Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on amounts of embryos to transfer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lcg2016

Lcg2016
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Hopefully starting the process in April at VFC. I'm 36. Based on my age, I've read that it's recommended to transfer at least 2 embryos. I'm wondering what others have been recommended to transfer when you're between the ages of 35-40. 

Love to hear other thoughts or experiences!

Thanks!

#2 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 278 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hi there -

I think age is only one factor to consider. We also looked at the quality of the embryos, day 3 vs day 5, any underlying conditions affecting our infertility, and whether we had previously tried IVF.  Our doctor strongly recommended only transferring one embryo in our case (me 36, first IVF, unexplained infertility, good quality day 5 emby) and we went with her recommendation. (We wouldn't have minded twins, but were also very conscious of the potential health risks to both the babies and me, if we transferred two and they both stuck.)

• ENF likes this

#3 Lcg2016

Lcg2016
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, yaenaSK!! Well I'm interested to see what my Dr will recommend to us! Congrats to you!! You must be excited! Was this your first cycle too?

#4 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 278 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Thanks! Yes, it was our first IVF - we feel incredibly, crazy lucky.

That was basically our final decision - to go with what the doctor recommended. We trusted her, and felt like her decision would be the best for us. (In our case, she didn't make a final decision on how many we should transfer until the day of - so we really felt like she was waiting to weigh out all of the factors.)

#5 Hope4evr

Hope4evr
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi yaenaSK..

I just want to ask something about the day 5 transfer. I've done my egg retrieval last friday. 5 eggs retrieved but one immature. Then they updated us saturday that only 3 made it. She said that we'll be doing a day 5 transfer. Is it recommended? My doctor said that only 1 embryo will be transferred because of age.

#6 Harlo17

Harlo17
  • 22 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

If I were you I would do PGS and then transfer 1 normal PGS blast.

Me 29 Hubby 32

TTC Since October 2013

1 natural conception miscarriage Nov 2014 at 10 weeks 8388.gif

3 IUI's -  th_abfn.gif

3 IVF Retrievals

1 Fresh Transfer th_abfn.gif

1 Frozen Transfer th_abfp.gif Finally success with a Frozen Mosaic Embryo! Due May 2017 babyboy.gif

#7 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi LCG - at 36 my clinic recommended 2 although that was 3 years ago. Both embryos did stick however resulting in boy girl twins. I know there are a lot of health risks and there is no doubt that twins are an epic challenge as infants compared to a singleton but zero regrets and cant imagine life any other way.
  • lumnay likes this

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/c@9weeks th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.