4 replies to this topic

#1 kellylm

kellylm
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC, now Hannam

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi all!

My beautiful son was born in Jan 2016 at 26 + 1 weeks due to a placental abruption. He's doing so well and we have one little embryo left. Anyone here had a subsequent full term baby after having a preemie? We know we were so lucky our boy has no delays (so far...) and are nervous.

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

Wow - what a scary experience to have had. I'm glad to hear your little one is doing well. Have you spoken to your OB about it and the likelihood of reoccurance of having such an early placental abruption (I had one too, but at full term). If it makes you feel any better, anyone I know who has had a preemie and another baby afterwards, the subsequent baby was full term. 

Wishing you lots of luck in your decision

:flowers:

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#3 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

My cousin's first was born around 26 weeks and the next went to term or close to it.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#4 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

I'm so glad your preemie is doing well. I'm the mom of a 33 week preemie, although I spent several months on bedrest and more than a month in the hospital prior to her birth, so we were very prepared for a much earlier birth as well.

Although I don't have a second, a friend of mine that I met in the NICU had a full term birth after she had a preemie.

I agree that checking with a high risk OB for their thoughts would be a good idea.

As well, if you aren't already aware of it, there is a great preemie message board on Inspire where you might find more people who have been in a similar situation as you.

Best of luck.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#5 Emily81

Emily81
  • 1000+
  • 1533 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART- Halifax

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

I would also advise you to consult with a high risk OB. Sometimes progesterone therapy helps to prevent premature births, but I am unfamiliar with placental issues. If pursuing IVF I'd highly advise an elective single embryo transfer.

I have an incompetent cervix, and delivered at 33 weeks after 9 weeks of hospital bedrest. We didn't have more children but if we had gotten pregnant again, the "plan" was a cerclage and progesterone therapy. Wishing you lots of luck!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: second pregnancy, preemie, placental abruption