• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ivfjourney

ivfjourney
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hello, what have people's experience been with communication and feedback with RFP? I found them to be inconsistent and delayed which is frustrating when you are investing so much (financially and time-wise). I just was wondering if anyone has similar experiences? I completely understand that it's a big clinic and they're trying their best but one would think they would be able to have better and efficient communication with their patients, especially those going through treatment. Poor communication and feedback were my biggest issues with RFP and makes me question if I would pursue treatment there again.

#2 Awoyt

Awoyt
  • Global 100+
  • 160 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Clinic

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Sorry I am a little confessed by your post are you looking for info on a specific clinic or in general.

I found my clinic was great a first, for the consult and the egg retrieval, but it seemed we had a bit of a rough go after the first and second failed FETs. They would call me and tell me that it failed and they would like me to contact them on the first day of my next cycle.... this did not make me happy. you want to wait 30 days till we speak after a failed attempt... so I contacted one of the nurses and she gave me reasons why and explained the situation and the next steps... but I was not happy that I have to contact her, it felt a little harsh in my mind. that being said, once I told her that I did not find that this way of communicating to work for me they were better with me. They would call me to tell me my results and would set up a time for the Dr to call me within 48 hours and to come up with a new plan. once I talked to the Dr if I had any questions after that I would contact the nurse and she would discuss it with me and if she could not answer she would have the dr call me or set up an in person appointment. (I was not big on the phone appointments as I found it very impersonal)

but once I had a talk with the nurse and let her know the way we were doing things was not working, things got a lot better. I think a lot of clinics work with patients that travel to see them so they are used to trying to find ways to not inconvenience patients...

hopefully you can work this situation out... cause there is nothing worse than going to a clinic that you don't feel comfortable at.

TTC since Oct 2014

Feb 2016 - Dx MFJun

2016 - DH underwent surgery - no change

Dec 2016 - ER, 21 retrieved ICSI 8 fertilized 5 day embryos

Dec 2016 - first fresh ET BFN

Feb 2017 - 2nd FET BFN - clinic testing for auto immune - test all good

May 2017 - 3rd FET Beta came back 75, follow up BFN-chemical

Jun 2017 - 4th cycle cancelled due to cramping *Dr. thinks this could be the cause of failures*

Jul 2017 - natural cycle started *fingers crossed* transfer scheduled 2 Aug 2017

Positive Beta 14 Aug 17 - trying not to overthink everything!

#3 Jules013

Jules013
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program - Calgary, AB

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

I was frustrated at times that I had to wait until the next day for a call back from RFP. I also wasn't particularly fond of the idea that I didn't get to see one particular doctor throughout the process. It all felt very impersonal to me. Lastly, there was one appointment (our WTF went wrong appointment after our failed IVF cycle) where our doctor had no idea who we were or what went wrong - he misspoke numerous times (quoting a file that wasn't ours), had to leave the room twice to speak to the embryologist, and gave us zero confidence that we were given the best chance possible on our cycle.
Having said all that, when we decided to do a donor cycle later on, things went more smoothly. Still, it felt impersonal.

#4 ivfjourney

ivfjourney
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

@Awoyt, I was specifically referring to RFP (Regional Fertility Program in Calgary) as I wrote in my original message. I was disappointed with their turnaround response time as IVF and fertility treatment is so time-sensitive. I believe if you are paying that much, the clinic should be making better efforts to communicate and respond to their patients. Further if you missed their call, sometimes you would have to wait another 1-2 days to hear back. Overall, this was one of our greatest frustrations with RFP. If you used them, I am glad that you had a better experience. 

#5 ivfjourney

ivfjourney
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

@Jules 013, I agree. It was very frustrating at times. I was shocked when I read that they were quoting from a file that wasn't yours, wow. 

When we were looking at doing a 2nd cycle with RFP, it took the nurse 4 days to call me back after my calling in to the "Period Hotline". Had we been pursuing treatment then, it would've thrown the whole cycle off. Which is also one of the reasons we opted not to. I, too, felt like the rotating schedule of Doctors was a little impersonal. 

While I understand its a large clinic and they have a huge rooster of patients, I believe if you are paying that much money and because fertility treatments are so time-sensitive, they should really be getting back to patients on the same day. RFP's communication, or poor response turnaround rate was one of my greatest frustrations and disappointments with the facility. Ironically, they called back within 45min - 2hours anytime I had called for payment. Once, I received 2 phone calls from RFP within 15 minutes when I left a message for payment. 

That said, our experience with the RFP clinic and staff itself were fine and professional. I am happy that things with your donor cycle went more smoothly. I hope you have had success. 

#6 Awoyt

Awoyt
  • Global 100+
  • 160 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Clinic

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

wow those stories sound horrible. I hope that things get better for you! Did you end up switching clinics?

TTC since Oct 2014

Feb 2016 - Dx MFJun

2016 - DH underwent surgery - no change

Dec 2016 - ER, 21 retrieved ICSI 8 fertilized 5 day embryos

Dec 2016 - first fresh ET BFN

Feb 2017 - 2nd FET BFN - clinic testing for auto immune - test all good

May 2017 - 3rd FET Beta came back 75, follow up BFN-chemical

Jun 2017 - 4th cycle cancelled due to cramping *Dr. thinks this could be the cause of failures*

Jul 2017 - natural cycle started *fingers crossed* transfer scheduled 2 Aug 2017

Positive Beta 14 Aug 17 - trying not to overthink everything!

#7 ivfjourney

ivfjourney
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

We switched in the end...

#8 Jules013

Jules013
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program - Calgary, AB

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

We travelled to Spokane for a second opinion on my diagnosis and we were not too impressed with that clinic (Center For Reproductive Health). The building is old, it was cold inside, and everywhere we went they had space heaters running. It was fall, not even winter. The staff were friendly, but unprepared for our visit. The one person who handles the financial side of things was not even there to talk with us. Keep in mind, we drove 7hrs to be there, and they knew we were coming.
In the end, my diagnosis was unchanged and all we got was a sales pitch on how they felt RFP maybe hadn't given us the best chance possible during our IVF cycle because "rescue ICSI" was needed (apparently the Spokane doctor feels that ICSI should be mandatory in all cases to avoid a rescue ICSI situation).
We decided to stay with RFP for future treatments because the treatment cost would have been almost identical after factoring in the exchange rate...but at least being treated at RFP meant we could sleep in our own bed every night...no travelling.
In the end, we achieved a pregnancy through RFP. I think that's important to mention.
Their policies might be annoying and feel impersonal, but I do strongly believe that they know what they're doing.
I can't forgive the one doctor who let us down with his ignorance on our file during the wtf appointment...but I try to remember he's only human. These days you have to be your own health advocate. Don't ever assume a doctor is correct just because they're a doctor. Ask questions.

#9 outofnowhere

outofnowhere
  • Global 100+
  • 273 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

I agree that RFP is pretty bad at communication. The only time I've ever had someone actually answer the phone is when I called to make a payment. I actually called through to that line a couple times to speak to a nurse because I actually knew someone would answer.  Honestly, I have mixed feelings about RFP - I completely agree that the treatment is impersonal, and that the doctors and nurses will not know your file very well.  I definitely had to know my own file, and ask a lot of questions to make sure things were happening properly. I found communication VASTLY improved when I was actually cycling, so I think that they just prioritize people who are doing a cycle, and everyone else has to wait. But they helped me get pregnant with my daughter, which really helped me feel more positive about the clinic! 

#10 ivfjourney

ivfjourney
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Congrats on your daughter! Wonderful news!

As for communication, I think my thoughts and feelings are evident from the above posts. To reiterate, I think the facility and staff were professional. I was just very disappointed with the lack/slow communication, even when I was undergoing treatment. I completely understand its a large clinic with many clients but I still feel like they should be able to get back to patients in a timely manner especially when we are all paying so much. Again the only time I found a quick response rate was when I was leaving a message for payment.

Im glad your experience was successful!!