May 2017 - IVF Buddies

41 replies to this topic

#26 csbd

csbd
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM Edmonton

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Orientation is tomorrow! So excited! Really interested to find out my protocol. I'm pretty sure I'll be on birth control, as we need to time my cycle for when my fiancé is home. He works away 4 weeks and then is home for 2 weeks.
What type of progesterone will you all be taking? PIO shots, oral, suppositories?

Exciting! Share what you learn! I was pleasantly surprised that I'll be doing suppositories. Will take that over PIO injections despite I heard they are messy. Is your fiancé up north?

#27 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:KRFC/Olive

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

My fiancé got home late on Friday. We scheduled the orientation so that he would be able to attend. Our clinic is two hours away, so we are going to make a day of it. We have a fave restaurant there that serves the most amazing Laksa soup.

I'm also hoping I'll be on suppositories! I'll be giving my own shots and am terrified of having to do IM shots. I did suppositories with IUI a long time ago and didn't find them too terrible.

Will find out tomorrow.. So excited to get this process rolling!
r7svm8.png

#28 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

I also had suppositories called Prometrium.
3 x 2 capsules per day = 600mg.

Me: 29 30, Husband: 32 33
Dx: low morphology (1%)
DH on Nutraception & Acupuncture --> No improvement
Now started on Chinese herbs.

August 2016 - IUI #1
Clomid 100mg, trigger Pregnyl 5000.
2.3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

One month break because of cysts.

October 2016 - IUI #2
cancelled due to early ovulation

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3
3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

February 2017 - IVF to IUI
Antagonist protocol:
started at 150 IU Gonal-F and 75 IU Luveris, baby aspirin.
After 4 days of injections, increased Gonal-F to 300 IU.
Luveris still at 75 IU, started Cetrotide 0.25mg.
Only 4 mature follicles --> Converted to Superovulation IUI.
trigger Pregnyl 10000
3 million post-wash sperm count.
Taking baby aspirin and Prometrium.
-->BFN

Two cycles break required for the ovaries to recover.

May 2017 - second IVF cycle planned
Antagonist protocol:
Dose increased to 300 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur.

#29 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Tough day. Hysteroscopy showed I have uterine hyperplasia, so I need to have a D&C before we can continue. Depending how long it takes to get in, this could push our cycle into summer.

I have our protocol (antagonist). Marvelon, Menopur, Puregon, Orgalutran, Endometrin, and Estrace.

I know it's not the end, but I'm just feeling really down right now. Have any of you had a D&C before? It sounds awful..
r7svm8.png

#30 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 66 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Tough day. Hysteroscopy showed I have uterine hyperplasia, so I need to have a D&C before we can continue. Depending how long it takes to get in, this could push our cycle into summer.

I have our protocol (antagonist). Marvelon, Menopur, Puregon, Orgalutran, Endometrin, and Estrace.

I know it's not the end, but I'm just feeling really down right now. Have any of you had a D&C before? It sounds awful..

Sorry to hear about the delay. What's a D&C?

#31 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Dilation & Curettage. They dilate the cervix and then scrape out the uterus with a spoon-like instrument.

It's been a really rough 24 hours. I've researched way more than I should. Not feeling much hope. There's a chance of cancer and hysterectomy. Trying to keep it together until I get my biopsy results, should take about a week.
r7svm8.png

#32 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

So sorry NikkiMc :(

Me: 29 30, Husband: 32 33
Dx: low morphology (1%)
DH on Nutraception & Acupuncture --> No improvement
Now started on Chinese herbs.

August 2016 - IUI #1
2.3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

One month break because of cysts.

October 2016 - IUI #2
cancelled due to early ovulation

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3
3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

February 2017 - IVF to IUI
Antagonist protocol:
started at 150 IU Gonal-F and 75 IU Luveris, baby aspirin.
After 4 days of injections, increased Gonal-F to 300 IU.
Luveris still at 75 IU, started Cetrotide 0.25mg.
Only 4 mature follicles --> Converted to Superovulation IUI.
trigger Pregnyl 10000
3 million post-wash sperm count.
Taking baby aspirin and Prometrium.
-->BFN

Two cycles break required for the ovaries to recover.

May 2017 - second IVF cycle planned
Antagonist protocol:
Dose increased to 300 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur.

#33 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Dilation & Curettage. They dilate the cervix and then scrape out the uterus with a spoon-like instrument.

It's been a really rough 24 hours. I've researched way more than I should. Not feeling much hope. There's a chance of cancer and hysterectomy. Trying to keep it together until I get my biopsy results, should take about a week.

Sorry you have to go through that Nikki.
I know it's our common urge to Google everything, but don't psych yourself out. Take it a step at a time.

I know it's easier said than done. I'm even worried about the ER, so...I get it

#34 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

AF finally came after a few days of spotting, so starting BCP tomorrow. Hormones...here we go!
  • csbd likes this

#35 csbd

csbd
  • 17 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM Edmonton

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

NikkiMc I'm sorry to hear about your D&C but hope you get the best news you can about the biopsy this week.

#36 aryan225

aryan225
  • 15 posts
  • My Clinic:Dr. Claman

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi Ladies!

Looks like I'll be doing a FET in early May! We went through IVF this month.  Issue is husbands mobility and they found out I have a low egg reserve.  So they put me on a very high dosage (300 gonal f & 150 luveris).  I reacted very well to the meds, and ended up getting 27 eggs, 20 were mature and all 20 fertilized using ICSI.  Went back on March 20th for transfer (though we didn't get our hopes too high because we were told it would likely be a freeze all), I was too high risk for OHSS, so we did a freeze all cycle - but we got to freeze 5 embryos (yay).  We are skipping this cycle and going to do a medicated FET with my next cycle (CD1 should be April 21st).  It sucks because we have to pay another $2000, but we are still on the waitlist, so if it doesn't work, we at least have that and more time to save... to try again. Hoping that May will be our lucky month though!  If anyone has any questions about IVF, I am all ears.  I was a little nervous of the injections (we ended up having to do 28), but with my husband doing them, they weren't bad.  After about a week when you start running out of room if you pick a spot a little too close to a previous shot, it stung for a second, but other than that the shots aren't that bad!  Sending all the positive thoughts out to you ladies, xo

#37 Thisismyyear

Thisismyyear
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive fertility Centre

Posted Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Hi Ladies!

Looks like I'll be doing a FET in early May! We went through IVF this month.  Issue is husbands mobility and they found out I have a low egg reserve.  So they put me on a very high dosage (300 gonal f & 150 luveris).  I reacted very well to the meds, and ended up getting 27 eggs, 20 were mature and all 20 fertilized using ICSI.  Went back on March 20th for transfer (though we didn't get our hopes too high because we were told it would likely be a freeze all), I was too high risk for OHSS, so we did a freeze all cycle - but we got to freeze 5 embryos (yay).  We are skipping this cycle and going to do a medicated FET with my next cycle (CD1 should be April 21st).  It sucks because we have to pay another $2000, but we are still on the waitlist, so if it doesn't work, we at least have that and more time to save... to try again. Hoping that May will be our lucky month though!  If anyone has any questions about IVF, I am all ears.  I was a little nervous of the injections (we ended up having to do 28), but with my husband doing them, they weren't bad.  After about a week when you start running out of room if you pick a spot a little too close to a previous shot, it stung for a second, but other than that the shots aren't that bad!  Sending all the positive thoughts out to you ladies, xo

Hi  there,

I am starting my orientation next month.  I have no clue what is involved. If all goes well,  I will be starting on meds around mid to late April.  I have a low egg reserve(5.37 cdn values). Doc doesn't think they will retrieve more than 4 eggs. We have been given 30% success rate.  can I ask what was your number.

I have gained some information from this forum but it seems like everybody is different. Anything I can do to prepare myself?

Thanks!

Wishing everyone what their heart desires💕☺️😀

#38 aryan225

aryan225
  • 15 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Hi Ladies!

Hi  there,

I am starting my orientation next month.  I have no clue what is involved. If all goes well,  I will be starting on meds around mid to late April.  I have a low egg reserve(5.37 cdn values). Doc doesn't think they will retrieve more than 4 eggs. We have been given 30% success rate.  can I ask what was your number.

I have gained some information from this forum but it seems like everybody is different. Anything I can do to prepare myself?

Thanks!

Hi Thisismyyear!

Don't let that number discourage you, I was so down when my doctor called me.  I was 6.7, which he said we would be lucky if we got 10 eggs and I got 27!  They didn't lower my dosage when they realized I had a lot of follicles, they did warn us however, that we likely would have to do a freeze all - which just prolongs the process a little.  I was obviously disappointed that we have to wait an extra couple of months, but it was better then the possibility of me ending up in the hospital.  Try to be as optimistic as possible!  I know at times it seems tough, but we just kept telling ourselves that this was totally worth it.  The needles really aren't that bad!  I was pretty bloated from the needles though, so I had to wear leggings to work for a week (I ended up taking the entire week of egg retrieval off because I have the luxury of being able to work at home.. and my boss knows what's going on and has been amazing about it, they don't question any of my appointments and tell me to take all the time I need). Again, really just try to stay optimistic about the whole process, I think that really helped us. Remember - it's all worth it in the end!  If you have any questions during treatment, let me know - I am happy to share/let you know what my experience was like.

Keep your head up - numbers can be deceiving, I am living, breathing proof of that - got more than double of what they thought I would get!

xo

#39 Thisismyyear

Thisismyyear
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Olive fertility Centre

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Hi Ladies!

Hi  there,

Thanks!

Hi Thisismyyear!

Don't let that number discourage you, I was so down when my doctor called me.  I was 6.7, which he said we would be lucky if we got 10 eggs and I got 27!  They didn't lower my dosage when they realized I had a lot of follicles, they did warn us however, that we likely would have to do a freeze all - which just prolongs the process a little.  I was obviously disappointed that we have to wait an extra couple of months, but it was better then the possibility of me ending up in the hospital.  Try to be as optimistic as possible!  I know at times it seems tough, but we just kept telling ourselves that this was totally worth it.  The needles really aren't that bad!  I was pretty bloated from the needles though, so I had to wear leggings to work for a week (I ended up taking the entire week of egg retrieval off because I have the luxury of being able to work at home.. and my boss knows what's going on and has been amazing about it, they don't question any of my appointments and tell me to take all the time I need). Again, really just try to stay optimistic about the whole process, I think that really helped us. Remember - it's all worth it in the end!  If you have any questions during treatment, let me know - I am happy to share/let you know what my experience was like.

Keep your head up - numbers can be deceiving, I am living, breathing proof of that - got more than double of what they thought I would get!

xo

Thank you so much for providing me with a positive outlook.  I will definitely be bugging you once I start the process.

how long does the whole process take? I am guessing it is bit longer for you as you had to freeze all. Do you know if you can be sure of a positive outcome after eggs fertilize?  

BTW, You have great numbers.

Wishing you the best:)

Wishing everyone what their heart desires💕☺️😀

#40 aryan225

aryan225
  • 15 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Hi Ladies!

Hi  there,

Thanks!

Hi Thisismyyear!

xo

Thank you so much for providing me with a positive outlook.  I will definitely be bugging you once I start the process.

how long does the whole process take? I am guessing it is bit longer for you as you had to freeze all. Do you know if you can be sure of a positive outcome after eggs fertilize?  

BTW, You have great numbers.

Wishing you the best:)

Hi!!

Feb 25th - started estrogen patch (my cycle's aren't long, so they wanted to make sure it would help) - this is also my birthday, so I told myself this HAD to be a great sign!

Mar 2nd - started gonal F & luveris shots

Mar 7th - started cetrotide shots

Mar 9th - first US

Mar 11th - second US

Mar 12th - first BW & third US

Mar 13th - second BW & fourth US - ovidrel trigger

Mar 15th - egg retrieval (also started endometrin)

Mar 20th - 5 embryos frozen (stopped endometrin bc didn't need to worry about it with not doing the transfer)

So I was about a month from start to end of the IVF part of the cycle, because I had to do the patches.  My next CD1 should be April 21st (this is my dad's birthday - so again, trying to keep up with the optimism and say this is also a GREAT sign).  Then I get to start a whole whack of vaginal estrogen pills (could have taken them orally, but my doctor said that they seem to have a better handle on this if they are vaginal, so - vaginal it will be) and progesterone shots!  Lucky for me, my hubby is phenomenal and has been just great throughout the whole process, it has really helped.  The days when I was a little crazy from all the hormones, he just let me be crazy (I do NOT suggest watching a season finale of a show while on these meds, lol - I was a HOT MESS crying the entire time, lol).

Wishing you all the best, let me know if you have any more questions!

xo

#41 Mamasita204

Mamasita204
  • 66 posts

Posted Today, 12:38 AM

Hi Ladies!

I've got a question for you. If all 20 eggs were fertilized, how come only 5 embryos were frozen? I'm doing my first IVF cycle end Apr/beg May, so I'm not to sure how a freeze all works. I just know they usually do that if women are at risk of OHSS / have high # of eggs retrieved.

#42 aryan225

aryan225
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 07:44 AM

Hi Ladies!

I've got a question for you. If all 20 eggs were fertilized, how come only 5 embryos were frozen? I'm doing my first IVF cycle end Apr/beg May, so I'm not to sure how a freeze all works. I just know they usually do that if women are at risk of OHSS / have high # of eggs retrieved.

Hi  Mamasita204!

So, out of the 20 fertilized eggs, right off the bat 7 didn't make it through the night, so we were left with 13.  They use a grading schedule to determine which are eligible to be able to be frozen.  So out of the 13 we only (I say only, 5 is a great number according to doctors and nurses), 5 were at "grade" to be frozen.  We had 3 of the best embryos and 2 of a little less quality.  It all depends on how they are growing.  If we had none that were eligible to be frozen, they would have tried a transfer with close monitoring of me, but because we had 5 eligible, we decided the best route was to just freeze all, let my body calm down and try again in 2 cycles.  I can't remember exactly what the grading schedule is, but your doctor goes through it with you and explains it all!  I hope this helped!

xo