Transfer 1 or 2 embryos - thoughts? What decision did you make? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Transfer 1 or 2 embryos - thoughts? What decision did you make?

FET IVF PCOS

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Texas Tech Reproduction

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

So DH and I have just done a cycle that resulted in 5 blasts that tested normal during pgs testing and frozen.

We decided not to do a fresh transfer because I have 2 fibroids that need to be removed.

I understand that the goal of the transfer is to result in a single pregnancy. With the normal result, our RE has mentioned transferring only 1 Embryo. I will, of course, discuss this further with him but is there any merit in transferring 2? 

What are your thoughts?

This will be our first transfer and I am 33.

I understand the risks but I want to maximize our chances of getting pregnant. I would appreciate any input or insight you guys have so I can go to my RE armed with info and good questions.

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Me: 33 DH: 32

DX: Me: PCOS, DH:Vasectomy

IVF#1 Feb 2018

Feb 22nd - ER - 14 retrieved, 10 fertilized

Feb 28th - 6 biopsied and frozen

Mar 06th - PGS results - 5 Normal, 1 inconclusive(sample didn't have enough DNA matter to test)

May 15th - Had surgery to remove fibroids.

FET#1

Sept 6th - Lining check(8mm) and Bloods (E2=405, P4=<1) All good smile.png

Sept 13th - FET

Sept 24th - Beta      - 11dp5dt - th_abfp.gif  HCG=185

Sept 27th - Beta #2 - 14dp5dt -                HCG=633

Oct 1st     - Beta #3 - 18dp5dt -                HCG=3,528 

Oct 4th     - Beta #4 -  21dp5dt -               HCG=6,857

Oct 8th     - Beta #5 -  25dp5dt -               HCG=13,442

Oct 11th   - U/S #1   -  28dp5dt -               Calendar=6wk 5dys - GA=6wk 3dys - FHR=127bpm yahoo.gif preggo.gif

Oct 23rd   -U/S #2   -  40dp5dt -               Calendar=8wk 3dys - GA=8wk 2dys - FHR=176bpm

Nov 8th    - U/S#3   -   56dp5dt -               Calender=10wk 5dys - GA=10wk 3dys - FHR=180bpm

Nov 26th  - O/B appt  - Everything went great and little bean is on track!

#2 irish.allyson

irish.allyson
  • 28 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with twins from transferring two embryos.  It was a long road that brought us to transfer two, I had three failed transfers before that and one was after two rounds of ERA testing, so honestly on my end it was out of pure frustration  However it was not a decision that was made lightly and my RE spoke with the high risk OB I was planning on seeing if I did become pregnant and had is medical approval as well.  I was 36 at the time.  

I won't sugar coat it, this pregnancy was been really tough!! Carrying twins is no joke! I had a lot of complications in the beginning including two massive bleeds because of sub-choroniac hemotomas.  Thankfully everything has settled down now, but if the bleeding had continued I could have been a risk for pre-term labour.  

Since your embryos are PGS tested, you are young and no history of implantation failure or miscarriage (from what your signature says) I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor will only transfer one embryo.  I find most doctors will not jump straight to two embryo transfer and would like to try 1 first, or for the couple of times etc.  

Me: 37 PCOS, Low Thyroid DH: 37 No Issues

DS: 6. Conceived w/ 1st IUI & Super Ovulation

TTC #2

03/2013 - IUI#1 BFN

06/2013 - IUI#2 BFN

07/2013 - IUI#3 / IVF#1, Conversion cycle 12R, 8M, 7F, Transfer 1, No frosties BFN

---Break----- Countless cycles of Femara, lots of ovulation but always BFN

08/2016 - IVF#2, 30R, 29M, 21F, 18 great quality frozen embryos (freeze all due to OHSS)

09/2016 - FET#1 BFN 

10/2016 - FET#2 BFN

04/2017 - Surgery to remove polyp

05/2017 - ERA #1 P+5 = Post Receptive

06/2017 - ERA #2 P+4 = Pre Receptive

08/2017 - FET#3 w/ adjusted protocol based on ERA results BFN  *WTF!*  

10/2017 - FET#4 BFP yahoo.gif1st Beta 12dp5dt = 290, 2nd Beta 19dp5dt = 6418. 

10/23/17 - 1st Ultrasound = TWINS! 

11/14/17 - 2nd Ultrasound - Twin A HB is 172 and Twin B HB is 168, officially moving on to an OB!  

02/07/18 - Anatomy Ultrasound at 21 weeks, everything looks great and babygirl.gif babygirl.gif  Team PINK!!!

05/07/18 - Two healthy girls delivered 6 weeks via emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia 

Baby A 4 lbs 2 oz, Baby B 3 lbs 9 oz - everyone doing well and our family is complete! 

#3 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, Allyson,

I was definitely focused on getting pregnant and wasn't really thinking about how hard a pregnancy with twins would be. I will have to factor that into my thought process. 

IVF#1 Feb 2018

Mar 06th - PGS results - 5 Normal, 1 inconclusive(sample didn't have enough DNA matter to test)

FET#1

Sept 13th - FET

Oct 11th   - U/S #1   -  28dp5dt -               Calendar=6wk 5dys - GA=6wk 3dys - FHR=127bpm yahoo.gif preggo.gif

Oct 23rd   -U/S #2   -  40dp5dt -               Calendar=8wk 3dys - GA=8wk 2dys - FHR=176bpm

Nov 8th    - U/S#3   -   56dp5dt -               Calender=10wk 5dys - GA=10wk 3dys - FHR=180bpm

#4 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

I believe most clinics store two embryos to a straw and when they thaw one, they thaw both.  So if you only transfer one, the other will need to be refrozen, and that's riskier.  We intended to transfer two this time around, but one of the embryos did not survive, so we ended up with one transfer.  So far, we have had two excellent betas.  The ultrasound is next week. 

Advised Not to Get Pregnant: Circa 1994 or 1995 (I was FIFTEEN!!!)

Married: August 2010

Started Adoption Process:  January 2013

Started Researching Surrogacy: August 2016

Found Embryos: November 2016

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's  Second Transfer: October 2017 (one FET) - BFN

Surrogate's Third Transfer: December 2017 (double transfer) - BFN

Moving on to donor eggs...

New donor embryos available!!! Trying with them

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

Harmony tests show that we are low risk and we're Team babyboy.gif

#5 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

I do not think it's true that clinics freeze "two to a straw" where 2 always have to be thawed, at least not "most" clinics (certainly mine does not).  Given that single embryo transfers are now the preferred norm, and most good clinics using vitrification have 95-98% thaw survival rates, this would not make any sense.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#6 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

writegal and sunshine -  Thanks for the input, asking if they store more than one embryo in a straw is definitely going on the question list.

IVF#1 Feb 2018

FET#1

Sept 13th - FET

#7 Micky07

Micky07
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Hi, I am new to this thread and in the similar situation. Got my PGS results 10 days back with 4 normal embryos. About to start Embryo transfer cycle this month. I am so much confused whether to go for 1 or 2 embryo transfer. My RE suggested for one but I am thinking should we go for 2 so that the chances are increased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: 35 PCOS, DH: 39 No Issues

TTC #1 (Clomid Cycle)

Feb 2016 - BFP, Miscarriage at 7-8 Weeks. No heart beat.

Jan 2017 - BFP, Miscarriage at 7-8 Weeks. No heart beat.

Mar 2017 - Did all the tests for recurrent miscarriage including chromosomal test for me & DH. All came out negative.

TTC #2 (IUI)

July 2017 - BFN

Sep 2017 - BFN

I Was frustrated with the miscarriages and stopped trying.

Dec 2017 - BFP (conceived naturally, Again Miscarriage at 7-8 Weeks. No heart beat.)  Sent the tissue for chromosomal abnormality test, however result came out 'no enough tissue for validation'.

Feb 2018 - IVF PGS was suggested as Chromosomal abnormality was the only thing left out in the cards and was not tested.

TTC #3

Mar 2018 - Stated IVF PGS cycle.

Apr 2018 - 12 Eggs Collected, 9 Fertilised and 6 made to blastocyst stage. 6 Embryos for PGS tested. 4 Normal.

May 2018 - About to start my Embryo transfer cycle now

#8 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Hi Micky,

We have thought long and hard about this and we have decided that we want to transfer 2 embryos. Although the ideal outcome is still a single pregnancy we have decided based on the following reasons:

• The money - as harsh as it is to say, money is a big factor. We are not planning on doing another IVF cycle because I don't want to end up destitute. Each transfer additional transfer will cost us $3,000 US and I know the money shouldn't be a big factor in bringing a child into the world but for us it is. It took a long time for us to save for the cycle.
  • I don't have a small frame so if we were to get pregnant with twins then I not too concerned about the size of my body being an issue.
  • My body is pretty tough, apart from the reproductive issues I have always been fairly healthy and not prone to sickness. Drs are always surprised when I tell them my only surgery was having my tonsils removed when I was 4. So I feel like my body can handle twins if it needs too.

Of course, I still have to speak with my doctor and he might convince us to go with one embryo but that's my thinking right now. What are your thoughts?

IVF#1 Feb 2018

FET#1

Sept 13th - FET

#9 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Not sure where Micky is based out of, but my anecdotal impression is that it is more common for Drs to agree to transfer 2 in the US than it is in Canada -- most especially for PGS normal 5-day embryos in someone who has never otherwise had multiple failures, this is almost asking for multiples, which no Dr can ethically do.  FETs are also not $3000 US ( $4000 Cdn) in Canada, usually closer to $1500 Cdn. 

Frankly in the grand scheme of what has been spent to get to this point, and when we are talking health and life of mother and potential child, to base it on the cost of FET seems naïve, especially in terms of the huge cost of raising twins (even more so if they are born prematurely and/or with medical issues).

Micky have you been tested for immune issues?  With so many early miscarriages, you could transfer 2 and then find out there is an issue with the protocol or with yourself, and then you've lost 2 good PGS-normal embryos for nothing.

A multiple pregnancy doesn't only pose a much higher risk to the mother, but also a much higher risk to the babies.  Higher risk of pre-term birth, higher risk of losing one (or both), higher risk of labour distress or issues, and higher risk of lifetime medical issues.  Also, what happens if 1 embryo splits?  It is not unheard of (including on these boards) for 2 to become 3.  All things which must be considered, beyond simply cost and whether you believe your body can physically handle it (which really no one can predict).

• CdnHockeyGal, schlepp, hopefuldadsomeday and 1 other like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#10 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Rach,

I concur with Sunshine and others around caution in transferring 2 PGS normal embryos at your young age.

I totally appreciate the financial strain and stress of IVF. I'm there with you.

Twins are no joke, though. The divorce rate is higher for people who have twins. And the mortality rate is higher or the possibility of premature birth and longterm health consequences for children born this way. I know of a case where a woman transferred 2 and they both took and then she lost one twin prematurely. The other one lived (barely) with massive medical intervention and still has ongoing health consequences that impacts the life of this family every day since the child's immune system is not strong.

All of these things can impact a person's long-term mental health. I'm talking about all the members of the family here.

After going through infertility, I'm all for minimizing any further trauma for myself when I take any steps.

In our case, we did PGS as a strategy to reduce anxiety early on (it did once I was pregnant) and so that we could transfer one embryo at a time.

All the best with this.

north

• Lamb likes this

#11 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Please don't misinterpret this post as minimizing the risks of a twin pregnancy, twin birth or the absolute tsunami of raising them the first two years but when someone has already decided to transfer two embryos it seems there is a tendency to jump to the absolute worst case scenarios. I have twins and living in a large city have met many, many fellow families of twins. Roughly 20 percent of those families experienced the scare and complications of extreme premies. Although the risk certainly exists, I have yet to meet a family whose children had healtn complications as a result of being a twin. I also had a full term singleton pregnancy a few years later. Was it easier on my body? Absolutely. Was it easier on my sanity? Absolutely. But I certainly don't regret transferring two embryos and having twins nor do I wish I had had them one at a time. Just a different perspective from someone who has experienced both pregnancies.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#12 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Sunshine and North,

Thanks for your perspective. I tend to think of the best case scenario and can (I believe) tough it out through a draining pregnancy, I didn't think of the greater implications. I'll have to think about it again and weigh it all up. I know that if implanting 1 embryo had the same success rate and implanting 2 embryos, I would be absolutely only transferring 1 embryo at a time.

From0to3,

Thank you for the 'not worst case scenario', it alleviates some of the guilt for the irresponsibility of wanting to transfer 2 embryos.  

IVF#1 Feb 2018

FET#1

Sept 13th - FET

#13 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

Twin mom here! I ended up transferring two high quality blastocysts after many, many unsuccessful transfers. We were shocked to learn that both implanted given our poor transfer history. I ended up having a tough pregnancy and spent the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy in hospital. One of my twins was struggling and it was a very scary time. My twins were born 8 weeks early at 32 weeks. My struggling twin weighed just over 2 pounds at birth and spent 5 weeks in hospital. Her sister was 3.5 pounds and spent 3 weeks in hospital. I was very healthy before getting pregnant. There was just no way of knowing of the complications that ended up developing during my pregnancy.

Having said all that, I love my girls with all my heart and wouldn't change my decision to transfer two. But twins aren't for the feint of heart... they are a crazy amount of work! I knew all of this before getting pregnant but of course you can't really understand the craziness of twins until you live it day and day out. Luckily we have a lot of support and help with our babies.

All this to say, I understand the desire to transfer two although if this is your very first transfer, I'd be inclined to transfer one. If that cycle fails, perhaps consider transferring two during a subsequent transfer. Best of luck to you!
  • Khám phụ khoa likes this

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#14 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

I wasn't meaning to give only the negative -- there isn't anyone going through IVF who has not pondered the 1 vs 2 question -- merely to point out that there really are a lot more things to consider than just the cost of another FET and the baseline health of the female.  I personally know someone who had a perfectly healthy twin pregnancy and delivered the babies at full term 40 weeks (both about 8lbs... yes, she was enormous).  I also know someone who had a much more complicated twin pregnancy and ended up delivering 3 months premature -- her 2 girls spent 3 months in the NICU, at the start of which no one knew if either would make it.  Both moms were healthy to start, if anything the latter I would have said was the healthier/stronger of the 2.  And since she lived in a smaller city she basically had to uproot her life to go be with her girls at the hospital an hour away for those 3 months.  If in the U.S., there might be a financial/health insurance/lack of mat leave consideration if something like that were to happen, which could then also be something to consider.

#15 SJSP

SJSP
  • 69 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

My clinic would not transfer 2 PGS tested embryos, they said it's because the chance of twins is too high and dangerous for mother and babies(s). We only had 4 and it did take 4 transfers to get a BFP - we had some implantation issues. So in the end I'm happy that we did one at a time to give us more "chances." 

• Mocha Cake likes this

#16 Micky07

Micky07
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Hi Rach, Kind of similar thoughts running in our mind..

My concern is what if we transfer 1 embryo and if it dint not pick up? We will have to go through another cycle which is stressful and expensive. I am based in UK and not sure whether there will be additional charge if we choose two embryos.

Why I keep thinking about two is, worst case we shall have one implantation if atleast one picks up. best case we might end up having twins. But I am also reading the stories of twin moms on how stressful the twin pregnancies might be.

I am not confident about my body whether I can handle twins, but for me im thinking in terms of pregnancy, I have never gone through it and I dont know how it would be so might as well go through the twin pregnancy..

We still have not made the decision. I started my medication for ET cycle now and due for my next u/s on 22/May. Need to make a decision before that. My gut feeling says to go with two. Need to have one more discussion with my RE.

#17 Micky07

Micky07
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Hello Sunshine & North.

Thanks for highlighting your view on the risks of have two transferred.

I am based in UK.

I did take tests for recurrent miscarriage. Not sure if there is any specific test for immune issue. RE did not recommend anything specific. For my early miscarriages, my RE was thinking that only left out reason for miscarriage is chromosomal abnormalities as all other possible test have come out negative. Had consultation with two different private doctors and they both suggested that either I can wait for 6months, try naturally and see how it goes or can go for IVF PGS.

I did not think about embryo split.. I dont think I can handle such situation. Thanks for highlighting the risks. I think we need to have one more discussion with my RE and make a wise decision excluding the cost factor.

Thanks!

#18 Nicole85

Nicole85
  • Global 100+
  • 137 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hey Rach,

Nice to see you again. The time is getting closer to begin another cycle soon. I had lots of failed clomid cycles, IUIs and 1 failed IVF in February 2018. The only thing I ever had close to pregnancy was a chemical and that's it. The doctor thought it was my sugar so I went for a 3 hour sugar test and it came back normal. I go back to the doctors June 6th so we can discuss my plan. 

When I did IVF, they only retrieved 9 mature and only 7 fertilized. Only 2 of my embies made it to day 5 morulas so he transferred them both. I was really upset I didn't have any to freeze. However, none of them took.

Maybe the protocol I was on had something to do with my poor embryo quality, I'm not sure. I hope to have a better response the second time, but after a lot of thinking, I am going to transfer 2. I think everyone's experience is different and therefore has a different opinion. I just know that nothing has worked for me so far and I've been TTC for at least 3 years. I am also 33 years old and my husband is 34 with no issues. It just feels impossible sometimes especially when everyone else is getting pregnant all around you and they already have their kids. I just want to do what will give me the best chance of conceiving after trying all these years. And if it does result in twins, I will be very happy and am prepared to take on that responsibility. 

Nicole

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FET, IVF, PCOS