ivf dor ttc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sophia_cop

sophia_cop
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I'm 37 years old with DOR (low AMH, normal FSH) and have been TTC since 2015 and have NEVER experienced the thrill of seeing a BFP- ever. Never a chemical, nothing ever close to it.

At first, we were TTC naturally, then moved on to 2 IUIs and 3 IVFs and still no success.

The 2 REs I have worked with both recommended that donor eggs may be the only option at this point.

I feel so hopeless knowing I have never and maybe never will see two lines on a pregnancy test.

Is anyone else in a similar situation of never having a BFP (ie. no chemical, miscarriage, pregnancy)?

Trying not to give up hope.

Me-37 (DOR), DH-33 (no issues)
Low AMH, normal FSH
Blocked tubes
Stenotic Cervix

High NK cell activity (diagnosed Apr. 2018)

June 2016 IUI #1- BFN
Aug 2016 IUI #2- BFN

Dec 2016 IVF#1: 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 1 made to day 5 AB blastocyst-FET=BFN

July 2017 IVF #2: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized, both made to day 5 (AB, BC) blastocyst- FET=BFN

Jan 2018 IVF #3 (new RE): 6 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 1 fertilized, day 3 fresh transfer (5-cell, grade 2)=BFN

Mar 2018 IVF #4 (new RE): 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 made to day 5 & biopsied for PGS **awaiting results**

May 2018: IVF #5: 2nd IVF planned for embryo banking

#2 Balance

Balance
  • Global 100+
  • 341 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hi Sophia,

I am in that situation.  

My husband and I started trying to conceive naturally in 2011 and after a year and a half we were getting impatient and wanted to get answers so we went to our local fertility clinic.

Well fast forward 7 years and we still have never seen a BFP.  Nothing, nada, not even a spec of the slightest faint line.

I can commiserate with you but I can't offer any good news yet as I am still waiting on my BFP but after many years of trying at various fertility clinics we now have 11 frozen Day 5 & 6 embryos thanks to donor eggs and donor sperm.

We are very hopeful that 2018 will be the year that we see our first BFP.

Don't give up hope!  If you are open to it start to explore your options.  There are many ways to get you that BFP and even though it may not be in the way you imagined you would be creating a family we are so lucky to be living in a time where there are options open to us.

Best of Luck!!

Me- 35 36 37 38 39 40 DH- 34 35 36 37 38 39 ; Male Factor TTC since 2011 Ottawa Fertility Centre Feb 2013, Montreal Fertility Centre June 2013, Switched to McGill 2014, Montreal Fertility Centre 2014 & 2015, OFC 2016, Markham 2017 & 2018 Greater detail in About Me

FET - May 10, 2018.  May 19 + HPT!! 1st Beta May 22 - 435!! 2nd Beta May 24 - 995!! June 21st - IT"S A BOY!!! babyboy.gif  EDD January 26, 2019

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif Our son arrived on January 18, 2019 heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif 

FET #2 - Oct 6, 2019. ++++ We are pregnant again.  Having another boy! babyboy.gif EDD June 23, 2020

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif Our 2nd son arrived on June 25, 2020 heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif 

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3328 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

sophia_cop you are definitely not alone, though I am sorry you find yourself here. What were the results of your IVFs in terms of egg retrieval, fertilization and development? With DOR often times the next thing to consider like your REs and balance have said are donor eggs. Is that something you would ever consider?

#4 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Can you tell us what tests have been done? Have you and hubby had genetics screenings? Have you had an endometrial receptivity test done? Tested for autoimmune issues?

Using DE can be a godsend, but need to know what the reason is for no bfp first as there are other reasons beyond eggs that you could be having repeated implantation failure.

See about me page.

#5 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:TV, movies, books, puzzles and video games
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

I never had that positive test either (I also have DOR). After too many tries for us (everyone has their own limit), and the doctor also saying our only option was donor eggs, we decided to adopt. Sincerely every month there is still a slight hope that my period will be late and I will do a test and get the BFP, but at least now that I moved on, it is not a soul crushing desperation when I don't.

You are not alone.

TTC since 2012 (plus 2 years around 2008/2010). I'm 37 years old, husband is 28. 

Karma: Unexplained. 3 Failed IUIs with injectables in 2014. IVF #1: 5 day embryo transferred, 1 frozen. BFN. FET #1: 1 6 day embryo 2AB. BFN

One Fertility: DOR. AMH of 5.8 (Canadian). IVF #2: 2 eggs fertilized (ICSI), transferred 2 day 3 embryos. BFN

Adoption with CAS: Adopted a baby boy! Home since November 6th, 2016, adoption finalized June 26th, 2017.

#6 sophia_cop

sophia_cop
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I don't want to say it's comforting to know there are other people out there going through this, since I wouldn't want to wish this heartache upon anyone, but I appreciate your words of encouragement. 

@quandry- Neither of my 2 RE's ever mentioned doing autoimmune testing or pre-genetic screening on me (DH is all checked out fine). Is this something routinely done on DOR patients? If so, I am disappointed my REs never brought it up. My impression from them is they automatically assume it's an egg quality issue and that's why it's failing. I really wish they would at least rule these other issues out rather than suggesting DE right away. My first RE did mention ERA testing after my 2nd failed IVF, but I was a little skeptical at first about its value. Do you believe this is worthwhile in your opinion? I appreciate your suggestions!

@returnable - My results were:

IVF#1: 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 1 made to day 5 AB blastocyst-FET=BFN

IVF #2: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized, both made to day 5 (AB, BC) blastocyst- FET=BFN

IVF #3 (new RE): 6 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 1 fertilized, day 3 fresh transfer (5-cell, grade 2)=BFN

As for DE, I've gone through stages: at first, definitely no. Then, possibly consider. Now, seeming like the only option. I've even started researching but found the donor pool for Asian eggs (I'm Filipino) is extremely limited.

@balance & aiglee- I hope our time will come soon! Sincerely wishing lots of luck during your TTC journey

Low AMH, normal FSH
Blocked tubes
Stenotic Cervix

June 2016 IUI #1- BFN
Aug 2016 IUI #2- BFN

Dec 2016 IVF#1: 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 1 made to day 5 AB blastocyst-FET=BFN

July 2017 IVF #2: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized, both made to day 5 (AB, BC) blastocyst- FET=BFN

Jan 2018 IVF #3 (new RE): 6 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 1 fertilized, day 3 fresh transfer (5-cell, grade 2)=BFN

Mar 2018 IVF #4 (new RE): 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 made to day 5 & biopsied for PGS **awaiting results**

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3328 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

sophia although some doctors do complete immunological assessment and treatment, there are no published large population studies in the literature that support their use in ART. Of course there will be one time cases where people may speak up on here where they believed the approach worked for them, the lack of large scale studies with positive results are still lacking.

The pre-genetic screening is used on day 5 blastocysts and enables you to determine whether there are chromosomal issues with your embryos. Although I am not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt (or perhaps a bucket), but your RE may be correct in the egg quality, especially looking at your last IVF. For the other two I would say your results as far as having day 5 blasts look good for a DOR patient. I know in the end they were all BFNs so you didn't get the result you wanted.

If you do end up moving towards donor eggs, with my experience with DEB USA, there were Filipino donors in their frozen egg bank. If that is a path you think you may pursue in the future, I would make your next IVF clinic choice based on if they work with DEB USA. DEB USA only works with selected clinics. I just checked and they have 9 donors that are Filipino at least in part.

#8 katie0618

katie0618
  • 19 posts
  • My Clinic:TRIO- Toronto

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

I also have never had a BFP. We have unexplained infertility. We have done 3 IUIs and nothing. So far 1 IVF cycle no embryos made it to either be transferred or frozen. 

I started with 35 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 3 fertilized and no blasts. 

We are going to start our next cycle end of March. I have started taking supplements to hopefully help. 

This is definately a journey I wouldn't want to see others face. I am happy we all have each other to lean on when we need it. Some family and friends dont understand nor are they willing to understand the struggles we all face sometimes on a daily basis. Many of them don't understand the heartache we have when someone announces what is a happy event for them is a upsetting event for us.  

We are very hopeful that 2018 will be our year!!

Best of luck.

DH and I are 35.

TTC since February 2015.

Both of us no kids, Never been pregnant.

Tried 5 cycles of clomid and charting nothing

Sonohysterogram July 2016 shows tubes are open.

DH SA in June 2016. Shows normal

Started at Fertility Clinic April 2017

May, June and July 2017 IUI with letrozole and ovidrel trigger- negative

Started IVF October 2017- Antagonist protocol with BCP

Using letrozole, menopur, gonal-f, orgalutran, and Suprefact trigger

Egg retrieval Nov 8, 2017- freeze all

Retrieved 9 eggs, 6 mature, 3 fertilized. Day 3 update: 3 still growing. Day 5- 1 embryo arrested. 

Met with RE- put me on vitamin PQQ. Will try another cycle in February 2018

#9 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1646 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

Sophia - You are not alone.  I did 6 IVF cycles at my clinic and never a hint of a BFP.  I always had so many follicles, always less eggs retrieved than expected, usually lost a bunch to being immature, had great fert rates but then the embryos would go downhill and I would never have any blasts on day 5.  Only ever transferred great looking morulas...and once, an early blast.  We finally came to terms with the fact that we needed to take a different path.  In April I did a DE cycle and transferred 2 blasts (4AA + 5AA).  This gave me my first ever BFP!  I am sitting here now holding my miracle twin girls who were born 9 weeks ago.

It is a difficult decision to decide to move forward with DE.  Some choose this path quicker than others.  For us, I needed to exhaust all options before my heart and mind opened up to this possibility.  But when my mind opened, I was ready and never looked back.  In your case, I would probably look into immune testing to see if there is something going on in that department.  Not all docs do this or even believe in it though so you will need to look for a clinic that does if that is what you want to explore.  PGS is also an option.  And of course, DE is always an option too.  

Wishing you good luck!

• Tess likes this

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!

#10 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

In my own egg cycles I got lots of mature eggs from my cycles, and we transferred 5 blasts in the cycles.  They were always early blasts and I never got a BFP.  

I had 2 fresh transfers and 2 frozen transfers from 3 IVF cycles before we decided to move onto Donor Egg.   We got our miracle baby, and never looked back.  It's been wonderful.

Don't give up hope.  

#11 sophia_cop

sophia_cop
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

In my own egg cycles I got lots of mature eggs from my cycles, and we transferred 5 blasts in the cycles.  They were always early blasts and I never got a BFP.  

I had 2 fresh transfers and 2 frozen transfers from 3 IVF cycles before we decided to move onto Donor Egg.   We got our miracle baby, and never looked back.  It's been wonderful.

Don't give up hope.  

Sophia - You are not alone.  I did 6 IVF cycles at my clinic and never a hint of a BFP.  I always had so many follicles, always less eggs retrieved than expected, usually lost a bunch to being immature, had great fert rates but then the embryos would go downhill and I would never have any blasts on day 5.  Only ever transferred great looking morulas...and once, an early blast.  We finally came to terms with the fact that we needed to take a different path.  In April I did a DE cycle and transferred 2 blasts (4AA + 5AA).  This gave me my first ever BFP!  I am sitting here now holding my miracle twin girls who were born 9 weeks ago.

It is a difficult decision to decide to move forward with DE.  Some choose this path quicker than others.  For us, I needed to exhaust all options before my heart and mind opened up to this possibility.  But when my mind opened, I was ready and never looked back.  In your case, I would probably look into immune testing to see if there is something going on in that department.  Not all docs do this or even believe in it though so you will need to look for a clinic that does if that is what you want to explore.  PGS is also an option.  And of course, DE is always an option too.  

Wishing you good luck!

I also have never had a BFP. We have unexplained infertility. We have done 3 IUIs and nothing. So far 1 IVF cycle no embryos made it to either be transferred or frozen. 

I started with 35 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 3 fertilized and no blasts. 

We are going to start our next cycle end of March. I have started taking supplements to hopefully help. 

This is definately a journey I wouldn't want to see others face. I am happy we all have each other to lean on when we need it. Some family and friends dont understand nor are they willing to understand the struggles we all face sometimes on a daily basis. Many of them don't understand the heartache we have when someone announces what is a happy event for them is a upsetting event for us.  

We are very hopeful that 2018 will be our year!!

Best of luck.

sophia although some doctors do complete immunological assessment and treatment, there are no published large population studies in the literature that support their use in ART. Of course there will be one time cases where people may speak up on here where they believed the approach worked for them, the lack of large scale studies with positive results are still lacking.

The pre-genetic screening is used on day 5 blastocysts and enables you to determine whether there are chromosomal issues with your embryos. Although I am not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt (or perhaps a bucket), but your RE may be correct in the egg quality, especially looking at your last IVF. For the other two I would say your results as far as having day 5 blasts look good for a DOR patient. I know in the end they were all BFNs so you didn't get the result you wanted.

If you do end up moving towards donor eggs, with my experience with DEB USA, there were Filipino donors in their frozen egg bank. If that is a path you think you may pursue in the future, I would make your next IVF clinic choice based on if they work with DEB USA. DEB USA only works with selected clinics. I just checked and they have 9 donors that are Filipino at least in part.

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories. This is my only outlet for voicing my concerns, and you guys have helped by each post your contribute.

Low AMH, normal FSH
Blocked tubes
Stenotic Cervix

June 2016 IUI #1- BFN
Aug 2016 IUI #2- BFN

#12 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

I never had a BFP with anything we tried (timed intercourse, IVF). Not a whiff of anything. Then we did the donor cycle that led to my son and I got my first ever BFP. I actually didn't believe it since I had no symptoms (until about a week or two later when the morning sickness hit in full force). I really honestly didn't believe it. It took me a long time before I could believe it. A long time.

north

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ivf, dor, ttc