Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Thrown off course


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Clover83

Clover83
  • Member
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

I found out yesterday at my day three ultrasound that I have two large cysts on my ovaries and therefore we cannot proceed with meds and our IUI this month. It was such a slap in the face. I know this happens but as usual we never think it will happen to us. This would have been our fourth IUI and second one with injectables. After this month off my husband wants to try another IUI (for different reasons - its more natural in his mind, easier on my body, cheaper) but I want to move into IVF. Any advice? I don't think emotionally I can handle another treatment where I know the success rate is so low.

#2 ndo_inwaiting

ndo_inwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 158 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Prev RFP now VFC:)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hi Clover-

I had cysts (hormonal active) on an Ivf cycle and had to cancel. It totally sucks. I think it put me out about two months. I was able to proceed before cysts were totally gone- they were small and not producing hormones any longer. That Ivf cycle was the one that produced the only embryo resulting in a live birth for us (subsequent frozen transfer) in 6 years of Ivf treatment.

As far as your decision re Ivf/iui, I'd say that some important factors to consider would be:
- your doctors advice re chances with iui vs Ivf
- your age (if older going to Ivf faster)
-your level of stress/grief at this point (moving to Ivf faster if this may shorten journey but you are in decent enough place to take on challenge of Ivf
-your financial means considering Ivf much more expensive

We were never candidates for iui- but I have a sense that it's a really hard decision re how long to go on with iui before moving to Ivf. I hope that your cysts resolve soon and that you and your hubby can come to a decision that feels right for you guys.