10 replies to this topic

#1 JEM

JEM
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:16 AM

Hi there,

I am scheduled to have my first IVF/ICSI start on March 10-11th/18. My AFC and my AMH is excellent and all of my blood work has come back normal. However, my TSH shows to be 4.1 and I am a little worried. It has always been within the normal range. My doctor has said it isn't too much to worry about bc he has started me on Synthroid and should be enough time to lower it before the start of the cycle. Should I be worried about a cancelled cycle and will this medication lower it in time to begin? 

Thank you in advance :) 

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

Hi! It's around 8-12 weeks that your tag levels become important. You have more than enough time to fix before then. Good luck!

See about me page.

#3 JEM

JEM
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Thank you for your response. I was nervous that 4 weeks wouldn't be enough time to regulate. 

#4 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Levels according to my RE should be under 2. They started you on medication so I wouldn't worry. I am sure they will continue to monitor it.

#5 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Ideally you want a TSH of less than 2.5 to prepare for the first trimester of pregnancy (that is the desired range for TSH then). It takes 4-6 weeks for levels to stabilize after starting treatment, so it important to monitor and adjust the dose accordingly.

• mouse likes this

#6 JEM

JEM
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

Thank you for your response. Do you think 5 weeks is enough to lower from 4 to 2.5? We are scheduled to start injections next Friday or Saturday? I start Estrodot this Friday. I am terrified it won't be low enough. Will this cause a failed cycle? 

#7 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

That should be fine. It may require some adjusting. That being said there is no evidence of a significant increased risk of issues with mild subclinical hypothyroidism in early pregnancy, so even if you weren't quite at the 2.5 mark it should be ok and the dose can be adjusted further.

• mouse likes this

#8 JEM

JEM
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

Thank you Dr Hartman for your response. Do you think it will interfere with a successful cycle? If it fails could this be a contributing factor? Should we change the date to be safe? I am support to start meds on Friday/Saturday and I'm so nervous.

#9 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

While I couldn't say for certain, current evidence suggests it should not be a major contributor at that level

• mouse likes this

#10 Hopeful Cdn

Hopeful Cdn
  • 69 posts
  • My Clinic:In India (I'm Cdn though)

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:49 AM

I have a question regarding this as well... my TSH was recently 5.65 and the lab cutoff in India used reference value was 5.6 upper limit. So they started me on the lowest dose 12.5 mcg of thyroxine. I have heard people say now that if you start taking it you can never come off but the surgeon who did my PRP injections said that my levels are pretty much ok for normal but not pregnancy and could stop taking it later on.... so Im not clear on if I start this medication will I become dependent on it rest of my life?

#11 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

There is no reason to assume you would need to be on thyroxine outside of pregnancy, you would just need to monitor your TSH levels and see if they increase

• mouse likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TSH