#1 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Tcart/Trio

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hi Ladies, 

I'm doing a freeze all IVF cycle and wondering when AF comes after retrieval and the stopping of meds?

#2 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4,263 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Came after 5 days for me.
See "About Me" for details. All treatments failed. Not sure where to go from here.

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,682 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

Mine came about two weeks after ER for both ERs.

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#4 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

My RE, at TRIO at the time, still recommended a week of progesterone after ER during a freeze all. I was hesitant to do this but it helped normalize my hormones after the sky high estrogen. My AF came 4 days after I stopped the progesterone.

In contrast, I did nothing after a cancelled FET after 15 days of estrogen and my cycle went to 50 days (longest I'd ever had before that was 29) I also had terrible hormone withdrawal (crying, hot flashes) as my estrogen came down. So if they offer progesterone after to normalize your cycle, I would consider taking it. I've read of other women doing freeze alls that did not take progesterone and also had the crazy hormone withdrawal.

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

It is interesting how different women react differently. My body tends to have a very strong control of hormones and I don't get all these hormonal symptoms (I am so happy about this). My first IVF I did the 10 days of progesterone and for my second I did nothing, and both times I got my period after about two weeks.

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#6 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

It is interesting how different women react differently. My body tends to have a very strong control of hormones and I don't get all these hormonal symptoms (I am so happy about this). My first IVF I did the 10 days of progesterone and for my second I did nothing, and both times I got my period after about two weeks.

I think it really depends how high your estrogen gets. I talked to my naturopath and she said hormone withdrawal is more severe than menopause in terms of symptoms. For both IVF and FET protocols I've had lots of symptoms that my estrogen was very high. During IVF my E2 was probably over 10,000 as I was over 9,000 on my final blood draw two days before ER and I had 26 visible follicles, 13 mature eggs retrieved. 

Do you know what your E2 levels were before ER? I am curious if it really is a bodies control over the hormones or if it is purely based on estrogen levels. Or, everyone just having different reactions to estrogen. I've been working on my estrogen receptors due to my lining issues and wonder if maybe previously there was just too much of it in my blood stream. 

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

No I don't know what my levels were, but you make a good point. I would assume that my levels were lower as I produced a lot fewer follicles. Perhaps it's a bit of both? Levels and different reactions to the medications? I know you have struggled a lot. It was actually my biggest fear of how I would be emotionally before we started, and it ended up really being nothing to worry about for me.

#8 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4,263 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

I only had 7 follicles that cycle, if I recall correctly. Mine came relatively quickly.
See "About Me" for details. All treatments failed. Not sure where to go from here.

#9 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

@returnable - I never felt great on BCPs either and so really enjoyed my decade on the mirena IUD. Very light periods and no PMS. So you're right, it could be a bit of both. 

I've switched to patches with only 2 x 2mg on the estrace for this FET cycle and definitely not feeling as emotional. But it is still early days. Of course I'm heading west to see family for a week and my partner pointed out that I might need to take a few deep breaths while there and continue with my meditation app. Not sure high estrogen and being around my family (who mostly don't know about my IVF) will be winning combo.

@ilovemydogs - So maybe there is a correlation? It would make sense that it takes longer for AF to arrive if your estrogen is higher, and estrogen is higher if you have more mature follicles. Although I thought I read a few stories of women with less than 10 follicles getting OHSS (which is from high estrogen?) so who knows how it all works together. There are probably numerous factors. 

#10 StarSapphire

StarSapphire
  • Global 100+
  • 179 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Mine came five days after the retrieval and my estrogen was sky-high - 28,000 the last time they tested it. It felt like my body just went "WHAT the heck was that?" (it was a really heavy period, too) and I also broke out in a billion tiny zits all over my face and chest. It's interesting to read the different experiences for when it arrived/estrogen levels etc! I'd wondered if there was a correlation, too.

Me: 33 Husband: 43

TTC since November 2011

8 cycles of Clomid, one Femara

3 IUIs (also Clomid)

IVF #1 - November 2015

60 follicles, 19 eggs retrieved/14 mature/11 fertilized

Freeze all to avoid OHSS

FET #1 Jan/Feb 2016 - thawed 6, transferred 1 day 5 blast, 3 day 6-7 blasts frozen - BFN

FET #2 July 2016 - thawed last 5, transferred two early day 5 blasts, 2 day 6 blasts frozen - BFP

19/08/16 - u/s with heartbeat! :D

My IF blog: Cake It So

#11 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Mine came five days after the retrieval and my estrogen was sky-high - 28,000 the last time they tested it. It felt like my body just went "WHAT the heck was that?" (it was a really heavy period, too) and I also broke out in a billion tiny zits all over my face and chest. It's interesting to read the different experiences for when it arrived/estrogen levels etc! I'd wondered if there was a correlation, too.

Awesome! This totally disproves my theory. Love it! Everyone's body does their own thing. I guess this is why you can have two women with the same diagnosis, age, etc. have drastically different cycles on the same meds.

I also got the tiny zits! Mostly on my chest and shoulders. They've gotten way better but I think my attempted FET in October got them going again. 

#12 Elizabeth22

Elizabeth22
  • Global 100+
  • 501 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Just to add to the discussion about progesterone after a freeze all, I was told that it also helps to prevent cysts.

#13 StarSapphire

StarSapphire
  • Global 100+
  • 179 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

Awesome! This totally disproves my theory. Love it! Everyone's body does their own thing. I guess this is why you can have two women with the same diagnosis, age, etc. have drastically different cycles on the same meds.

I also got the tiny zits! Mostly on my chest and shoulders. They've gotten way better but I think my attempted FET in October got them going again. 

Oh haha, I'm sorry, I wasn't planning on coming in with dissenting info! I'm actually relieved to hear someone else had that thing with the tiny zits because it was really weird and I haven't talked to anyone else that had it! They were mostly on my chest too but a few on my face! So bizarre.

Me: 33 Husband: 43

TTC since November 2011

8 cycles of Clomid, one Femara

3 IUIs (also Clomid)

IVF #1 - November 2015

60 follicles, 19 eggs retrieved/14 mature/11 fertilized

Freeze all to avoid OHSS

FET #1 Jan/Feb 2016 - thawed 6, transferred 1 day 5 blast, 3 day 6-7 blasts frozen - BFN

FET #2 July 2016 - thawed last 5, transferred two early day 5 blasts, 2 day 6 blasts frozen - BFP

19/08/16 - u/s with heartbeat! :D

My IF blog: Cake It So