13 replies to this topic

#1 Jamy

Jamy
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:MUHC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

Does anyone have experience with High Sperm DNA fragmentation? It was only after 2 failed IVF with ICSI transfers that the DNA fragmentation test was performed. According the urologist the situation looks bleak... Please share your experience.

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

You should try searching the forum as I know of at least one member whose husband had high DNA fragmentation and had excellent results/change with supplements. Hopefully she weighs in on it. 

Do you know what % the result was? And what were your results from IVF? Did you have a low level of fertilization? Drop off at day 3? We had poor fertilization in our round and 75% of our embryos stalled out after day 3 which the RE thinks was related to poor sperm quality. Although my partner's sperm was within normal parameters for DNA fragmentation. 

Also, there is now a new test from a company called Episona out of the US. Canadians can use it as well and it shows even more detail on the potential for sperm to create embryos.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Definitely try reading through the male factor topics as there is a lot of information in there and some success stories. 

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

This has been discussed in other areas of the forums, like schlepp suggested.

My DH had very bad DNA fragmentation and after taking Fertilpro with l-cartinine vitamins for 6 weeks his numbers improved more than we could dream. 

Schlepp - have you guys tried this test? How did you hear about it? It looks promising.

#4 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

returnable - We haven't tried it yet. Heard about it through an infertility podcast and then my acupuncturist brought it up. My debate over it is that I don't know that it would change our decision making. We want to try at least one more round and I'm not open to donor sperm. I think if we did another round and had similar results to last, we would spend the money on it to see if we sperm is a large problem. Since there is no test for aging eggs (other than trying and then hopefully getting enough for PGS) this does seem cheaper than more rounds. We are hopeful that the vasectomy reversal has improved the quality of sperm. At least we now can use fresh, mature sperm for IVF. 

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Best of luck with the next IVF schlepp.

#6 Jamy

Jamy
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for your feedback.
We have 60% DNA frag. There was no issue with egg fertilization but out of 10 only 2 made it to the blast stage. The urologist has not made any oral recommendations to improve the sperm. He mentioned that TESA is an option that may help. After all the treatments and wasting valuable time in IUI rounds before doing ivf I dont understand why this was not tested earlier.

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

DH was at 37% before the supplement and went down to 8% after the supplement. The goal is <25%. Of course there are some obvious things that should also be mentioned for sperm quality, which include no smoking, no drugs, limited alcohol, well balance diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, healthy weight, no hot baths/saunas, no tight underwear, etc. 

It is frustrating that the issue was not identified earlier. At our clinic the DNA fragmentation was in the first group of tests we had to do as part of our workup.

#8 Jamy

Jamy
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Wow what a difference! Were You successful at 8%? DH does not have great habits smoker & Alcohol. He did have poor sperm quality at the initial group work but the RE never advised on trying to improve quality. We were told that it only takes one good sperm and advised to go with Ivf and ICSI. Its only now that DH and I are discussing these habits and trying to eliminate them after the DNA frag results, 3 years into the journey!

#9 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

We had really good fertilization rates for both IVFs.

A lifestyle change is then a good route for your DH to take, but you have to understand that it is up to him and he has to be open to it. Here are a few articles to get you started:

http://fertility.ca/...-fragmentation/

http://fertility.ca/...-and-fertility/

http://fertility.ca/...-sperm-quality/

• schlepp likes this

#10 Jamy

Jamy
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Yep agree that the lifestyle change has to be part of the equation. Many thanks for the link references.

#11 Cdrake

Cdrake
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hi - I know this topic is from 2018, but just wondering how things worked out for everyone.

@returnable - what were the supplements your husband used?

#12 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

Hi - I know this topic is from 2018, but just wondering how things worked out for everyone.

@returnable - what were the supplements your husband used?

It was Fertilpro with l-cartinine. You can now actually buy it on Amazon, so it makes it easy to get (https://www.amazon.c...o/dp/B0797Z5PMM). We now have one child, so that is our result outside of the drastically reduced DNA fragmentation results.

#13 Cdrake

Cdrake
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Congrats on having a child, it always nice to hear success stories!
  • returnable likes this

#14 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 221 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

awesome news, congrats!