Accupuncture timing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kradelmesoon

kradelmesoon
  • 57 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:57 PM

When is the optimal time(s) for accupuncture treatment during an IVF cycle?

#2 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts
  • My Clinic:Acubalance

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

during the 100 days leading up to retrieval

I list several natural tips you can implement during the 100 days in this post .. read more

Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Hypnotherapist
Founder and Clinical Director Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#3 kradelmesoon

kradelmesoon
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Hi Dr Brown, how about post retrieval and before or after FET? I've read that doing accupuncture on the day of FET is critical, but my acupuncturist doesn't think it will make a difference as long as we are doing treatment regularly?

#4 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

It is not critical day of.   Acupuncture leading up to retrieval is more beneficial.  You are supporting egg quality and blood flow to uterus.   on day of transfer you are supporting uterine receptivity not eqq quality as eggs are in the lab.

In my practice I treat

1. months and weeks leading up to retrieval or FET   (2/week)
  2. on site day of transfer (fresh and frozen)  (immediately before and after transfer)
  3. weekly after transfer until about 12 weeks pregnant.

Good luck

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#5 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 1000+
  • 1153 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic/VFC

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Dr.Brown,

Before my FET, I was going for acupuncture 2/wk. It ended up with BFN, so doing a 2nd cycle in January. I've used up all of my insurance coverage for this year, so I can only afford to go once every two weeks.

Will this help me with supporting blood flow and egg quality even if I'm not doing it frequently?

#6 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

When it comes to finances do what you feel comfortable.    I can share with you what is most beneficial and leave it to you decide if you give it a 100% or 10%.  And I am aware each person reading this has individual circumstances impacting if they do 100% or 10% of what is recommended.    

Acupuncture increased blood flow to your ovaries and Uterus.  This is good.

Acupuncture help balance hormones.  This is good.

Acupuncture releases feel good endorphins and reduces the effects of stress (see HRV + acupuncture) which helps with chronic inflammation and hormonal imbalances.  This is good.

How often and how much.   If money and time was not an issue 2-5 times a week.

It is like studying for an exam and wanting to get an A+.    Ideally study at least 3 times a week for 3 months before the exam.    And if you are going to take the exam regardless and your choice is not study at all or only every two weeks for 3 months then I wold recommend study every two weeks over going in with no preparation.    Neither approach will guarantee you will get A+.

In general, I recommend 2/week leading up to a fresh or FET.  My patinets then decide what they can actually do and then I support them and give it my 100% effort whether they come 3/week or every two weeks.

More info here on what you can do for egg quality for those doing a fresh cycle.

1. http://acubalance.ca...ent/egg-quality
  2. http://acubalance.ca...conception-care
  3. http://acubalance.ca...t-for-fertility

If FET >>

1. http://www.acubalanc...yo-transfer-fet
  2. http://acubalance.ca...ent/thin-lining

And regardless, i am big proponent of the mind body connection and using your mind to create your reality and perfect health.  I personally combine Psych K and hypnosis with my acupuncture/laser (LLLT) visits.     I recommend the following book  Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza.   Personally, working with your mind is the best gift you can do for yourself.  Mote important than my acupuncture and your IVF clinic.

Book link >>

Video >>

Wishing you the best of luck on your upcoming FET  Mamsita.

Lorne

www.acubalance.ca

www.ifsymposium.com

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#7 Dalmareliz

Dalmareliz
  • 72 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victory Reproductive Care

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Dr. Foborm - I am doing FET on Nov 17 and this is the first i've really heard of or explored acupuncture and if impact on FET.  Is it too late since I'm only about 3 weeks away from FET? Will it still benefit me positively? Given how much time is between now and FET, how frequently do you suggest I go?

Lastly question - once we do the FET, do you suggest acupuncture during 2ww?

Type 1 diabetes since 1996, thyroid disorder, minor symptoms of PCOS, male factor.

IVF #1 - ER March 2017, 1 embryo frozen, transfer November 2017 BFN

IVF #2 - ER March 2018, 6 embryos frozen "party of six", transfer September 2018

Transfer #2 - September 21 transferred 2 embroys 

October 5/18 - BFP - Beta 1108 at 14dp5dt
October 10/18 - Beta 6633 at 19dp5dt 
1st U/S - heart beat 182

m4mxm5.png

#8 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 1000+
  • 1153 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic/VFC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

When it comes to finances do what you feel comfortable.    I can share with you what is most beneficial and leave it to you decide if you give it a 100% or 10%.  And I am aware each person reading this has individual circumstances impacting if they do 100% or 10% of what is recommended.    

Acupuncture increased blood flow to your ovaries and Uterus.  This is good.
Acupuncture help balance hormones.  This is good.
Acupuncture releases feel good endorphins and reduces the effects of stress (see HRV + acupuncture) which helps with chronic inflammation and hormonal imbalances.  This is good.

How often and how much.   If money and time was not an issue 2-5 times a week.

It is like studying for an exam and wanting to get an A+.    Ideally study at least 3 times a week for 3 months before the exam.    And if you are going to take the exam regardless and your choice is not study at all or only every two weeks for 3 months then I wold recommend study every two weeks over going in with no preparation.    Neither approach will guarantee you will get A+.

In general, I recommend 2/week leading up to a fresh or FET.  My patinets then decide what they can actually do and then I support them and give it my 100% effort whether they come 3/week or every two weeks.

More info here on what you can do for egg quality for those doing a fresh cycle.

If FET >>  
And regardless, i am big proponent of the mind body connection and using your mind to create your reality and perfect health.  I personally combine Psych K and hypnosis with my acupuncture/laser (LLLT) visits.     I recommend the following book  Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza.   Personally, working with your mind is the best gift you can do for yourself.  Mote important than my acupuncture and your IVF clinic.

Book link >>
Video >>

Wishing you the best of luck on your upcoming FET  Mamsita.

Lorne
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com

Thank you for all of your advice. You have a really good point about working with your mind to create a future you want. I watched that video, and it was eye-opening. My dx is unexplained, so I think my issue relates to not managing stress well.

My 2nd IVf cycle will be in January, so I'll start going to acupuncture once/week in December, and twice a week in January prior to retrieval. Is it ok to do acupuncture while on fertility meds?

#9 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

It is encouraged to acupuncture during stim medications.  We often increase frequency of tacu treatments  and add laser acupuncture during stimulation.  

Here is why.... 

Lorne

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#10 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Dr. Foborm - I am doing FET on Nov 17 and this is the first i've really heard of or explored acupuncture and if impact on FET.  Is it too late since I'm only about 3 weeks away from FET? Will it still benefit me positively? Given how much time is between now and FET, how frequently do you suggest I go?

Lastly question - once we do the FET, do you suggest acupuncture during 2ww?

Hi

Yes you have time to start now, Oct 25th for a frozen transfer on Nov 17th.     Many start when they start the estrace and some start months in advance if they have other contributory issues impacting lining uterine receptivity.

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#11 kradelmesoon

kradelmesoon
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Hi Dr Brown, how long do fertility accupuncture treatments take? 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr? Should there be any type of 'check up' prior to treatment?