Photo
- - - - -

VEHICLE SEARCH - large groups (infant, toddler, school age, teen, 2 parents)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1,239 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Looking at vehicles that regularly seat 6 - we like the Odyssey and the Sienna. I also like the Suburban and the Armada, but I don't know if the 3rd row is actually useable by adults (since my 6 foot teen will sometimes be back there, or my 6'3 husband.)

Anyone have advice? I have noticed with 3rd up sometimes space for stroller etc is limited. Which is not good. Would have thought minivans were AMAZING for space but such is not always the case.

Any experience appreciated.

Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30. TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012. Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

#2 ImpatientlyWaiting

ImpatientlyWaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 308 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic, PCRM Edmonton

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hey s00n, are you looking for anything specific out of the vehicle other than a useable third row?  Like towable, certain manufacturers, the look/materials used, fuel efficiency, overall size, price....

When my hubby and I were looking for a larger SUV we wanted a useable third row while still having room for our large dog in the trunk.  As well we needed something that could tow our trailer, but still look nice and not this huge boat that I wouldn't be able to park in a normal parking stall.  We settled on a Durango R/T.  We also liked the Armada but couldn't find one with all the options we wanted.  We've had our Durango now for a few years and still love it.

• s00n likes this

#3 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2,074 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

I have spent the last year looking for the perfect large vehicle..... in the end I settled.

I previously had a dodge journey but the leg room in the 3rd row was non existent and I knew I needed to upgrade.

My dream vehicle was a Nissan NV (seats 12) but we discovered that you need to place an order for them and wait until they get enough orders to make a batch of them, as of February they didnt even have a release date for the 2017 models so we had to move on.

In the end we were stuck between a chevy yukon  and a GMC acadia. When we compared the specs there was 1" difference in 3rd row leg room for a considerable difference financially so we went with the acadia. There are things that I dont love about it but over all its a decent vehicle for a large family.

• s00n likes this

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#4 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,583 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

I have a loved one who got a very old full sized van. The kind with curtains in the windows! It had room for EVERYTHING. I think it was a GMC. Best of luck in the search
:flowers:

• s00n likes this

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

#5 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

Thanks guys, I so appreciate it. We're looking used and I don't want to waste anyone's time TRYING out their cars if it's not even a consideration. We are 3 peeps who are almost 6ft (me) or over 6ft (the guys) and will have one in a booster another year and a half (DD) a convertible at least 2.5 years (DD) and infant seat then convertible for 4.5 years (September impending baby.)

I should have stated- we're looking used. We have a 2015 Rogue that has a 3rd row, but with it up, can't fit a stroller or the dog (medium guy). We will have to sell it since we still owe 20K - hoping we can sell it for a little over that.

AWD and towing aren't an issue for us (damn- because I would totally get a camper but DH just isn't into it)

So really, I want a third row that can fit an adult relatively comfortably, and I still want space for my double stroller.

So far the Honda odyssey and the Toyota sienna are winning out (bleh) but I like the suburban too, and I just saw the Acadia the other day. If I was buying new it might be an Acadia - re sticker price and look, but used I don't know how long one would last, vs Honda/Toyota reliability which I feel more comfortable with buying used.

Cass- did you get a used Acadia or buy new? Wondering what the repairs are like etc. ;) I love that Nissan vehicle too.

Nervus- I think a full sized van would be baller. Perhaps as they get older. ;) My husband would kill me but I would enjoy.

IW- have you had adults in the back seat? Can you still fit stuff behind? I like the Honda Pilot but with the 3rd row up it's CRAP cargo space from what I've read in specs.

I may be overthinking it, but we bought the Rogue in 2014 and promptly decided to do IVF, had a baby, felt our car was a BIT small but managed and then wham. So I am really wary of making the wrong choice...

Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30. TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012. Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

#6 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi soon - we now have 5 kids including my 2 6 foot teenaged stepsons, 2 3 year olds in convertible car seats and a baby soon to leave her bucket for another rear facing car seat. I ended up buying the suburban ltz for exactly the reasons you stated - usable third row for everyone plus a full sized trunk for stroller and dog. The suburban def fits all these things well and is an incredible snow vehicle as well but the cost of gas is staggering and i thought the 2005 lexus suv I sold was a gas pig. I guess we cant have everything but it is something to consider and would be a shock compared to a rogue.
  • s00n likes this

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/c@9weeks th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#7 ImpatientlyWaiting

ImpatientlyWaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 308 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic, PCRM Edmonton

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

S00n - My husband and I rotated on and off in the third row for a 9 hour car ride.  I'm only 5'3" and had plenty of room.  My husband is about 5'9" and also fits totally fine.  He never complained about being cramped.  We were travelling with two other adults, a rear facing car seat, a 70lbs dog and tons of luggage.  No one had complaints about the leg room, only numb bums after being in a vehicle so long - which is always unavoidable.

The way the trunk is configured, we weren't sure if our dog would have enough room in the trunk, but he can still turn around and lay down.  Being totally honest, he has just enough room to do a 360 in the trunk, but he never seemed to mind and his Costco bed was still back there with him.  The only thing I don't like is how the second row seat has to fold to get to the third row.  I loved how the pathfinders second row seat slide up so you could still leave a car seat on it, but the Durango one literally folds in half so we can't leave our daughters car seat on the side we wanted to.

• s00n likes this

#8 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

The gas factor is shocking for sure, I've been using the NRCan tool to research this. We had a great deal offered on a vehicle, but it's the WORST for gas.

The Rogue is even less gas to operate than our new to us 2008 Hyundai Accent 2 door. (The antithesis of the vehicle we need, but my mom gave it to us so what can I say?) ;) Anyone wanna buy an amazing 2 year old Rogue? I will miss the 360% cameras and the nav and handsfree calling etc... But I will just install some of those things aftermarket (except the 360 cam, that's AMAZING.)

Did you find that the suburban has a LOT more space than a minivan? I am still KIND of leaning towards it but DH is concerned he may not be able to park a Suburban work, so potentially a van.

#9 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2,074 posts
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

We bought used, traded in the journey towards the acadia. 

I've only had it for two months so thankfully no repairs needed yet (knock on wood) and the gas consumption has been good so I cant complain about that (costs about $60 to fill the tank) 

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/