is it possible for FSH to rise significantly? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

is it possible for FSH to rise significantly?

fsh tubal estrogen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hi there,

So I've been so confused lately about my lab result.  I went for my routine blood work last month requested by my RE to update my profile before starting cycle #3.  And here's my result:

November 25th: 

Thyroid Function

TSH                               0.65                          0.32-5.04 mU/L

Thyroperoxidase Ab        10                           <35 IU/mL

Pituitary Function

Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)    11.4    <9.5 IU/L

Reproductive and Gonadal

Estradiol                                               197     <157 pmol/L

NOTE: Estrogen receptor antagonists and

aromatase inhibitors have been shown to
interfere with estradiol testing by some
immunoassay technologies resulting in
falsely elevated estradiol concentra-
tions. For patients taking these medica-
tions, please interpret results with
caution.

And the rest were for STI's which were all negative.  My RE didn't seem concern and said this was all ok and that we're good to proceed for my mini cycle.  Anyway, just coz I wanted to check again, I went to my family doctor, coz I've noticed some changes with my period (sorry TMI), anyway, the last few months it's slightly lighter, though I still get it like clockwork. Anyway, my result came back...

Dec 28th:

General Chemistry

Calcium                            2.25        2.10-2.60 mmol/L   

Alkaline Phosphatase      52           35-120 U/L

Thyroid Function

TSH                                 0.92        0.32-5.04 mU/L

The free T3 and free T4 orders were

cancelled. The BCMA/MSP Protocol
recommends no further testing. However,
a specimen will be stored 4 days.

Pituitary Function

Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)    22.6 IU/L     Follicular: <8.7 IU/L

Midcycle: 4.2-19.0 IU/L
                                                                                          Luteal: <8.7 IU/L
                                                                                          Postmenopausal: 16.0 -110.0 IU/L

Luteinizing Hormone (LH)                 10.7 IU/L        Follicular: 2.4 - 6.6 IU/L

Midcycle: 9.1 - 74.2 IU/L
                                                                                           Luteal: 2.4 - 6.6 IU/L
                                                                                           Postmenopausal: 11.3 - 58.0 IU/L

Prolactin                                              17.5             4.2-28.2 ug/L

Reproductive and Gonadal
Estradiol                                             40 pmol/L      Follicular: < 913 pmol/L

Midcycle: 140 - 2380 pmol/L
                                                                                           Luteal: 77 - 1145 pmol/L
                                                                                           Postmenopausal: < 113 pmol/L Bone Markers

NOTE: Estrogen receptor antagonists and
aromatase inhibitors have been shown to
interfere with estradiol testing by some
immunoassay technologies resulting in
falsely elevated estradiol concentra-
tions. For patients taking these medica-
tions, please interpret results with
caution.

Parathyroid Hormone Intact                      4.9    <7.0 pmol/L

Interpretation of PTH requires simult-

aneously determined Calcium levels. For
further interpretive information, refer
to LifeLabs Test Directory at
http://tests.lifelabs.com/Laboratory_
Test_Information/Homepage.aspx

I'm just really confused that my FSH pretty much doubled in a matter of a month.  Is this even possible? and I'm confused too because the result from Dec 28th was not flagged abnormal even though it is wayyyyy higher than it was from nov.... can anyone please explain this to me??? I'm just really lost and confused.... 

#2 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Ps: i literally copied and pasted both of my test result.  My first one was ordered by my RE and all he wanted was my FSH and E2.   My second one was from my GP to check everything else..... thank you in advanced for your help!

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

FSH usually varies from month to month. It is basically a measure of how "hard" your body has to work chemically to grow follicles. A commonly accepted theory is that you are as good as your worst FSH. I know this mat not be the news you want to hear, though was that a day 3 measurement?

#4 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

FSH usually varies from month to month. It is basically a measure of how "hard" your body has to work chemically to grow follicles. A commonly accepted theory is that you are as good as your worst FSH. I know this mat not be the news you want to hear, though was that a day 3 measurement?

I actually went on the 4th day when I was practically almost done my period (my period is usually short, 2-3 days in length, sorry TMI unsure.png ). I've somehow mistaken the 4th as my 3rd day. But I don't know if this can significantly affect it.  I knew my FSH is usually on the higher side like 10-11 but never 22, seems so scary to me.  But I don't understand why it's not labelled 'abnormal' when it was 22 (at the highest ever) and when I was 10-11 they were both marked 'abnormal'. 

My RE is planning to do mini IVF on this new cycle (our third one).  Based on my November result (FSH 11), he was "not concerned" and is good to proceed the cycle with me.  My new result, only my GP has the copy - I know this sounds stupid, but I'm almost scared to forward it to my RE and be told I'm now done with trying. blush.png cry.gif

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

The 4th day is fine. When you start a cycle, they will check your FSH, and if it is too high in their opinion, then they may delay it to the next month. Just be prepared for that. And really it does vary from month to month, and it can be by a lot like you got, but then change the next month, so don't think there is no hope.

Best of luck!

#6 Seem14

Seem14
  • Global 100+
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Thank you so much @returnable! I just didn't know what to expect, I assumed I was doomed forever and started pretty much grieving.... thank you So much for this info!!!

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

From what I am recollecting, you have already done IVF? How did that go? I'm just thinking most likely you are a poor responder, and that is why you are trying mini-IVF?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fsh, tubal, estrogen