Photo
- - - - -

FYI: Refund for culture to blast that didn't happen....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anuenue

Anuenue
  • 70 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about an experience we recently had with our last attempt at FET.

We had twins back in 2013 and decided last summer to go back to the clinic to try for baby #3 with our 3 remaining embryos.  They were frozen at day 3.  Dr. Min recommended we thaw them and culture to the blast stage before transferring.  We paid for the cycle back in November which included a fee for assisted hatching as well as the culture to blast.  I asked about this at the time, saying "what if we don't need assisted hatching" to which I was assured if it's not done they just issue a refund.  Sounded fine to me...

Things did not go as planned.  2 embryos did not survive the thaw.  1 did and looked great so they called us immediately and recommended transferring them right away rather than waiting until day 5.  We went to the clinic and transferred our last remaining embryo which sadly ended in a chemical pregnancy.  

After the shock of seeing a positive test result only to have it turn to negative it took us a while to process everything.  Eventually I remembered about paying for the culture to blast which ended up not taking place.  I called the clinic to see about getting a refund for this $310 charge and the nurse seemed a bit confused and told me she had never been asked this before!!  She said she would talk to someone and get back to me.  I never did get a call back.  I sort of forgot about it and then a few weeks later I got a cheque in the mail for $310. 

The reason I am writing this post is because I am sure we are not the only ones who had the plan to culture their day 3 embryos to blast stage and then have it not happen.  If I had not called them I can GUARANTEE we never would have gotten the $310 back.  Even with the call I was skeptical they were going to refund the money.  

We spend a fortune at the clinic so any little bit you can get back I am sure helps!

This ended our journey to another pregnancy.  I am forever grateful to the clinic for helping us have our family. I look at my sweet babes who are 4 now (how did that happen???  Time really does go so fast!) and know I am so lucky to have them.  Baby #3 just wasn't meant to be. 

Wishing everyone on this forum the best of luck with their journey to parenthood.heart.gif

Me: 38 DH: 37
TTC since: 2009
Diagnosed: Severe Male Factor May 2010
Initial Consult w/ Foothills: Nov 2010
IVF w/ ICSI #1 offered: March 2011
ER: April 21st 2010 - 23 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 8-3day embryos, 2-5 day blasts frozen
ET: April 26th 2010 - 1 fresh day 5 blast
May 9th 2010 - BFN sad.png

FET #1
Offered treatment July 2011
ET: Sept 1, 2011 - 2 day 3 embies
HPT: Sept 13 - BFN sad.png

FET #2
Offered treatment Dec 18, 2011
Start Suprefact Dec 31, 2011
Ultrasound January 30, 2012
ET: February 2, 2012 - 2 day 3 embies
HPT: Feb 16 - BFN sad.png

FET #3

ET:  June 12, 2012 - 2 day 5 blasts

HPT: June 24, 2012 - BFP!!! biggrin.png

EDD: Feb 28, 2013

Feb 11, 2013 - Twins arrived safe & sound!  5lbs 5oz & 5lbs 3oz

FET #4

Re-referred back to RFP:  August 15, 2016

Got the call for initial consult:  August 19, 2016

SHG:  October 20, 2016

Consult:  November 1, 2016 

#2 Harlo17

Harlo17
  • Just Hatched
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

My clinic always reconciles a few months after and then I will receive a cheque or a credit on file.

Me 29 Hubby 32

TTC Since October 2013

1 natural conception miscarriage Nov 2014 at 10 weeks 8388.gif

3 IUI's -  th_abfn.gif

3 IVF Retrievals

1 Fresh Transfer th_abfn.gif

1 Frozen Transfer th_abfp.gif Finally success with a Frozen Mosaic Embryo! Due May 2017 babyboy.gif