Is it wrong to want triplets?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chrono2484

chrono2484
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

My partner and I are starting our journey with IVF. Is it wrong to want triplets?

#2 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

My partner and I are starting our journey with IVF. Is it wrong to want triplets?

Medical risks are high for triplets.  Twins are a high risk pregnancy. 

Triplets increases the absolute risk significantly.  Risk means serious stuff like stillbirth, birth injury, birth defects, health of the mother.

• ilovemydogs and CdnHockeyGal like this

#3 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

I know a few mothers of triplets from the boards. Do not underestimate the stress & incredible medical risks in a multiple pregnancy.
  • ilovemydogs likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#4 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

As a new mother of twins who experienced a tough pregnancy and delivery, and who is now 3 months into a level of sleep deprivation I didn't know was possible, there's no way I would be able to cope with triplets personally. More than once my husband and I have looked at each other and said "imagine we had had triplets instead?!" and couldn't imagine being able to cope. My hat is off to triplet mamas!!!

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#5 chrono2484

chrono2484
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far. My partner and I want a larger family but going through IVF which is scary, and a rollercoaster journey and can be quite expensive. If this was our only chance at a family, that was the thought of triplets.

#6 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

If you have multiple embryos, the ones not transferred can be frozen and transferred later. Transferring a frozen embryo is much cheaper and easier than a full IVF cycle.
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#7 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far. My partner and I want a larger family but going through IVF which is scary, and a rollercoaster journey and can be quite expensive. If this was our only chance at a family, that was the thought of triplets.

Carrying twins is high risk.  Triplets much more so. 

There was an article in the NYTimes the other day about a woman who had triplets.  She went into labor early, and her son died 2 days after birth.  The other two babies were on oxygen for months. 

#8 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:22 PM

I suppose the thing with having kids, is it is hard to know how many you may want until you have one. Then theres the pregnancy, delivery, baby stage, etc. Some women hate being pregnant. Some women have high risk births. Some have demanding babies and years of sleep deprivation. It is hard to know how many kids you may have until you know more factors. Take it one day at a time.

See about me page.

#9 Munchy40

Munchy40
  • Global 100+
  • 353 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

Im having triplet C in four days. I lost triplet A and B in the first trimester. Huge loss emotionally.

#10 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:48 AM

chrono2484 - I was somewhat similar to you... I wanted twins... obsessed with having twins actually, that on our first IVF meeting with our RE both my hubby and I had ask if he could transfer two.  RE flat out said no, due to high risk that it posses.  We're now into our 3rd cycle and still on-going and no take home baby yet, however time had made me reconsider, especially after seeing a friend of mine have her identical twins.... needless to say, I'll be happy to have ONE instead.... I don't think to this day she's slept more than 2 hours and they are almost one year old.....  Good luck to you and your partner tho whicheer route you decide!  heart.gif