7 replies to this topic

#1 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

My husband and I have gone through three rounds of IVF with a surrogate using donor embryos (I have health issues where pregnancy is considered very high risk.  My eggs are also not good due to a genetic condition).  One was a chemical and two were BFNs :(.  We are now considering donor eggs and his sperm.  However, his sperm has never been tested.  How long does the testing procedure take?  We don't really want to delay our next transfer much more, so ideally, we'd like to do one in the spring.  Is that possible?  We have a possible egg donor and if she becomes "official," she will be able to cycle for us in March.

Thanks!

Advised Not to Get Pregnant: Circa 1994 or 1995 (I was FIFTEEN!!!)

Married: August 2010

Started Adoption Process:  January 2013

Started Researching Surrogacy: August 2016

Found Embryos: November 2016

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's  Second Transfer: October 2017 (one FET) - BFN

Surrogate's Third Transfer: December 2017 (double transfer) - BFN

Moving on to donor eggs...

New donor embryos available!!! Trying with them

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

Harmony tests show that we are low risk and we're Team babyboy.gif

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

My clinic told me a sperm analysis with them takes 2-3 days to receive results from. We booked our test on our own the first time and did it at another lab. Results took 5 weeks. Definitely have your clinic do the testing.

Good luck! If youre struggling with embryo quality (even with donor eggs) I would be asking for a DNA fragmentation test as well. Results are a little longer but only two weeks if I remember correctly.

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#3 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

My clinic told me a sperm analysis with them takes 2-3 days to receive results from. We booked our test on our own the first time and did it at another lab. Results took 5 weeks. Definitely have your clinic do the testing.

Good luck! If youre struggling with embryo quality (even with donor eggs) I would be asking for a DNA fragmentation test as well. Results are a little longer but only two weeks if I remember correctly.

Thanks.  And when were they ready to be used for fertilization?  As far as we're concerned, the donated embryos we used previously had a 25% success rate.  We have the possibility of using donated embryos which have been successful at each transfer, both fresh and frozen.  But the egg donor is older (over 35 but under 40), so the "ideal" is still an egg donor, who is in her late 20s.  But if it takes time - from the actual sample until it is ready for use, then we may need to look at other options (donor sperm or the donated embryos).  

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

#4 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Im a bit confused. Would your husband not be giving a fresh sample on the day of the donors egg retrieval?

Im less familiar with analyzing and then freezing. But I think you could do that. Or even analyze one sample and then come back and give another sample to be frozen and used once you have the donor eggs if youre doing frozen donor eggs.

We had a bad experience using frozen sperm for our IVF so for our next round we will definitely be using fresh. Although we may have a frozen sample as back up in case the sample that day isnt a high enough quality.

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

Changed clinics

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

#5 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Im a bit confused. Would your husband not be giving a fresh sample on the day of the donors egg retrieval?

Im less familiar with analyzing and then freezing. But I think you could do that. Or even analyze one sample and then come back and give another sample to be frozen and used once you have the donor eggs if youre doing frozen donor eggs.

We had a bad experience using frozen sperm for our IVF so for our next round we will definitely be using fresh. Although we may have a frozen sample as back up in case the sample that day isnt a high enough quality.

I actually didn't know that my husband's sample can be used immediately (as long as it's been tested, I suppose). I thought, like (frozen) donor sperm, it had to be quarantined.  Pardon my ignorance. 

ETA:  The egg donor is an anonymous donor.  Wouldn't it mean his sample needs to be given on another day and then frozen?

#6 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 721 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

I can't remember the exact time frame, but I think my semen analysis took about 1 or 2 weeks for results to come in (did not test for DNA fragmentation).

I had to make a separate appointment to give a frozen sample as backup for our IVF cycles (e.g. they didn't use my semen analysis sample for backup).  I'm not familiar if they can freeze the semen analysis sample for use later.  You can probably check with andrology lab at your clinic and they would have answer on that.  I suspect that with fresh sample they can probably do some sort of analysis on the spot, because they told us they would only use my frozen sample if necessary.

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#7 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

I actually didn't know that my husband's sample can be used immediately (as long as it's been tested, I suppose). I thought, like (frozen) donor sperm, it had to be quarantined.  Pardon my ignorance. 

ETA:  The egg donor is an anonymous donor.  Wouldn't it mean his sample needs to be given on another day and then frozen?

I'm not sure on the procedures with an anonymous egg donor. Maybe someone else on the forum has experience with this but I feel like I've read of fresh samples being provided with egg donor cycles. I know at our clinic the andrology lab is separate from the IVF suite/surgery so I think it wouldn't be an issue if the donor is worried about bumping into the IP. I'm sure clinics have a procedure for this. Fresh is always best so, if logistically possible, I would be pushing your RE that that happens. Note that clinics all have patients do an annual round of blood test for any infectious diseases if you're doing IVF (maybe IUI too?). Those have to be up to date in order for them to proceed with collection and use of egg/sperm.  

Best of luck!

• writegal416 likes this

Changed clinics

#8 Wilbur

Wilbur
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

I've had regular SAs and a fragmentation analysis.

The FA took a couple of weeks, it had to be outsourced to another lab and the testing is more involved. It is also not usually conclusive -- my understanding is they take a single sperm and analyze it, and there is a saying in statistics: "one observation does not equal a trend". Also, our RE has told us they have seen people with high FA #s have success, and have had people with low FA #'s have failure. They recommended I not have the FA test, but I did anyway, I figure more information the better.

Regular SAs shouldn't take more than a couple of days. There is a finite amount of time the lab has to test the sample to determine the motility counts (as time progresses, the sample deteriorates.) The sample should be tested within 1-2 hours of being produced. You should work with someone who has an in-house lab.