Gonal-F multidose pen overfill - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Gonal-F multidose pen overfill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

I was trying to find the right discussion thread to post this, and although I know this has been discussed previously, I just couldn't find the overfill discussion. For those that don't have their medicine covered by insurance, I think this is an important topic so I started a new thread.

I started tracking how much overfill my 300IU pens have, and so far all of them have been at 62.5IU overfill. Since the structure of the pens is the same between the 300, 450 and 900 IU, I assume that the overfill will consistently be the same.

Some clinics have the same price per IU irrespective of the dose of the pen, so then it always makes the most sense to get the smallest pen, because with the 300IU you are getting over 20% extra while with the 900IU, it's about 7%.

Someone also pointed out to me and I have noticed that even after getting the injectable overfill, there is still some liquid left in the pen. This time around I will try to extract it and see how much more I can get from the pens and I'll post when I figure it out.

#2 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 725 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

My wife noticed the same with her puregon cartridges.  She found there was roughly 75 units overfill regardless of whether she bought the 300 unit or 900 unit cartridge.  So economically, it would have been cheaper to buy 3x300 units cartridges vs 1x900 unit cartridge.  However, that means she'd have to inject herself several times to get those last amounts (she was on 300 units daily), so she opted for the 900 unit cartridges in the end.

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I'm okay with the extra injections, but understand how some may not want to do it.

As an update, today I took three 300IU pens and extracted with a needle and syringe any remaining liquid in the tip that won't inject with the pen. I managed to get the equivalent of 105 IU, so another 35 IU per pen. That means I am just under 400 IU with a 300 IU pen.

For me it is totally worth it as all the medication is out of pocket for us, even if I have to do two injections in a night. I understand that not everyone will be comfortable to do the required IU to mL conversions, but for me it was easy. I can't believe I just saved another $100.

• schlepp likes this

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

There's some variation between 300, 600 & 900iui as to how much overfill there is. At least there was when I cycled. :-). I can't recall the formula conversion to draw out and inject with a reg syringe...so I just used to do multiple pokes as well. :-)
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#5 Acat

Acat
  • 69 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

My clinic immediately sold me 2 900 pens. I used 100iu from the second pen and that is it. I was so ticked. They also oversold me other medications that I never even opened and can't take back. Hopeing maybe some of them can be used in my FET cycle?

#6 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

My clinic would also automatically give me 900 IU. I think their perspective is that it is less hassle as they assume you will be using the full amount. It is hard for them at times to predict how much medication you will need, especially during the first stimulation cycle. It is not common for gonal-F to be used in FET cycles. I have had to resort to it as exogenous methods of estrogen have not thickened up my lining enough during my last two attempts.

With medication, it is best to buy what you need until the next bloodwork/utrasound. I know it is too late for your cycle right now, but perhaps the unopened ones you can use in the future.

#7 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

This is not medical advice. I am not a doctor or nurse. What I did myself is below. But always check with your doctor/nurse. I take no responsibility if this goes wrong. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. You've spent enough on a cycle that, while this savings is great, if you make a mistake or the below is incorrect, it is not worth it. 

Disclaimer out of the way, for the equation when you draw the last bits of the pen into a syringe; a 300iu pen = .5ml (this is stated on the gonal f box). So for each .25ml you can get out, you're at the equivalent of 150iu. I recommend doing this with a max .5ml syringe  for accuracy. If you're collecting from multiple pens, I also recommend using a fresh needle syringe with what you have in the end. Rub alcohol on the tops of the cartridge etc. before you try to withdraw. There are youtube videos that show how to withdraw from the cartirdige. 

If you want to get a different number, you can times the iu you need by .0017 to get the ml conversion. I got .0017 by dividing .5/300. 

I would only use amounts that are fairly easy to draw up with accuracy. Example: 50 iu = .083333 but 150iu = .25. 

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#8 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

Schlepp you were my original inspiration. This is exactly what I did.
  • CdnHockeyGal and schlepp like this

#9 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Currently on 300 iu a day right now for an IUI. Every iu counts!!!

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#10 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Currently on 300 iu a day right now for an IUI. Every iu counts!!!

I know what you mean. I'm at 150 for an FET, but it will be over two weeks of stims IF I get the lining thickness I need. I hope your IUI goes well. Best of luck.

• schlepp likes this