8 replies to this topic

#1 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:fertility solutions

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

I was dx'ed via HCG with 2 blocked Fallopian tubes. Failed my first IVF cycle however have 5 frozens. F/u in June for FET.

I've learned on this Forum that blocked tubes can make IVF very unsuccessful. Can you pls advise if this is an issue you have seen in the past? thank you

#2 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 164 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

Where did you read this?? I would imagine that blockes tubes is a reason to go for ivf as there is no use for them.unless there are other medical issues related to IF i dont see why ivf wont work.

#3 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,798 posts
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

I believe Carly may be referring to the potential impact of a hydrosalpinx which can negatively affect an IVF cycle.  However, it's my understanding that not all blocked tubes have hydros (I have a dx of blocked tubes but never had any fluid mentioned).

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#4 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

I believe Carly may be referring to the potential impact of a hydrosalpinx which can negatively affect an IVF cycle.  However, it's my understanding that not all blocked tubes have hydros (I have a dx of blocked tubes but never had any fluid mentioned).

Yes! that is what I am referring to! thank you! Do you know how one would find out if the blocked tubes contain fluid? thank you!

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,909 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Carly it would be noted in the notes from the HSG.

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#6 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Carly it would be noted in the notes from the HSG.

thank you! That is so so helpful! It was not noted

#7 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 58 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Exactly. A hydrosalpinx would indicate a blockage in the far end of the tube away from the uterus and it would fill up with fluid. Sometime the blockage is close to the uterus and is not a hydrosalpinx and in those cases it should not have any effect on IVF.

#8 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 602 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Just a comment that just because a hydrosalpinx is not seen on HSG doesn't mean one is "out of the woods".

For me, I had numerous HSGs and SHGs that were fine and one that only showed a small hesitation before the fluid went through. Then a few years later it became hydrosalpinx.  So then I had that one tube removed, and then the next year, on a followup SHG my other tube was hydro so then had another surgery to remove that one.

However as long as you get checked close to the time of your upcoming treatment, it should be ok I would think like the doctor says.

Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#9 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Exactly. A hydrosalpinx would indicate a blockage in the far end of the tube away from the uterus and it would fill up with fluid. Sometime the blockage is close to the uterus and is not a hydrosalpinx and in those cases it should not have any effect on IVF.

thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blocked tubes, help, question