What you need to do if a friend of yours is wanting to donate her eggs - Donor & Surrogacy Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

What you need to do if a friend of yours is wanting to donate her eggs

eggdonation egg donor infetility egg donation in canada

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pritangel

Pritangel
  • 70 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hi, So I have a friend who is in her 30's willing to donate her eggs to me. What are the rules, procedures I have to follow. 

Failed IUI March 2016

Starting IVF, October 2016

October 4 Stims: 300 units of Gonal F, 150 Menopur

October 10: Cetrotite 

October 16: Decapteyl

October 18: Egg Retireval, 26 eggs

October 19: Day 1, 12 matured, 7 fertilized 

October 24: End of IVF, none fertilized due to lot of fragmentation. **** INFERTILITY.

#2 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

You should speak with a fertility lawyer.

See about me page.

#3 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

I agree with RW above. Also, your clinic may be able to offer you some assistance. I know Victoria Fertility Centre has a specific fee schedule for donor cycles so I'd assume that would come with some type of additional assistance, but outside legal advice would also be needed. 

Me - 37   DH - 45 (Paraplegic)   

FET planned for spring 2017

#4 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:23 AM

There are no rules, depends on the clinic, but generally speaking you need to speak to your Dr to get the ball rolling (and/or get on wait list if there is one), and then arrange for your friend to have a consult with your Dr.  Then she will need to have basic fertility testing done (same as you would have undergone).  You can elect to do further genetic tests if you want, but most clinics wouldn't proactively do them with a known donor unless there is a reason to.  Then you both need to have a separate psych consult (Health Canada requirement) with the same psychologist or counselor, to ensure you both understand the implications of what you are embarking on, and make sure you are both on the same page in a known donor situation.  A donor cycle generally costs $1000-1500 more than a regular IVF cycle, simply due to the additional coordination required for 2 people instead of 1.  However the Toronto clinics have started profiting US-style, charging double for a donor cycle.

Legal contract is optional in egg donation, and legal assistance definitely not needed.  It's something you and your friend must discuss between you and decide on, whether you want to go that route or not.  Some clinics do make you get a contract regardless (Victoria does not, and will actually say that in a known donation it's pretty useless).  Note that some clinics also (incomprehensibly in this day and age) will only work with anonymous donors, so you need to check this with your clinic. Other than outlining which costs you are responsible for, a legal contract is either useless or unenforceable for anything else -- it isn't needed for parentage or support issues, since in Canada legally the woman who carries the child is the mother, regardless of where the egg comes from, and it's unenforceable for anything related to future contact etc.

• CdnHockeyGal, idream and Awoyt like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#5 Awoyt

Awoyt
  • Global 100+
  • 160 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Clinic

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Sunshine you seem to know a lot about this. I just had a quick question for you.... if you know awesome if not, I guess I will look else where =)

Do you need the psych consult for donating embryos? or the legal side of the house?

TTC since Oct 2014

Feb 2016 - Dx MFJun

2016 - DH underwent surgery - no change

Dec 2016 - ER, 21 retrieved ICSI 8 fertilized 5 day embryos

Dec 2016 - first fresh ET BFN

Feb 2017 - 2nd FET BFN - clinic testing for auto immune - test all good

May 2017 - 3rd FET Beta came back 75, follow up BFN-chemical

Jun 2017 - 4th cycle cancelled due to cramping *Dr. thinks this could be the cause of failures*

Jul 2017 - natural cycle started *fingers crossed* transfer scheduled 2 Aug 2017

Positive Beta 14 Aug 17 - trying not to overthink everything!

#6 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 320 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hey Awoyt - I will pop in and try to answer your question for you.  My husband and I just received three donor embryos from a lovely couple.  Our clinic required both us and our donors to have a psych consult done.  I think most clinics do this if you are doing a known private donation.  I'm not sure if you donate to clinic programs (like Calgary and Repromed in Toronto's program) if you need a psych consult as those programs as far as I know are anonymous and don't allow for contact with donor/recipients (so I would assume you wouldn't need to have a psych eval).  The other way of donating is through beginnings in Ontario (adoption agency), and I'm not sure if they require psych consults or not.  If you are planning on donating privately though I believe most clinics would require a psych consult, but the recipients cover the costs of everything involved including the psych eval. 

You do need a legal contract in place in a private donation, but it's quite a simple process.  PM me if you have more questions.  

Me - 31  Hubby - 31

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a cancelled IVF cycle and an IVF cycle that completely failed for unknown reasons (22 eggs, 10 fertilized, zero on day five), we have moved onto donor embryos! 

August 2017 - We received three beautiful embryos from an amazing donor family!  

FET #1- One beautiful hatching 5 day blast transferred Oct 11/17 - BFP!!! beta #1- 92 (9dp5dt) beta #2- 297 (13dp5dt)

beta #3- 700 (16dp5dt) beta #4- 3500 (20dp5dt)  

Ultrasound Nov 7 (6w4d) - One little bean, heartbeat of 125 bpm!  Due June 29, 2018

June 19, 2018 It's a Boy!! 7 lbs 2 oz of perfection!

FET #2 - One day 6 Blast transferred Feb 26/2020 - BFN 

One final chance with one final embryo hopefully soon!  Go away Covid-19!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eggdonation, egg donor, infetility, egg donation in canada