies.....3-8 cell, 1-7 cell....all Grade 1
Beta - Dec 25, Christmas day!!!!!, Santa, I'm not asking for much.....just a double line!!!
Early beta Dec 22 - 421!! Thank you Santa!
Beta Dec 29 - 2659
U/S - Jan 16 - OMG, TRIPLETS!!!! ALL measuring 7 wks ALL with very strong h/b
U/S - Jan 30 - Triplets doing well. Strong h/b, measuring on track 9+weeks.
Feb 3 - Appt. with High Risk OB - misscarried 1 baby, Twins are strong.
U/S - Feb 10 - Twins are doing well!!
NT Scan Feb 17 - very good Heart beats 160-165
U/S - March 8 - 14 weeks - babies are doing great
U/S - March 30 - 17 weeks - can find out gender........but i passed - i want the ultimate surprise!
U/S - April 19 - 20 Weeks - cervix length - awesome....5.6cm!
U/S - April 27 - 21 weeks - babies are doin' good!
U/S - May 10 - 23 weeks - cervix length 5cm - babies good - heart rates 140 -149.
U/S - May 24 - 25 weeks - check up went well.....confirmed that i will be induced or scheduled c-section for 38 weeks!!
U/S - June 8 - 27 weeks - cervix length still locked and loaded.......5cm babies looking good - baby A 2lb 7oz baby B 2lb 12oz
U/S - June 28 -30 weeks - baby A still bum down and baby b head down.....it's looking like a c-section for me!
U/S - July 13 - 32 weeks - baby A has turned (head down) their weights - baby A 3lbs 15 oz and baby B 4lbs 3oz
U/S - July 23 - 34 weeks - both babies doing well - measuring right on track.
U/S - July 27 - 34 weeks - part 2 - just getting a 'quick' u/s done - babies lookin' good...though, baby B is being squished by baby A.....
U/S - Aug 3 - 35 weeks - induction date decided!! thank goodness - 'cause I am done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Induction date is August 18th - but I am already 2-3cm dialated - so we'll see if I meet 'the date'. Baby A weighs 6 lb 6 oz and baby B is 5lb 15 oz.
U/S - Aug 13 - 37 weeks - still sitting at 3cm dilated - confirmed induction date with L&D August 18th.

This pregnancy has been a long haul and I'm glad that it's nearly over!

Our 2 healthy baby boys arrived on Sunday August 19th - we are thrilled and over the moon......family is finally complete and now we can move on to the next chapter in our lives.......

#29 hopeful_flyer

hopeful_flyer
  • 1000+
  • 1320 posts
  • Interests:belly shots, ass shots, bloating, cramping, dildo cams and broken hearts. Oh, and vajay suppositories.
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

I'm thinking I should take up smoking, drinking full time, and go and pick up some bouncer from a bar, and WHAMO.

*snort*

Happened to a 35+ year old garbage can I knew....and boy, that was a kick in the butt. :(
ttc #1 Since Jan 2006. as of April 09 that means ttc for 40 months. Jebus. *sigh*
Bilaterally blocked tubes discovered Dec 2007
IVF#1 June, 2008 agonist protocol
300IU gonal f, 13 days of stims. Nothing to transfer.
EPIC FAIL
IVF#2 Started BCP for Antagonist protocol Oct 9, 2008 (menopur and centrotide)
Last BCP, Nov 2, 2008
First U/S Nov 2, start 300iu Menopur Nov 7, 2008
Back for daily scans and bloods starting Nov 11, 2008
U/S showed 5 follies between 1.1 and 1.25 start Centrotide today.
Nov 13 U/S showed 7 follies between 1.2 and 1.5
Next U/S Nov 14 10 follies
Trigger Nov 15
ER date, Nov 17th
6 retrieved.
4 mature and ICSI'd, 3 dividing on day 1.
3 still alive on day 2
ET Nov 20, 2008. All 3 going back!
8 cell grade 2, 6 cell grade 2, 7 cell grade 3 put back.
8dp3dt Brown spotting
AF arrived Nov 28, WAY early, thanks a lot...*sigh*
Beta Dec 1, 2008 (what is the point? NONE)
RE appointment April 27, 2009 to discuss IVF#2, and then I think we are done. Oh well, was a fun ride? *snicker*

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will not live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine. -Atlas Shrugged

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”- Einstein.

Posted Image
Blinkie Maker

#30 sweetredpepper

sweetredpepper
  • 370 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/Foothills/Victoria

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

I'm thinking I should take up smoking, drinking full time, and go and pick up some bouncer from a bar, and WHAMO.

*snort*

Happened to a 35+ year old garbage can I knew....and boy, that was a kick in the butt. :(

LMAO, too funny! :D
Me: 38 DH: 40
TTC since Sept 2004
Unexplained
2 x IUI w/ Clomid BFN
IVF May 2007 Cancelled (poor response)
Surprise natural preg. June 2007
M/C July 2007
Took a break after m/c
Repeat HSG June 2008 found large polyp
Operative Hysteroscopy and D&C Aug 2008
IVF #2 Nov 2008 Converted to IUI (4 follies)
Beta Dec. 1st. BFN :(
Another surprise natural BFP Feb 2009.
Mar 09: 9-week u/s- foetus stopped developing.
Mar 09: D&C :(
Aug 09: IVF "conversion cycle" cancelled. Worst response ever- 2 follicles. Last chance at ART, so we're done.

#31 hopeful_flyer

hopeful_flyer
  • 1000+
  • 1320 posts
  • Interests:belly shots, ass shots, bloating, cramping, dildo cams and broken hearts. Oh, and vajay suppositories.
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

I forgot to add pill popping and obese.

Why is life so unfair????????
ttc #1 Since Jan 2006. as of April 09 that means ttc for 40 months. Jebus. *sigh*
Bilaterally blocked tubes discovered Dec 2007
IVF#1 June, 2008 agonist protocol
300IU gonal f, 13 days of stims. Nothing to transfer.
EPIC FAIL
IVF#2 Started BCP for Antagonist protocol Oct 9, 2008 (menopur and centrotide)
Last BCP, Nov 2, 2008
First U/S Nov 2, start 300iu Menopur Nov 7, 2008
Back for daily scans and bloods starting Nov 11, 2008
U/S showed 5 follies between 1.1 and 1.25 start Centrotide today.
Nov 13 U/S showed 7 follies between 1.2 and 1.5
Next U/S Nov 14 10 follies
Trigger Nov 15
ER date, Nov 17th
6 retrieved.
4 mature and ICSI'd, 3 dividing on day 1.
3 still alive on day 2
ET Nov 20, 2008. All 3 going back!
8 cell grade 2, 6 cell grade 2, 7 cell grade 3 put back.
8dp3dt Brown spotting
AF arrived Nov 28, WAY early, thanks a lot...*sigh*
Beta Dec 1, 2008 (what is the point? NONE)
RE appointment April 27, 2009 to discuss IVF#2, and then I think we are done. Oh well, was a fun ride? *snicker*

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will not live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine. -Atlas Shrugged

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”- Einstein.

Posted Image
Blinkie Maker

#32 maybebaby

maybebaby
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

I forgot to add pill popping and obese.

Why is life so unfair????????

Yeah, unfair to the poor little child that was born of that union!

#33 maybebaby

maybebaby
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hi Ladies,

If you ask me getting a BFP, is just luck of the draw. I don't think changing your diet or getting accupuncture done is going to change much.

The first time Dh & I did IVF/ICIS everything was great - no bumpy ride at all - no red flags. Just got a chemical pregnancy at the end. I was already eating healthy. I don't drink or smoke and I exercise so not sure if changing my life around would grant me a BFP.

One thing that I did try was accupuncture. Now, I know that some people swear by this - but I think it's a crock - money grabber - again my opinion. I have no interest in doing acc. again.

I truly believe there is no magic answer to become pregnant - I just pray one day that it will happen for all us, no matter what we do or think.

Lea

Agreed.

I have mixed feelings about Acupuncture -- so far I'm thinking it's a crock -- but I'm willing to try it on ER and ET day if it might help blood circulation and relaxation.
My RE doesn't buy into it either, but said "it can't hurt". I'm hoping she's right. lol

No one (GP, RE, Insurance Co. medical) has EVER said anything to me about my b/w showing that I'm dehydrated -- that's was on 2 coffees a day, wine with every evening meal and maybe one glass of water a day (if that) (btw: DH believes that the hype about 8 glasses a day of pure water is completely unsubstantiated).

I've decided now that I will continue to drink my ONE caffeinated coffee per day (reason to get up in the morning) + continue to enjoy a glass of wine now and again up until Retrieval.

However, I will up my daily water intake substantially to see what happens this time around. Since I don't have to be in the office, I can afford to visit the bathroom umpteen times a day!

I too, pray that it will happen for all of us, in spite of what we do or think.
ME-41 DH-41 TTC 5 years AFC: 5 left, 9 right / Sperm Count & Motility good, morphology?
m/c - September 2004 & October 2005 (both natural) / furbaby - December 2005
HSC to 'have a look' - January 2006 / HSC to remove uterine polyp - November 2007
BFN after IUI - April 2008 (puregon & ovidrel) / BFN after IUI - June 2008 (puregon & ovidrel)
Cancelled proposed IVF for August 2008. Have decided not to pursue aggressive means of conception.
--------------------
Posted Image

#34 Sweetbird

Sweetbird
  • Global 100+
  • 347 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sorry to hear things didn't work out (yet) for so many of you. I didn't do too much special, I just ate as if I was pregnant thinking that I wanted to make my body as welcoming as possible. I did do the pineapple core around implantation time (my OB says that is an old wives tale though!) Other than that I just tried not to worry and stay positive. Good luck to you all!
Me: 40 DH: 41
TTC 6 yearsMe: Unexplained Fert DH: Fine
2002 - Clomid
2007 - Clomid
2008 - First IVFE/R - March 8 E/T - March 11 (3 embies)
A Boy!! Sebastian 7lbs 3oz Born November 18, 2008
Time to try again!!
FET - May 26
Beta June 10th - BFP!
June 19th - Chemical
August 6th - Start sniffing!
FET Sept 9
Sept 24th BFP!!
Oct 7th U/S - Two little beans
Oct 12th U/S Baby A-125 Baby B-106
Oct 26th U/S One H/B 175 and wiggling
Nov 15 - NT Scan Baby passed away at 10 weeks