• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dmccoubs

dmccoubs
  • 19 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Hi girls! I figured I would start a new forum for those currently cycling or planning to cycle in 2018. 

Also, there is totally no pressure at all but I also started a facebook group that you can consider joining called "Winnipeg Infertility and IVF Support Group". 

Let me introduce myself! I've been going to Heartland for over two years and am currently 10 weeks pregnant with my miracle baby. It's been a tough few years filled with some very dark days but seeing that healthy little heartbeat made every single second of this storm worth it. 

Where are all you girls in your cycles?? 

• HappyWpeg and EuroMixCeltNord like this

July 2014 - began ttc
August 2015 - got a referral to Heartland
January 2016 - our first appointment at Heartland
February 2016 - HSG appointment
April 2016 - BFP!!!!! 🎉
May 9/16 - pregnancy confirmed
May 24/16 - 1st ultrasound ...heartbeat detected but slow. M/C likely.💔
May 30/16 - 2nd ultrasound- no heartbeat 💔😭
June 16/16 - D&C
August 2016 - femara prescribed (5mg cd 3-7)
December 2016 - femara dosage increased to 7.5 mg's

March 2017 - Stopped Femara and began 150 mg's of Clomid

June 2017 - First unmedicated cycle since August, 2016

June 2017 - Registered for IVF. 

August 8/17 - Scheduled to begin Birth Control.

Sept. 21/17 - Started stims

Sept 30/17 - Cycle canceled. Not responding to any medication sad.png

October 19/17 - Start birth control for a second attempt at an egg retrieval

November 9/17 - Started stims

November 20/17 - Egg Retrieval!!! 28 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized and 4 made it to day 5!!

January 23/18 - Transfer day smile.png

Feb 2/18 - Beta Day! BFP!!! 10dp5dt Beta is 160!! Due date: October 13, 2018

#2 Tlkuh

Tlkuh
  • 36 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

I had my beta today! Hopefully should find out this afternoon. Im experiencing brown old blood when I go to wipe for about 3 days nows. Not sure what it is? Prometrium irritating the cervix? I had a 5 day fresh transfer. First time ivf er!

#3 dmccoubs

dmccoubs
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

I had my beta today! Hopefully should find out this afternoon. Im experiencing brown old blood when I go to wipe for about 3 days nows. Not sure what it is? Prometrium irritating the cervix? I had a 5 day fresh transfer. First time ivf er!

Omg keep us posted! So exciting! 

I had quite an irritated cervix from the prometrium which resulted in pink spotting. I was shoving it up my snatch as far as it can go and once I stopped that, and just inserted it a little bit, it stopped! I would think your brown spotting is just from your stretching uterus! Even though you are still very early in your pregnancy your uterus is already growing and stretching and some old blood likely escaped from a crevice. it might be a little early for implantation bleeding but that is always a possibility too. 

Thats one thing that I wish heartland prepared us better for - all the spotting we will experience!! 

July 2014 - began ttc
April 2016 - BFP!!!!! 🎉
June 16/16 - D&C

November 20/17 - Egg Retrieval!!! 28 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized and 4 made it to day 5!!

#4 Tlkuh

Tlkuh
  • 36 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

Its a negative!

#5 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Tlkuh - Im so sorry to hear that. Take the time you need to take care of yourself.

Dm - congrats! Love hearing positive stories as we are used to supporting each other only through the hard times. Your positive info about spotting was well timed. (See below.)

AFM - 5 yrs ttc; 1 fresh ivf transfer - bfn
Currently waiting on beta Monday for FET. Started spotting today, which did not happen to me during my bfn w ivf (bled within 24 hrs of stopping prometrium) so Im reminding myself that this is different from last time and that is good! I may take your advice about the prometrium. Ive been really getting it in there too! For me Im not PUPO but straight up pregnant this time. No other option ;)

#6 dmccoubs

dmccoubs
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Its a negative!

Im so sorry :( Was the beta 0? Sending you healing and comforting vibes.

July 2014 - began ttc
April 2016 - BFP!!!!! 🎉
June 16/16 - D&C

#7 dmccoubs

dmccoubs
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Tlkuh - Im so sorry to hear that. Take the time you need to take care of yourself.

Dm - congrats! Love hearing positive stories as we are used to supporting each other only through the hard times. Your positive info about spotting was well timed. (See below.)

AFM - 5 yrs ttc; 1 fresh ivf transfer - bfn
Currently waiting on beta Monday for FET. Started spotting today, which did not happen to me during my bfn w ivf (bled within 24 hrs of stopping prometrium) so Im reminding myself that this is different from last time and that is good! I may take your advice about the prometrium. Ive been really getting it in there too! For me Im not PUPO but straight up pregnant this time. No other option wink.png

Hi Laurie, how was the beta?????

July 2014 - began ttc
April 2016 - BFP!!!!! 🎉
June 16/16 - D&C

#8 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

BFP!!! I cant believe it!! We are so excited! Now we are just praying for our babe to arrive safely and be healthy at the end of Nov!

Its just a reminder that it can happen and its worth the 5 yrs of bfns!
  • dmccoubs and HappyWpeg like this

#9 MoJo

MoJo
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Heartland/VFC

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

Dmccoubs - Congrats on your pregnancy!  

Tikuh - so sorry about your BFN.  Do you have any embryos frozen to try again when you are ready?

Laurie - Congrats!!  Praying for a nice sticky baby!

Little update from me - We just found out that our first IVF out in Victoria ended in a chemical pregnancy.  We are devastated.  I'm trying to take some comfort in the fact that at least we know my body can get pregnant - that's the furthest I've made it in 4 years!  Now we just need to find a nice strong embryo.  We don't have any frozen embryos so we'll be starting over with Round 2....probably sometime this summer.  

#10 HappyWpeg

HappyWpeg
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Dmccoubs & Laurie - Congrats ladies on the BFP!!!

Tikuh - so sorry about your BFN, but don't give up, keep trying.

Okay Ladies Keep the baby dust come our way too babyboy.gif.  I will be cycling in 2018, we have not decided when we are going to start cycling.  We will be going in the first week of April to sign our forms, so we will go from there.  Thanks :)

#11 HappyWpeg

HappyWpeg
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, I am a member of the group which dmccoubs indicated above, thank you so much for doing that :D

And here is the link for ladies who are willing to join - https://www.facebook...51335232211203/

I hope this would work now. 

#12 dmccoubs

dmccoubs
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

WOWOW Laurie congratulations!!! Such a happy time :) I just said a prayer for you and your little baby. I hope the first trimester is kind to you. 

Mojo - I am sorry for your loss. Good for you for trying to see the silver lining but don't let yourself internalize the grief of loss by trying to stay so positive. Take time for yourself <3 Will you do your second round at VFC? We saw Dr. Hudson for a bit last year before we decided to move forward with IVF at heartland. He is wonderful! 

July 2014 - began ttc
April 2016 - BFP!!!!! 🎉
June 16/16 - D&C

#13 MoJo

MoJo
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Heartland/VFC

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Mojo - I am sorry for your loss. Good for you for trying to see the silver lining but don't let yourself internalize the grief of loss by trying to stay so positive. Take time for yourself <3 Will you do your second round at VFC? We saw Dr. Hudson for a bit last year before we decided to move forward with IVF at heartland. He is wonderful! 

Thank you.  It's amazing how quickly you get attached so it definitely feels like a huge loss even though it was so early.  We are taking this month off from all things TTC and doing a bunch of non-pregnancy friendly stuff before starting again.  We will be cycling again at VFC.  The travelling sucks and I really love Dr. Appleby at Heartland so it would be nice to do it locally but now that we know we are dealing with some immunological issues on my end, VFC makes more sense for us since they seem to have more knowledge in that area.  

#14 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Thank you everyone!!

Mojo - Im so sorry. You are definitely taking the right frame of mind. Its so hard to go through this and we get attached to those little embryos bc no one else ever knows theyre there and we do! So keep taking good care of yourself.

Happy - congrats on getting things started thinking about cycling. Its really an exciting time since it feels like an actual option finally!!
  • HappyWpeg likes this

#15 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 1000+
  • 1155 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic/VFC

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

Congratulations dmccoubs on the pregnancy news!

Congrats Laurie85 on your BFP!

Tlkuh- sorry to hear the news. Sending virtual hugs.

Mojo- I'm hopeful that your 2nd cycle will turn out much better now that they have a better idea of what they're dealing with.

#16 HappyWpeg

HappyWpeg
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

Thank you everyone!!

Mojo - Im so sorry. You are definitely taking the right frame of mind. Its so hard to go through this and we get attached to those little embryos bc no one else ever knows theyre there and we do! So keep taking good care of yourself.

Happy - congrats on getting things started thinking about cycling. Its really an exciting time since it feels like an actual option finally!!

Thank you Laurie85.  Yes, I am excited, but I am also feeling nervous and anxious all the time, I dunno why.  This is our first ever trial with IVF and we both are terrified about that.  I am also scared of needles, it is so overwhelming.  I am trying to focus on the outcome, but it is tough.   We are going to HL in the first week of April to sign papers and I think we need to inform them when we are ready for cycling.

To all the ladies who have gone through this already - Any insights or thoughts about the procedure would be greatly appreciated so that I would prepare for it, including financial options, etc.  I will also read the 2017 thread as well.  Thank you so much in advance. 

#17 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

Happy - one thing I will throw out that I said during my FET was that if I could turn back time I wouldve done a frozen transfer to begin with. The reason being your body is still so crazy after egg retrieval. I felt so much more calm during the FET experience. The only bloodwork was for my BETA. See how you feel, but just a thought.
Also, I used the Mindful IVF app to calm myself after each injection. It can be a stressful experinece, but you will get better at it. Deep breaths!
The Assiniboine Pharmacy HL works w is wonderful to deal with and worth the trip.
  • HappyWpeg likes this

#18 Autumn28

Autumn28
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility Clinic

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

hi ladies! DM congrats! hoping for a safe & healthy pregnancy for you.thanks for creating the 2018 group.

Laurie! omg! i'm so happy for you. love these positive news as it gives me hope that it really is possible.

asf been ttc for almost 5 yrs. had 2 polyp removals, last one was dec. last yr. 1st FET-BFN in Feb. WTF appt on Apr. 9th with Dr. Appleby. dealing with the bfn was hard for us, it was harder because we only had 1 embaby, but we are ok now.

i have pcos and DH has morphology issues.we are waiting for our tax return and would definitely go for a 2nd round of IVF/ICSI maybe later this yr. this time i'm thnking of doing a fresh transfer if possible.

#19 HappyWpeg

HappyWpeg
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

Happy - one thing I will throw out that I said during my FET was that if I could turn back time I wouldve done a frozen transfer to begin with. The reason being your body is still so crazy after egg retrieval. I felt so much more calm during the FET experience. The only bloodwork was for my BETA. See how you feel, but just a thought.
Also, I used the Mindful IVF app to calm myself after each injection. It can be a stressful experinece, but you will get better at it. Deep breaths!
The Assiniboine Pharmacy HL works w is wonderful to deal with and worth the trip.

Thank you so much for your insight Laurie85, it really helps.  I will download that app too smile.png  By the way, I did discuss the option of FET with Dr. A during my appointment and she said we can try that too, but first she wants to do a fresh transfer.  A little update from me, we have signed the papers and now waiting for AF to arrive and get started on BCP.  We still have to go for our teaching (injection) session.  Keeping my fingers crossed, it hope it goes well for us. 

#20 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Havent been on here in awhile!

Happy - how is your journey going?

Autumn - thank you! Wishing you the best with round two. We just got our tax return for last year, so hopefully youve received yours too!
  • HappyWpeg likes this

#21 HappyWpeg

HappyWpeg
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hello Laurie,

Unfortunately they have pushed my cycle because of my TSH levels.  They are supposed to be somewhere between 2 it seems, but mine were around 3 :(  So they have asked me to wait for a month and then I go in for my blood work in June and depending on those results I will be scheduled to cycle.  I am thinking since the clinic's lab is closed in the month of July, I am worried if they will let my cycle or may be I will have to wait until August.  It is beyond frustrating that we cannot do anything about it.

Thank you for checking up on me, I appreciate that :)  How are things with you? 

Yeah, I noticed that this page has been so quiet for some time now.  How is everyone?

#22 Laurie85

Laurie85
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

That sucks, Happy. I hate feeling out of control. I hope your levels are good in June and you are able to cycle before they close for July.

AFM - no complaints. Have learned that working with HL definitely has its benefits.

Wishing everyone the best!

#23 AllyPM

AllyPM
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hi there!

I am super excited to know that there is a supportive community here for IVF in Canada. My husband and I just had our first appointment with Heartland this June and hoping to start IVF-ICSI this September! I am trying to do as much research I can so that I know what kind of questions to ask, but there is just so much information out there. I was hoping I could get some tips from them forum.

One thing that just crossed my mind is the PGS, and wondered who would consider getting this done? Is it mostly for a piece of mind or does the clinic encourage different couples wether to do it or not.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated as well as any other new client tips!!
  • CdnHockeyGal likes this

#24 Mocha Cake

Mocha Cake
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

Hello everyone,

I am waiting for our appointment with Heartland Winnipeg and I am wondering about a lot of things. Hopefully someone from here can give me an idea.

1. How long should I wait to get an appointment?
2. How much will IVF really cost and how is the payment done?
3. Is the payment only for 1 try? If it is unsuccessful will I have to pay again to do another?

Thank you in advance.

#25 hs4816

hs4816
  • Global 100+
  • 492 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

I dont know their current wait lists, sorry. You can ask the receptionist though.

Cost varies depending in the drugs you are on. Will end up being somewhere between about 14k and 20k. Th meds are the deciding factor and nobody can predict how much you'll actually need until you're in the thick of it. I found a pharmacy I could work with and got a lot of airmiles! Also, I think they offer PGS now, which is quite expensive if you choose it.

Each full cycle costs the whole amount. If you're lucky, you get more than one embryo from 1 cycle and dont have to start over at the beginning if your first round is unsuccessful. I know people who did one round of IVf (so like $20k) and ended up with many embryos and more than one pregnancy over the years. I also know someone who did 3 cycles (so 60K) and never got a single embryo.

It's a really long road and can be overwhelming. This is a safe and supportive space!
Good luck
  • Mocha Cake likes this

I'm 41 with endo

IVF #1: March 2016: Long protocol: Suprefact (200)/Menopur (225)

9 follicles => 4 eggs => 3 mature => 3 fertilized (ICSI) => 2 blasts (one transferred, one frozen)

BFN

IVF #2: June 2016: Microdose flare: Suprefact (40 BID)/Menopur (150)/ Gonal (300)

7-10 follicles (?) => 12 mature eggs => only 4 fertilized w/ICSI => transferred 2 @ 3days and 1 blast frozen

BFP: day 14 beta = 93, day 18 beta 557 (37h doubling time)

.... it stuck and we welcomed our boy March 2017!

back on this crazy journey again: June 6, 2018: FET #1...