#1 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Hi all,

Anyone at AART doing an FET cycle this month or next? I thought I'd start a clinic-specific forum and see if there was anyone else in the area joining me!

We have one frozen embryo and this will be our first FET. We did our first IVF cycle in May 2016 and ended up with 2 day 5 blasts. We transferred one and froze the other. I was hospitalized with severe OHSS, but baby held on and we were blessed with a beautiful little girl in February 2017.

My day 1 was yesterday, so I'll be starting Suprefact nasal spray March 6th. I didn't take Suprefact with my IVF cycle, I did the antagonist BCP protocol instead, so I'm not sure what to expect with this. 

Hoping there are others out there in the same boat as me! Would love to get a little support group going and chat with you about your experience!

• atlanticrn likes this

Same-sex couple using frozen donor sperm
Me: 31     Wife: 32 

IUI March 2016: th_abfn.gif

IVF #1 (May 2016): 10 eggs retrieved May 30, 2016, 8 fertilized with ICSI. 2 made it to day 5 blasts. One embryo transferred on June 4, 2016, one frozen. Hospitalized with OHSS for 1 week. th_abfp.gif  June 19, 2016, beta hcg 987! Perfect baby girl born February 12, 2017 babygirl.gif  

FET #1: Transferred one 5 day blast on April 9, 2018. th_abfp.gif April 25, 2018, beta hcg 1595! 8 week ultrasound showed baby measuring on track with heart rate 140-160bpm! Due date December 26, 2018.

#2 ascuteaspushkin

ascuteaspushkin
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

I am gearing up for my FET. I also did an antagonist protocol and didnt have the nasal spray. I actually just started my Suprefact yesterday, so gross! I just cycled in December / January. I ended up doing a freeze all since my OHSS risk was high. I ended up in the hospital so I am glad we didnt do a fresh transfer. We have 6 embryos frozen so hopefully we wont have to do another IVF cycle.

#3 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi I had a freeze all in December as I also had severe OHSS. It seems like it happens more at AART than their stats let on... My FET was a fail... :(

#4 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

"Hoping there are others out there in the same boat as me! Would love to get a little support group going and chat with you about your experience!"

Thank you for starting this thread!

I'd love to get a support group going. I couldn't find anything on facebook.

#5 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Hi ascuteaspushkin and atlanticrn! Im so happy to get some replies on this post. I apologize I didnt reply sooner, for some reason the notifications were going to my junk folder and Im just seeing them today.

Ascuteaspushkin - how are you making out on the suprefact? I start mine next Tuesday and am kind of nervous about taking it. Ive heard some women get awful headaches from it, and Ill have to sneak around work to take it as we keep our cycles pretty private. Thats great that you got 6 embryos from your IVF cycle! Will you be transferring one or two? OHSS is definitely no fun. I was a high risk as well, and also ended up in the hospital. My symptoms got significantly worse once the embryo implanted, but things worked out in the end so we feel very blessed for that. I think if we did it again though I would opt for a freeze all cycle to try to avoid as severe OHSS.

Atlanticrn - Im so sorry your FET didnt work out. Do you mind me asking if you have any more embryos to try again? Do you know your plans going forward? This has been a great platform for me to find support and people to talk to while going through this. We have kept everything about our fertility treatments private, so its great to have this space and meet others who can relate to what youre going through. Im always here for a chat if anyone needs someone to listen :)

IVF #1 (May 2016): 10 eggs retrieved May 30, 2016, 8 fertilized with ICSI. 2 made it to day 5 blasts. One embryo transferred on June 4, 2016, one frozen. Hospitalized with OHSS for 1 week. th_abfp.gif  June 19, 2016, beta hcg 987! Perfect baby girl born February 12, 2017 babygirl.gif  

FET #1: Transferred one 5 day blast on April 9, 2018. th_abfp.gif April 25, 2018, beta hcg 1595! 8 week ultrasound showed baby measuring on track with heart rate 140-160bpm! Due date December 26, 2018.

#6 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Hi ascuteaspushkin and atlanticrn! Im so happy to get some replies on this post. I apologize I didnt reply sooner, for some reason the notifications were going to my junk folder and Im just seeing them today.

Atlanticrn - Im so sorry your FET didnt work out. Do you mind me asking if you have any more embryos to try again? Do you know your plans going forward? This has been a great platform for me to find support and people to talk to while going through this. We have kept everything about our fertility treatments private, so its great to have this space and meet others who can relate to what youre going through. Im always here for a chat if anyone needs someone to listen smile.png

I have one more embryo left but its not great quality so I don't have super high hopes for success with my next rounds. I was hoping that the clinic would have some answers for me, but they just offered to do another FET. I don't know if I should just right in with my next cycle or take a break. 

Do you find you have much involvement with the doctors at AART? I thought I would have more contact with them.

I got very bad headaches with the suprefact but I think its a very common side effect. Are you doing it 5 times a day?

#7 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

atlanticrn - That's a tough decision for sure. When it came to our fresh cycle I recall them being very particular about the grading of the embryos, and would not transfer or even freeze embryos for future use if they didn't think they could be successful, so don't lose hope! We also have only one remaining embryo, and I've been finding that stressful worrying about what if it doesn't survive the thaw etc.

We've had great experiences with all the doctors at AART. I was actually surprised at how wonderful they all were, from the first consult all the way through my OHSS and hospitalization. I've kind of grown to expect to be treated like a number instead of a patient, but they really surprised us with how much they seemed to care. I wouldn't say we necessarily had a lot of contact with them as the nurses did the majority of the work during our appointments, but we definitely can't say anything negative about them. I'm sorry if your experience was different :(

I'll be taking the Suprefact 5x/day, not looking forward to all the headaches people are reporting. 

Do you mind my asking, was this your first IVF cycle? I'd love to hear more about your fertility history and get to know you better. I'm an open book so feel free to ask any questions too!

#8 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hi

I wish suprefact was available in a different format as well. I found it hard to tote around and sneak a sniff every four hours ;p. I'm hoping you don't get any headaches. Do you find the process long? it seems like it takes longer for their protocols vs ones I read about in other forums.

This was my first IVF cycle. I had over 60 follicles  30 eggs retrieved and was only left with 2 to freeze.... I was so shocked we didn't have more to work with.

Would you go through with another IVF round if this FET isn't successful?  

#9 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Atlanticrn - I guess I havent looked a lot into other clinics protocols, so I didnt think theirs was abnormally long. Although everything about this feels long when youre so anxious to get to the end and have positive results. Thats a really impressive number of eggs retrieved! I was shocked when I only had 10 eggs retrieved and only 2 made it to day 5 blasts. I was hoping and expecting for a lot more, but its so unpredictable. It only takes one though, I just keep telling myself that. Its stressful knowing we just have one left, but were so blessed to have what we have either way. If this FET doesnt work out I think we will do IVF again, although when we can do it again is up in the air. Its a lot financially, not to mention the time off work and we are a 4 hour drive to the clinic. Also Im terrified of OHSS again, but Im sure theyd have me do a freeze all and hopefully it would avoid that. Have you given anymore thought to when you might do another FET?

#10 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

I think we will try to do another FET soon. How goes the suprefact?

#11 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

That's exciting, how are you feeling about moving forward with another FET? I'm 3 days into Suprefact and it's going alright. I had really bad headaches the past couple days, but only in the afternoons for some reason. Just taking it day by day and hoping I get a period.. I've been hearing lots of women have delayed or skipped periods while taking Suprefact.

#12 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

I'm nervous about being on meds again  I forgot how good I felt being off hormones! suprefact headaches are the worst!

#13 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

It's really hard taking the meds sometimes! I don't think our partners have any idea the emotional and physical rollercoaster it puts us on. I have silent alarms set on my fitbit and I dread the next time it vibrates telling me to take my Suprefact mellow.png  It's also difficult seeing friends and family getting pregnant so easily, on their first try, and knowing it's not that easy for us. 

#14 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

do you know who is going to do your FET?

#15 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

I have no idea who it will be. I'm just assuming it'll be whoever is on that week.. I don't even know when the transfer will be as I'm waiting for AF to arrive. With my IVF cycle I seemed to have all of the doctors at one point or another. Dr Bouzayen did our initial consult and my egg retrieval, but Dr Hamilton did the embryo transfer. Then when I got OHSS it was Dr Ahn who admitted me to the hospital. I found them all great to work with, but it does make me a bit nervous not knowing who will be doing the transfer. Is there one Dr in particular that you worked with last time, or did you have all of them too?

#16 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

I only had hamilton and Dr. B. I don't think Dr. Ahn works there anymore.

#17 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

I think youre right, her name isnt on the website anymore. Im hoping itll be Dr Bouzayen or Dr Hamilton. Have you talked to the clinic and made a plan to move forward? Im still sniffing Suprefact and waiting for AF to arrive. This is day 30 of my cycle and Im getting worried the Suprefact is delaying or will make me not have a period at all.

#18 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

I'm going to call them next cycle. I needed a break lol. Did you get your period? I find it strange that they don't do any bloodwork for the estrogen or progesterone  

#19 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

I finally got my period on March 18th so I started Estrace on the 19th. I have an appt April 3rd for a lining check. I don't blame you for needing a break, this process is mentally and emotionally exhausting. I wondered about bloodwork too but I figured it must not be that important for an FET. It's a good question to ask next time I talk to them though. I find myself getting anxious off and on about things like my lining, the thawing process, waiting for the beta etc. This isn't an easy thing to go through.

#20 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

I feel like its such a long wait for everything. It seems longer than other clinics for beta testing. Good luck on the 3rd!

#21 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

Yes it does, I have been thinking that recently. I'm in another group on here and most of the women are going for betas within 8-10 days after their transfers. The AART protocol form says the beta is 16-18 days post transfer. That seems like a really long time to wait, and I wouldn't be able to resist testing at home before then. I have my lining check on Tuesday morning so think thick for me!

#22 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:13 AM

How was the lining? do you have your transfer date yet?

I wish there was a more active community for AART out there.

#23 eatpraylove

eatpraylove
  • Global 100+
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:35 AM

I know what you mean, theres really nowhere to chat with other people from AART. The other forums are great but everyone is from a different clinic and the protocols can be so different. Its hard to follow and keep track of all the people in them too.

My lining check went well. I measured at 9.6mm and I just started progesterone this morning. Transfer is Monday at noon. Im anxious about it as its the only frozen embryo we have, but excited at the same time.

How are you doing? When are you expecting your next cycle to start?

#24 atlanticrn

atlanticrn
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Monday thats great! good luck I hope everything goes smoothly :)  I'm going to call with my next day 1 any day now!

#25 ladort

ladort
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

I go to AART too :) i have to call day 1 to start (probably in May)
Me: 29
DH: 25
TTC: 3 years
AART in Halifax, NS
Dx: MF (retrograde ejaculation, OAT)
11 healthy frozen sperms

First IVF cycle
Retrieval 22 May 18: 16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 5 fertilized
Fresh Transfert 27 May 18: 2 embryos tranfered