#1 KimT0821

KimT0821
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hi!! This is my first time writing on here so I want to
Say hi.

My husband was diagnosed with 100% globozoospermia (round headed sperm). My RE was super positive that all would be okay with IVF with ICSI ooygote accitvated with calcium ionophore. I had my egg retrieval this past Tuesday (July 4) and received a phone call the next night. None of my 6 mature eggs fertilized. My doctor was beyond shocked as was everyone in the lab that not one fertilized. My doctor and nurse is adamant that this is not an egg quality issue. My doctor is also weary about doing another cycle that I insist on.

My question is have anyone have fertilization failure with ICSI and AOA

#2 Bre

Bre
  • Global 100+
  • 273 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

KimT0821 - I am really sorry about the news, i hope you are doing ok! We had the same thing happen to us in March, which was also our first IVF! I had 9 follicles, they retrieved 7 eggs and out of those 7, nothing fertilized. In our situation, we were told it was due to poor egg quality, We were devastated! Our doctor was also surprised but unfortunately it is more common than what i thought. There are a few other ladies on this site that also had zero fertilization! Our situation is a little different than yours, as we are not dealing with globozoospermia !

What is your next step? Hang in there!!

35, Endometriosis, TTC 5 years

#3 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:59 AM

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :(

What clinic are you with? I would be tempted to seek a second opinion at a clinic with a laboratory that has an amazing reputation. If you're in the GTA, I would highly recommend the Hannam Fertility Centre. Their laboratory partners with CCRM in Colorado, arguably one of the best clinics in the world. They have a first-class laboratory that offers very specific care (PICSI, for example). Dr. Hannam is amazing and does phone consults. I would recommend having a discussion to get his take and recommendation of your situation.

Hang in there.
  • Bre likes this

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#4 cheers

cheers
  • Global 100+
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

We had a very similar situation.  First round no fertilization and then the second round we had 100% fertilization with the AOA.  

I understand how devastating it is to get a call saying that nothing fertilized  sad.png

Does the doctor think there could be any other factors (chromosomal etc.)?  

We went to a clinic in the GTA as there aren't too many clinics that offer AOA (granted this was around 5 years ago things may have changed).  If your doctor is adamant about not doing another cycle, then I would definitely seek a second opinion.

Best wishes.

• Bre likes this

#5 cheers

cheers
  • Global 100+
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

I should also add - wait until your follow-up to see if the doctor has any additional info.  Hopefully he's looking into things now (speaking to the embryologist) to see if there could be an explanation why things didn't work.

#6 pandora89

pandora89
  • Global 100+
  • 314 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

We had a similar situation. Jan 2017 I had 5 eggs retrieved, 4 were mature but they attempted to fertilize all the eggs with ICSI and none of the eggs fertilized.

They thought it was an egg quality issue (I have DOR but I was only 26 at the time) but they had H do a DNA fragmentation test even though all his other numbers were fine, and we found out that he had a really high DNA frag rate of 87% (they consider anything under 30% a good score). He was put on some supplements and changed his diet/put on some weight. We cycled again Feb 2017 and I had 8 retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilize and all 4 make it to blast.

• Bre likes this

Me - 30 H - 32

TTC #1 since Dec 2013

October 2015 - AMH .43

IVF #1 - Jan 2016. 5 eggs retrieved, 4 matured, 0 fertilized.

IVF#2 - Jan 2016, Converted to IUI -BFN

IVF#3 - Feb 2017
10dp5dt - BFP Beta #1 55. 12dp5dt Beta  #2 132 Beta # 3 332 Beta #4 172,. Ectopic pregnancy in left tube. Pregnancy resolved itself.

FET #1 July 2017 - BFN

FET #2 August 17, 2017 - BFP Beta #1 10dp5dt - 800 , Beta #2 - 1501

08/08/2017 - Ultrasound 5 weeks 6 days shows 1 baby measuring right on track with heartbeat of 110 bpm!! yahoo.gif

14/08/2017 - Ultrasound measuring 6 weeks 6 days at 6 weeks 5 days, heartbeat of 138 BPM.

EDD - 04/05/2018 - Baby BOY! babyboy.gif

DS born May 7th, 2018.

Time for a sibling - No frosties, back to IVF

IVF #1 - 11 retrieved, 7 mature, 1 fertlized, did not make it to blast.

IVF #2 - 8 retrieved, 5 mature, 1 fertilized, 1 5 day blast frozen (5AB)

FET October 2019 - Natural FET cycle with trigger shot & HCG boosters. BFP HCG 10dp5dt - 316 12dp5dt - 687

Ultrasound at 6w1d shows perfect little baby, heart-rate 110BPM yahoo.gif

EDD - 22/06/2020 - Baby GIRL! babygirl.gif

#7 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

We had two IVF cycles with ICSI fertilization failure with MFI. First cycle 12 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 1 fertilized with ICSI ended in CP. Second cycle absolute disaster with only 3 eggs retrieved 0 fertilized. We switched to Hannam as I suspected mistakes were being made with my protocol etc at previous clinic. We did further testing that rules out DNA fragmentation and genetics. We just had ER with Hannam and had a significantly better result. We have 6 eggs frozen as backup incase we had fertilization failure again and needed to look at AOA. The other 8 eggs were fertilized with PICSI, 3 fertilized and two more were expected to fertilize by the end of the day yesterday.

I would recommend a second opinion before going ahead with another cycle. I am so thankful that we got second opinions and then picked Hannam. My only regret is not having someone look at our case after our first cycle.
  • Graceland, returnable and Bre like this

Me:33 DH:37 Dx MFI

Ottawa Fertility Centre:

IUI#1 Feb 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
1.5mil post wash BFN

IUI#2 April 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
400,000 post wash BFN

IVF#1 July 2016:long agonist protocol(bcp/suprefact, gonal-f 150iu, Ovidrel)

AFC 28, 12 retrieved 8 mature, 1 fertilized with ICSI BFP ended in CP

IVF #2 Nov 2016:long agonist protocol(gonal-f 125 iu and luveris 75 added)

AFC 18, 3 eggs retrieved 2 mature, total ICSI failure

Hannam Fertility:
IVF#3 July 2017: Antagonist protocol( gonal-f, menopur, centrotide, double lupron trigger)

AFC 32, 17 eggs retrieved, 14 mature 6 eggs frozen as back up, 8 PICSI 3 fertilized and arrested at morula/stage 2 blast.

IVF#3.5 Thawed 6 eggs for fertilization with PICSI and AOA. 2 out 6 thawed, 1 fertilized and arrested day 3.

Final diagnosis of severe male factor with sperm head defect and unexplained egg cytoplasm dysfunction. Moving onto known embryo donation!

Create Fertility (Donor Embryos):

FET#1: December 2018 BFN

FET#2: February 2018 BFP