#1 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hi there,

I am a 32 year old female with stage 1 endo. We are waiting to talk to our RE at Heartland about IVF. He took my AMH and my family doctor told me the results. She told me the scale was .6-6 and mine was 1.5 and therefore "normal". However, she then said she didn't know much about it, looked it up, and said it was low and would leave us with only a 10% success at IVF.

Can anyone comment on this? I called the receptionist at Heartland, but she just said my tests were "normal". My appointment isn't for another 2 months and it's making me crazy not knowing.

Thanks for your help.

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 522 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

I would suggest reading through this post: http://ivf.ca/forums...it-explanation/

Good summary on AMH. And you can use the search button on the forum for other conversations on AMH. They say it is the gold standard but my AMH result actually increased by almost 30% over a year and doesn't align with my AFC and day 3 FSH. I know it is hard not to panic but there are a lot of other factors to consider aside from AMH.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your appointment. I know this can all be overwhelming.

• annatarz79 likes this

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#3 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thanks so much for replying. Ah that's quite upsetting, at 32 I don't understand why my AMH is that of a 40 year old. I'll try not to panic for now, but as each month passes it's so tough!!

#4 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 522 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Have you had your Vit D level checked? Mine was low and I supplemented and then my AMH went up. Low vit D can suppress your AMH reading.

• s00n likes this

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#5 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

No I haven't but that's good to know, thanks!
I read a scale on another site that said 1-3 was normal and any anything over 3 can be PCOS. It's all so confusing!

#6 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Traveling & Writing
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:MONTREAL

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Please don't let AMH levels bring you down. I was told my AMH was 0.38 at the age of 33...that my chance of ever having a successful pregnancy was close to none.

Low and behold, I got pregnant with twins! Do not let AMH results make you think you can't get pregnant. also important to mention; we got pregnant every single time we tried! They always ended in chemical pregnancies but that had nothing to do with my numbers...it was hormonal and he nice I figured it out we got pregnant for real:)
Don't give up, your age matters (you're still young!) and it WILL happen !

#7 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Please don't let AMH levels bring you down. I was told my AMH was 0.38 at the age of 33...that my chance of ever having a successful pregnancy was close to none.

Low and behold, I got pregnant with twins! Do not let AMH results make you think you can't get pregnant. also important to mention; we got pregnant every single time we tried! They always ended in chemical pregnancies but that had nothing to do with my numbers...it was hormonal and he nice I figured it out we got pregnant for real:)
Don't give up, your age matters (you're still young!) and it WILL happen !

#8 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Thanks so much! Was that through ivf? We've been trying naturally for two years and nada... I've had a lap but it looks like IVF is next. I heard that AMH doesn't matter too much if you're conceiving naturally, but with IVF it makes a big difference??

#9 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

We tried IVF and it failed, we did a FET and it makes sense to me now that it didn't work bevuse I didn't have any hormonal support.
This was on our own, I took Femara days 5-9 I think (you'll need to check the blog) if u can't find it I'll send u link:)

Then trigger shot even though I ovulate on my own pregnyl 10.000 units

Then 6 days later a follow up pregnyl shot 10.000 units again (this was the key!!) and it made our baby finally stick!

I took progesterone until heartbeat scan as well. L took in the past too but it never worked on it's own...
  • annatarz79 likes this

#10 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

Here Is the link to the exact protocol. Please try it before you pay for Ivf; it's less invasive and super simple! I thank god every day that I found this blog!

https://recurrentear...al-pregnancies/

#11 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Ok thanks!! So they were able to do a retrieval even with your AMH? I'm so worried...

I'm glad it worked for you and thanks for the info!! We have never been pregnant, not even a chemical, but I will keep that in mind!

#12 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Ok so if you never had a chemical or anything I would just keep trying! Like I said don't let AMH get you down.

Secondly, for my ivf cycle, it was pathetic I had one egg retrieved! It fertilized and made it to day 3 but still, pathetic results. With stimulation I didn't respond well either but that doesn't mean much...other natural cycles I had more for my AFC ...so it would depend. With my twins I had 2 eggs and both took. That's one year after a failed ivf...numbers don't mean anything, really. Doctor's love to give these percentages and numbers but in reality our bodies do amazing things that they sometimes can't explain!
I just knew I could have more kids and didn't let the numbers worry me.

Have you tried ovulation strips?

#13 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thanks. We've been trying for 2 years and have tried ov strips and letrozole. And a lap and hsg...

It's probably the endo that's causing the infertility. But with the AMH numbers I've been told my chances at ivf aren't great. Which maybe makes sense if you only had the one retrieved:(

I'm glad it worked for you! And I hope you're right and it works for us too:)

#14 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:14 AM

Yes but like others have said, AMH is not
Indicative of how many eggs you'll get. Also, it doesn't reflect the quality of what they retrieve either. Your age plays a HUGE factor in this process. So even if they only get one egg, it can work! They give you these depressing numbers in case.
Also look at all the previous posts, so many people and studied state that it doesn't define your chances. I know many people who retrieved many eggs, but among those eggs it amounted to nothing...have they told you your AFC (follicle count?) after letrozole?
I'm not
Trying to give you false hope, I'm just being realistic and make you see that your age is a huge bonus on your side :))

#15 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Ok thanks I appreciate that! All I've been told so far is that it is an indicator of how I'll respond to IVF and the quantity of eggs they will retrieve. And my family doctor gave me the 10% chance statistic. But good to know and thanks for the hope!!

#16 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Oops and no... I haven't ever had an AFC done. I'll mark that down as one of my questions for my upcoming appointment. Thanks:)

#17 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 36 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

AMH is a good predictor of the number of eggs and response of the ovaries to stimulation. It does not do a great job at predicting pregnancy, as you have heard from some other members on the forum. So I wouldn't let it bring you down too much! A low AMH level just tells me that you would want to move relatively quickly with attempts to conceive and doing treatment.

It also depends on the units of measurement they used to better interpret the results, and the assay the lab used. 

Good luck!

• mouse likes this

#18 Mission

Mission
  • 30 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Gensis

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

I think the above post from DrMichealHartman says it all.  AMH just tells you your egg reserves and the drug protocol you will have and how you will react. You need to look at it along with your FSH, Estrodial and AFC.

I was 34 when i had my first AMH test done and it was 0.47!  I had IVF right away and had my first child with a FET.   I went to cycle with my second IVF (AFC was only 4) and day 1 never came.  I ended up with a natural pregnancy at the age of 37.

Please don't get discouraged with your AMH results.

Read my Bio for details: 

Aug/Sept 2012 - ICSI#1
Me:35 DX: Low AMH (0.47), 10 AFC, Estradiol 211, FSH 5
DH:34 DX: 0% Morphology - excellent sperm count/motility

BC pill then Menopur and Bravelle. 

10 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, day 3 (2- 8A, 2-7B, 1C). 

Transferred 2 8A’s, the other 2 made it to day 6 blasts and frozen.  BFN

2013 - FET # 1 (natural cycle)

Feb 19 - Ultrasound - large 20mm follicle.

Feb 24 – Transferred 1 Blast 4BC

Mar 8 – BFP

Oct 23 - Healty Baby Boy 5lb 4oz (3 weeks early)

2015 – IVF #2

ME: 37 Low AMH (1), 4 AFC, Estradiol 199, FSH 14.1
Dec 2014 – Bought drugs waiting to cycle

Jan 4, 2015 – Natural BFP!!

Sept 1, 2015 – Healthy Baby Girl 6lb 5oz

2017 - FET #2 (natural cycle)

March 10 - Ultrasound

March 11 - positive OP test

March 16 – Transferred 1 Blast 4CC

#19 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Dr Hartman for your response. I just know the scale was .6 to 6. Appreciate your response!

Thank so much, Mission. I'm glad it worked out for you! Can I ask why you had a frozen transfer with your first round of IVF? Sorry I'm new to this all...
My family doc said it was a 10% chance, so with that plus having endo I've been feeling so depressed. But these positive stories are helping me keep my chin up a bit. I really hope my RE is more positive than my family doc!

#20 Mission

Mission
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

I did the FET after the IVF round.

When i was 34 I had an AMH of 0.48 and had 10 follicles.  5 fertilized (probably because I had lower quality due to endo). 2 eggs were used during that round.  2 were frozen.  I later did a FET and got pregnant.

I'm unsure why your family doctor is giving you any percentages at this stage when you have not had a complete work up and had an AFC. Your AMH alone can not give you your chances of successful pregnancy. You have age on your side if you end up needing to do IVF.

Please don't get discouraged.
  • returnable likes this

Read my Bio for details: 

Aug/Sept 2012 - ICSI#1

Mar 8 – BFP

2015 – IVF #2

March 10 - Ultrasound

#21 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Oh you have endo too? Thanks for sharing your story. It gives me a lot of hope!
I'm not sure either (I've had Day 3 and 23 tests, but not AFC) but it has created a lot of anxiety for me while waiting for my next RE appt so I'm definitely happy to hear these stories!!
He told us last time we'd need IVF as he said IUI is more for male issues? So I guess I'll see what he says in April. I'll try my best not to. Thanks:)

#22 Mission

Mission
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Your RE will be able to give you better answers the day of your first consult. Mine did my AFC on the first visit told me that most likely she would recommend IVF. I was told to start taking Coq10 and multi vitamin etc. Once she received my Amh and day 3 she confirmed IVF was the best route.. My first clinic never did any test at all on me.

My RE was wonderful and even drew mr pictures to explain some things.

This process is overwhelming and what I like to call a roller coaster ride. There are lots of wonderful people on this site to support you. I acutally met few great friends and now our IVF babies even play together.

Read my Bio for details: 

Aug/Sept 2012 - ICSI#1

Mar 8 – BFP

2015 – IVF #2

March 10 - Ultrasound

#23 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

I've had 3-4 appointments so far but most were focused on surgery (my RE did my lap) so I'm looking forward to getting more information at the next one.

Aw that's great to hear. Thanks! And yes overwhelming is an understatement!

#24 Somehowsomeway

Somehowsomeway
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hello winni2017. I go to Heartland. And you really have to press them for answers it seems as long as they have numbers you can work with it's like let's do I'vf. I know a few girls with not so great amh have awesome results. My gf got 12 eggs at ccrm in Colorado. She was originally from Winnipeg and Heartland thought maybe 4-6. So who knows
Who is your doctor there?

#25 Winni2017

Winni2017
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hey. That's good to know. Dr McTavish did my surgery and I have my next appointment with him. Who do you see?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amh, endometriosis, heartland