8 replies to this topic

#1 patenash

patenash
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi
Just wondering as I asked if we could have 2 embryos transferred and was shot down quickly and didn't ask much more. 33yr old with unexplained 6 mc 1tri, this is our first FET in April PGS tested embryos and not funded by OHIP
We feel we a would rather 2, I am aware twins can cause complicated pregnancies but I do know many moms with multiples and if we ended up with 2+ that would be nice, financially we are exhausted to think we have to pay to store embryos and pay for another FET in our future, as most are I'm sure, I didn't push again about the topic but it is bothering me,
can our RE refuse to transfer 2? Is really my question.
Thank you

#2 Hilary

Hilary
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

I was refused based on the fact that I have a bicornuate uterus. But my understanding is that this clinic (RFP, Calgary) generally discourages it.

• ENF likes this

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,638 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Most clinics discourage the transfer of more than one PGS tested blastocyst. Generally most will do two day 3 embryo transfers, but the day 5 blast the chances of twins is much higher, and the risks to the mother and the kids should not be played down.

• ENF likes this

December 2016 IVF - no chromosomally normal embryos to transfer

February 2017 IVF - no chromosomally normal embryos to transfer

We are done with my eggs

#4 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1,200 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

There are so many risks - honestly - as OP says - do not underestimate. Births that result in Cerebral Palsy, early delivery etc. We know tons of twins that are fine, and I know some that have significant delays too.

If you've never had a FET your clinic should be optimistic that your transfer will take, AND they are marked for trying to LOWER the rate of twin delivery. Twin delivery is incredibly expensive on the healthcare system too, in many instances.

If your clinic is doing a SET (Single Embryo Transfer) they must think you have good chances - OR they want to figure out why you miscarry, and don't want to waste 2 embryos finding out.

A FET at my clinic is cheap ($1500 or something) and storage is $500/year first year covered by cost of IVF I think.

SET is truly the best way to go. Unless you've been proven to respond poorly to embryo transfer, then it may be within your clinic's parameters to refuse you as the most medically responsible path to take.

• nervus optimist, Red Wine and ENF like this
Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30. TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012. Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

#5 patenash

patenash
  • 7 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to keep me informed this information helps
  • nervus optimist and s00n like this

#6 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,638 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

s00n makes a really good point two about "risking" only one blastocyst at a time rather than losing two. Think of everything you had to go through to get to this point and the one a time approach may be more cost efficient in the end.

December 2016 IVF - no chromosomally normal embryos to transfer

February 2017 IVF - no chromosomally normal embryos to transfer

We are done with my eggs

#7 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,438 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

When we were doing our FET and talking about how many to transfer our RE said they had to meet ethical requirements and implied that Canada has more strict requirements than the US.  That may mean they've got a company policy on it, or it may mean there's a higher ethical/medical code, I'm not sure, but my RE wouldn't consider more than 1 day 5 blast for us and I'm 43. 

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#8 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Like Soon stated unless seem to have problems with transfer then your clinic will be reluctant to transfer two. I transferred two but only after three failed FET's that were single transfers. At 32 my doctor let us transfer two and we got a single boy.
  • s00n and Mamasita204 like this

See about me page.

#9 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 36 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Ultimately a physician will only do what they are comfortable doing, so if they feel very strongly about only transferring 1 embryo I doubt there would be much wiggle room there. Especially with a PGS tested normal embryo, I would have the same opinion. Additionally, singleton pregnancies have a lower risk of pregnancy loss, so in your case it likely makes even more sense.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck

• mouse, s00n, Ola1981 and 3 others like this