2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013
    10 retrieved, 2 fertilized
    Fresh Transfer July 2013- BFP - Miscarriage 8w5days
    FET Feb 2014 - BFP - numbers increasing too slowly - Miscarriage 6 weeks

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized
    Fresh transfer - Jan 2017 - BFN (1 embryo)
    FET - March 2017 - BFP -Chemical (1 embryo, one didn't survive thaw)

Next FET Aug 11 2017 - Transfered 2 frosties -BFN

Last FET- March 7, 2019- transfered 3 frosties (waiting to see)
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

So we have been told by our RE that if this transfer didn't work we would talk about surrogacy. This is an area that I know nothing about. I don't have a family member that can be a surrogate. Is it really expensive to go this route? We have 3 embryos left. Any info or advice would be great. We are in the GTA - would we go through our clinic?

#2 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 379 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Prev: Trio / Current: Hannam

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hey -i'm in the same boat. well maybe a step ahead.  TRIO has a 3rd party rep named Randy that you can talk to.  She can give you some details but to be honest she actually isn't THAT helpful.  Ultimately, you are on your own. the clinic will give you names of agencies that they recommend and some info about what they will require of the surrogate to be considered a "go" for you once you find someone.

I have just started making some calls to agencies to get info. consults are free.

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Elle sidetrack here but we had to speak with Randy initially for DE and also found her unhelpful and actually giving the wrong information.

#4 Waiting4

Waiting4
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:1st IUI - November 2012 BFN
    2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:24 AM

Ok thanks for the heads up! In Canada do we pay surrogates? If so, how much?

#5 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

no you do not pay for surrogates.  but you have to pay for receipt-able expenses ie: meds, travel for appointments, maternity clothes etc.

and If you go through an agency then you pay them a fee to help you find a match. 

#6 Waiting4

Waiting4
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
    2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

no you do not pay for surrogates.  but you have to pay for receipt-able expenses ie: meds, travel for appointments, maternity clothes etc.

and If you go through an agency then you pay them a fee to help you find a match. 

So in the end what's the ballpark cost?

#7 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

I have no idea yet. it depends on so many factors including if you need to get more embryos or eggs and where your surrogate is compared to where you live and will be doing transfer. if they are local then travel expenses are minimal. if they live across the country then you need them to travel to your clinic for initial checks and transfer and then you need to travel for the birth. so a lot of factors to consider. 

Like I said before I just started calling agencies and they give you an idea of what is involved.  i'm still figuring it out myself. 

#8 Waiting4

Waiting4
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
    2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

found this site that breaks down fees- looks very costly...

https://surrogacy.ca...-surrogacy.html

#9 Elle505

Elle505
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Totally agree about Randy.  Not helpful at all.  Any information she gave us I already googled myself.

#10 Waiting4

Waiting4
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
    2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

What have you hear about price? is up to 50K what you have heard?

Totally agree about Randy.  Not helpful at all.  Any information she gave us I already googled myself.

#11 Elle505

Elle505
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

What have you hear about price? is up to 50K what you have heard?

It can be around 40-50K.  They push you to do the guarantee program which is about 40K but you don't have to.  They have single cycle programs for about half the price, you just don't get a refund if it doesn't work.

#12 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

So in the end what's the ballpark cost?

I saw a recent surrogacy contract, the expenses were up to $30,000. Including salary for time off work.

This does not include the clinic costs, drug costs and lawyers fees.

I had a egg donor contract drawn up in the past year. It cost me $1500.00 flat fee.

A word of advice DO NOT USE THE AGENCIES RECOMMENDED LAWYER.  There is a conflict of interest in using the clinic's recommended lawyer. Find out who the agencies recommended lawyers are and then find a different one.  It is well worth it to get independent counsel. If you want more details PM me.

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#13 Suzivf

Suzivf
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

i also agree about Randy.  We did not find her helpful on the egg donor journey so have not reached out for the surrogacy info now.  i know there are some agencies trio wont work with but not sure which ones.  i have been told 50 to 100 grand for expenses, fees, etc depending on if through an agency or independent and what the surrogate does for a living, etc.  we used Sarah Cohen for our egg donor agreement and would use her if we find a surrogate.  have not had any luck finding an independent surrogate though.  Good luck to each of you on this crazy ride. 

turning 44 soon and partner is turning 54. 3 natural chemical pregnancies when younger,

2015-Had open myomectomy for 10 cm grapefruit sized fibroid,

2016-hysterscopy/d and c/ polyp removal. First fertility clinic suggested hysterectomy and that my boyfriend find a younger partner to have a child with; went to Trio for second opinion who recommended egg donor ivf. 

DOR/POF-found an awesome egg donor

2017-Have another fibroid, adenomyosis,  a miscarriage at 11 weeks after first egg donor ivf fet, 2nd fet ended in chemical.  One PGS tested and one untested embryo remaining.  RE wants me to have break from meds to see if fibroid and adenomyosis get better, waiting for referral to check for scar tissue. reoccurring loss panel, karyotyping and thrombophilia panel all normal. Looking for GS surrogate as best chance to have a child.  

#14 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

i also agree about Randy.  We did not find her helpful on the egg donor journey so have not reached out for the surrogacy info now.  i know there are some agencies trio wont work with but not sure which ones.  i have been told 50 to 100 grand for expenses, fees, etc depending on if through an agency or independent and what the surrogate does for a living, etc.  we used Sarah Cohen for our egg donor agreement and would use her if we find a surrogate.  have not had any luck finding an independent surrogate though.  Good luck to each of you on this crazy ride. 

Suzivf- are you using any agencies for help with the surrogacy search?

#15 Hila

Hila
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:N/A

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hi Waiting4
My only worry is that you have three embryos left. However, the good news is that surrogacy guarantees you the expected results. I suppose that you are unable to carry the pregnancy to fruition. This is the reason that advised your RE to prepare you for surrogacy. It is a simple process; a woman will be found and carry the fetus for you. It is a slightly longer process that starts by screening the available women for compatibility. Most clinics have their surrogate mothers, and you will be required to state your needs in advance and choose one that you think fits your criteria. Typically, surrogate mothers are women between 21 -29 years who have been tested and found to be healthy. They are screened to avoid complications and disorders that result from carrying a pregnancy. In most cases, clinics choose surrogate mothers that are fairly intelligent, and you will have an option of interrogating the available options before you choose one. If you are not happy or certified with the available options, some clinics allow you to bring your surrogate mother. I will be back with more details.

#16 Waiting4

Waiting4
  • Global 100+
  • 180 posts
    2nd IUI - Feb 2013 BFN
    ----
    1st IVF July 2013

2nd IVF - Jan 2017
    8 fertilized

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hi Waiting4
My only worry is that you have three embryos left. However, the good news is that surrogacy guarantees you the expected results. I suppose that you are unable to carry the pregnancy to fruition. This is the reason that advised your RE to prepare you for surrogacy. It is a simple process; a woman will be found and carry the fetus for you. It is a slightly longer process that starts by screening the available women for compatibility. Most clinics have their surrogate mothers, and you will be required to state your needs in advance and choose one that you think fits your criteria. Typically, surrogate mothers are women between 21 -29 years who have been tested and found to be healthy. They are screened to avoid complications and disorders that result from carrying a pregnancy. In most cases, clinics choose surrogate mothers that are fairly intelligent, and you will have an option of interrogating the available options before you choose one. If you are not happy or certified with the available options, some clinics allow you to bring your surrogate mother. I will be back with more details.

Why would having 3 embryo's left be a worry? 

#17 Suzivf

Suzivf
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Suzivf- are you using any agencies for help with the surrogacy search?

hi.  We have not connected with an agency as of yet since we had a rough experience with egg donor agency we were hoping to find someone independently.  

turning 44 soon and partner is turning 54. 3 natural chemical pregnancies when younger,

2015-Had open myomectomy for 10 cm grapefruit sized fibroid,

2016-hysterscopy/d and c/ polyp removal. First fertility clinic suggested hysterectomy and that my boyfriend find a younger partner to have a child with; went to Trio for second opinion who recommended egg donor ivf. 

DOR/POF-found an awesome egg donor

2017-Have another fibroid, adenomyosis,  a miscarriage at 11 weeks after first egg donor ivf fet, 2nd fet ended in chemical.  One PGS tested and one untested embryo remaining.  RE wants me to have break from meds to see if fibroid and adenomyosis get better, waiting for referral to check for scar tissue. reoccurring loss panel, karyotyping and thrombophilia panel all normal. Looking for GS surrogate as best chance to have a child.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surrogacy