7 replies to this topic

#1 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:fertility solutions

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi Guys, Question? I had my HSG three months ago. This showed both tubes completely blocked. IVF was than recommended. First cycle, tried and failed - will be attempting FET in the very near future. I am seeing many of you that were advised to consider tubal surgery? This is not something that was discussed with me. Can anyone explain why this may be helpful/why so many people seem to be having this done with this diagnosis. Thank you so much

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 5,708 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

I think if there's extra flui lingering, tubal removal is recommended. I don't think they do surgery to actually open the tube since it isn't often successful? Maybe someone else can jump in here.
  • annatarz79 likes this

See about me page.

#3 Seem14

Seem14
  • 98 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

Hi Carly,

I too was dx with blocked tubes (hydrosalphix) in 2015.  Basically, I was told depending on where and how severe the blockage is they can "try to fix" it.  Mine were both blocked on the tips where the fimbriae is (you know those finger looking things that sweep the fertilized eggs into the uterus) and they were severely blocked as in I had a lot of fluid inside. I had the option to "fix" them.  However, trying to open them up comes with the risk of the new made up hole (incision) to heal over b/c naturally your body would want to heal itself.  This way, there is no guarantee that they will stay open and even then you don't know how long they will be open for. And then, if the tubes close/ heal itself again, then you're having to have the same issue and chances are you'll end up getting them removed anyway. 

My second (and best) option would be to just remove both completely - I just save myself an extra surgery and I never have to worry if they are still open or not. 

However, not doing anything about the blocked tubes is not a good idea.  I was given a 10% to zero chance of conceiving if I kept my tubes the way they were.  What happens is the fluid in your tubes will backwash into your uterus, which then can get rid of any embryos that implanted - causing you to miscarry.  Also, just having the fluids in there creates a very toxic environment for the embryo therefore your chances of conceiving is pretty impossible. 

I'm surprised that this wasn't addressed to you.  I would definitely ask your doctor(s) about this.... Hope this helps! 

• annatarz79 likes this

#4 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 164 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hi Carly, i just want to say that i have one of my tubes is blocked and when i asked if i can do surgery to unblock it my doc at the time suggested to not have surgery. some times the healing is not going as planned and leaves scars inside the tubes that can cause lots of problems such as ectopic pregnancy etc. maybe you can discuss all your options and risks too.  good luck. 

#5 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hi Carly,

I too was dx with blocked tubes (hydrosalphix) in 2015.  Basically, I was told depending on where and how severe the blockage is they can "try to fix" it.  Mine were both blocked on the tips where the fimbriae is (you know those finger looking things that sweep the fertilized eggs into the uterus) and they were severely blocked as in I had a lot of fluid inside. I had the option to "fix" them.  However, trying to open them up comes with the risk of the new made up hole (incision) to heal over b/c naturally your body would want to heal itself.  This way, there is no guarantee that they will stay open and even then you don't know how long they will be open for. And then, if the tubes close/ heal itself again, then you're having to have the same issue and chances are you'll end up getting them removed anyway. 

My second (and best) option would be to just remove both completely - I just save myself an extra surgery and I never have to worry if they are still open or not. 

However, not doing anything about the blocked tubes is not a good idea.  I was given a 10% to zero chance of conceiving if I kept my tubes the way they were.  What happens is the fluid in your tubes will backwash into your uterus, which then can get rid of any embryos that implanted - causing you to miscarry.  Also, just having the fluids in there creates a very toxic environment for the embryo therefore your chances of conceiving is pretty impossible. 

I'm surprised that this wasn't addressed to you.  I would definitely ask your doctor(s) about this.... Hope this helps! 

Thank you so much for the reply.

When I had my HSG I was told them both tubes were "completely blocked" Bc of this DX I have started the IVF/FET process based on my RE's recommendation. 

I was not told or given info on the tubes back washing into the uterus. This makes me wonder if this is why IVF has failed. I am going to address this with the RE. One more quick question, were they able to see the fluid in your tubes on the HSG/how did you know that you had this trapped fluid?

thanks!

#6 SAllcock16

SAllcock16
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hi Carly

I am going for my surgery on Thursday this week! I miscarried in October, had a Hydro in Jan and I was told that neither of my tubes 'filled and spilled' and they are sat with fluid in them. I've heard/read about the fluid being toxic and I think this is what caused my miscarriage (I'm not sure though if it was this or my miscarriage caused my blocked tubes....) I was told that I can't start IVF until I have had surgery.

I am really nervous about it, but equally feel like it will hopefully give us some of the answers we need....:) 

#7 Seem14

Seem14
  • 98 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Clinic

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:59 AM

Hi Carly, 

The HSG will only show you the blockage, but it's the actual laparoscopy procedure that will essentially determine how much fluid is retained in the tube.  Laparoscopy is a surgery that uses a camera to look at your tubes and it's thru an incision into your abdomen.  It's a pretty quick procedure really and the recovery time is fairly quick as well.  rolleyes.gif My OB removed both my tubes thru that as well. 

I think it's definitely worth your while to have this discussion with your RE, and please feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions! I'd be happy to help!

Wishing you all the best C! smile.png

#8 Carly102988

Carly102988
  • Just Hatched
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi Carly

I am going for my surgery on Thursday this week! I miscarried in October, had a Hydro in Jan and I was told that neither of my tubes 'filled and spilled' and they are sat with fluid in them. I've heard/read about the fluid being toxic and I think this is what caused my miscarriage (I'm not sure though if it was this or my miscarriage caused my blocked tubes....) I was told that I can't start IVF until I have had surgery.

I am really nervous about it, but equally feel like it will hopefully give us some of the answers we need....smile.png

Good luck to you!!!!!! If anything it will give you answers! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, blocked tubes, IVF, tubal problems