#1 beth g

beth g
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Yale

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Hi, Dr. Fiona.

My name is Beth, and I am 43 years old.  Other than my age, I do not have any fertility issues, but my husband's vasectomy is the reason for our IVF treatments.  We have one two-year-old son from IVF, and we have been trying for #2.  My issue, as expected due to my age, is with my egg and embryo quality. I average about 3-6 eggs each cycle, and they usually all fertilize and look good on day 2.  By day 5, I typically end up with one or two of not-so-great quality. And in the past two cycles, we have only been able to transfer back a morula.

My clinic does not believe in supplements, acupuncture, etc. and I cannot get any good advice from them. I have done a lot of research on my own, and I read the book "It Starts With The Egg" which was totally inspiring.  I have been seeing an acupuncturist once a week since September, and she has had some input as well. 

As a result, I am on a lot of different supplements, and I want to make sure I'm on the right path and not actually sabotaging myself somehow.  If you wouldn't mind, would you please review my protocol and let me know if I should change anything?

Prenatal Vitamin with Folate

Vitamin B Complex

Vitamin D3 - 2,000 IU

Vitamin C - 1,000 mg

Vitamin E - 200 IU

Selenium - 200 mcg

Melatonin - 3 mg

Fish Oil Capsule - 1,450 mg EPA, 550 mg DHA, 2,600 mg Purified Fish Oil

DHEA - 75 mg

N-Acetyl-L Cysteine - 600 mg

Ubiquinol - 600 mg

My acupuncturist also wants me to take Chinese herbs.

With the little background you have on my specific situation, is any of this too much, not enough, counterproductive, etc.? 

I would appreciate your insight very much.

Thank you,

Beth

#2 beth g

beth g
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi, everyone and anyone. 

I'm new here, and I'm just wondering how long it typically takes to get a response.  Is there a better place I should be posting this question?

I can be patient. I just want to know if it is normal for a week to go by without a response. I'd appreciate anyone's insight. 

Thanks so much.

Beth

#3 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

All experts on the site are volunteers and respond as and when they can.  Unfortunately, there's really no set timeline.  

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#4 beth g

beth g
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

I will continue to be patient then. Thanks for your response.  :)

#5 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 1000+
  • 1155 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic/VFC

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

Beth- Dr.Fiona hasn't been active on this site since October 2016 from what I can see, so you may not get a response.

#6 beth g

beth g
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

Oh, well, that explains it!  :)   Thanks!