"The only way to eat an elephant is bite by bite"--L.P. - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

"The only way to eat an elephant is bite by bite"--L.P.

Posted by leigh14 , 29 August 2011 · 1596 views

I haven't blogged for awhile and decided that it might help to get some of my thoughts out. Since receiving recommendations for an immune protocol, I have actually been feeling fairly good for the most part. Most days I'm actually quite optimistic and I'm taking the advice of a forum member (The wise Luckypenny) who advised that the only way to eat an elephant is bite by bite. She's right because if I looked at the whole picture of the protocol that we're trying I'd probably feel very, very overwhelmed. I've received a lot of support from people on this forum as well as some friends/family in real life and that helps immensely.

Yesterday I told my sister about the treatment protocol that was recommended for DH and I and, although she was supportive, there were big gaps in the conversation of just silence...like she was trying to comprehend what I was telling her. Similarly, I told a friend of mine today and she looked at me like SHE was overwhelmed.

As a result of some of the immune testing that I had done it appears that I do have issues. I have inherited thrombophilia for starters, which is a blood clotting issue that I will need to take blood thinners for if I become PG again. I also have elevated natural killer cells and cytokines and my protocol includes both Humira and IVig + blood thinners if I get PG on the IVF cycle. When I tell people about what we're doing most people don't react too much about this stuff. It's the next part that they tend to react to (actually, they just look a little stunned).

Since DH and I are overly compatible at a cellular level, and I have low LAD numbers, we are also going to be doing LIT treatments in Mexico. We have to do two LIT treatments, three weeks apart. DH and I will be traveling to Mexico for two separate weekends. The procedure itself sounds simple enough and is supposed to help my LAD levels to rise so that I won't reject the embryo. The idea of traveling that far and going to a clinic in an area of Mexico that is not exactly a resort area is what seems a little "out there" to some. And yet both DH and I have decided to just go for it. Surprisingly, I haven't felt hugely fearful about doing all this and quite often feel at peace with our decision. BUT I am very aware of how all this seems to those outside of the world of IVF. And, even for some of you, within the world of IVF, this may seem like pure craziness.

I've felt little stress since we decided to go down this path although making travel arrangements has been time consuming. I am trying to just take this day by day, step by step and have my mother's voice in my head telling me to "just try your best" because that is what she always told me as I was growing up. In fact, trying my best is all I can do. After two IVFs, this isn't my first rodeo and I have learned along the way that I can't control outcomes. What will be will be.

When I told one of my friends about what we were doing to try to get PG she said, "So if it doesn't work, will you stop after this cycle?" The decision to stop has been a discussion on this forum and it's tricky territory. I answered my friend by saying that I just mainly wanted to focus on this cycle and think positively. Obviously if it doesn't work out, we will have to reassess and consider our options. But it sure would be hard to stop when we NOW have a protocol that is the appropriate one for me. In some ways I feel as though my prior attempts don't count (aside from spending the big $$$) because there was little hope for success because we did not know what we know now.

So, I have decided to follow my instincts and just go for it. I am reassured by the fact that I have a great doctor and in a very short time he has earned my trust. When I have those little moments of doubt creep into my brain, I try to push them out and just focus on the next step. Although money is a factor and DH and I have found it challenging to deal with all the costs associated with all the steps in the protocol, we are managing so far. Truly, all we can do is try not to get too far ahead of ourselves and just take things step by step. So far this strategy seems to be helping me and I hope that as my cycle grows near I can remember to keep focused and calm.

When I got a notice today in the mail telling me that my drug coverage for one of my meds was denied, I had a momentary feeling of, "What are you doing?" I felt discouraged and yet this moment passed. I suspect that I will have many similar moments as I go forward. I just have to remember to ride them out.

I have to trust my instincts...I feel that there will be a baby in my future. I can sense it and will do what it takes to make this intuitive sense become a reality.

• Karolinasmommy and KJ_mom like this

Awe, shucks :blush: I actually read this great piece of advice elsewhere on the forum from another wise member in response to another thread (wish I could give credit where it is due, but I can't remember who said it).
    • leigh14 likes this
Photo
silverdollar
Aug 29 2011 10:04 PM
So true. I hope you are nibbling at the right elephant this time. All the best.
    • leigh14 likes this
Photo
Karolinasmommy
Aug 29 2011 11:59 PM
I've learned that when we follow our instincts, they often lead us in a direction that is right for us. That feeling of a baby in your future, is exactly how I feel about my future...it's sorta something deep down you know you will have that opportunity of a child's love one day...just we don't know when or how. Great blog entry:) Thanks for sharing!
    • leigh14 likes this
If any one of us wrote a screenplay about our quest to get pregnant and sent it to Hollywood, I'll bet it would be rejected for being too unrealistic. "No one in real life would go through all that!"

But when you're living this, it absolutely makes sense.

Wishing you every success in your next protocol! :Emoticons09710:
    • leigh14, silverdollar and Hope Deferred like this
Wow Leigh, I've said it before and will say it again, your positive attitude is inspiring and I believe you will succeed because you're incredibly determined, brave and strong. Your success is going to be cause for celebration and inspiration for all of us. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I have everything crossed for you. Hugs.
    • leigh14 likes this
Really well written and thought out Leigh.
Again, I am wishing you and DH all the best in your "adventure" and have the feeling that your on the right path.
Those thoughts of doubt and feelings of insecurity will pass. STAY STRONG!!!
Sending you happy thoughts and positive energy Vibes,
    • leigh14 likes this
Photo
Anotherhopeful
Aug 30 2011 06:08 PM
Wishing you all the best on this journey - great advice about the elephant - you will get there step by step!
    • leigh14 likes this
Photo
ladylazarus
Aug 31 2011 02:08 PM
Yep, one day at a time. You've got the best attitude possible. I also think you're right that you cannot predict what you'd do next because there are too many unknowns. You are forging new territory and being incredibly brave. Just keep breathing and hang in there when it all feels overwhelming. Lots of wise words from your fellow travelers.
Wishing you the very best. Your heart will not lead you astray.
Follow your heart and bite by bite - you will get there! Keep blogging too. Wishing you much luck on your journey...and strength! :Emoticons09780:

Recent Comments

April 2024

S M T W T F S
1415 16 17181920

Tags

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Search My Blog

My Friends' Blogs

Categories

MyBlogLog