April 2017 IVF Buddies
Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:56 PM
I don't know how other people are medicated for FETs. I'm on estrace now and then closer to transfer I start on prometrium again. I'd love to be able to do unmedicated, but my understanding is that the monitoring is really frequent and I live 2.5 hours away from my clinic.
ME: 33, Him: 34 TTC since May 2014
incomplete mc July 2014
chemical preg Nov 2014
surgical reduction of uterine septum & intrauterine scar tissue Feb 2015
BFP April 2015
CVS at 12 weeks = inconclusive, amnio at 16 weeks = dx'd with osteogenesis imperfecta
Pregnancy ended Aug 28, 2015 via induction at 20 weeks. (Beautiful boy)
Referral to Mount Sinai for PGD/PGS Nov 2015
IVF#1 - June 2016 - antagonist protocol
27 eggs retrieved, 18 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 day 6 blasts. 1 healthy embryo.
FET - BFN
Accidental pregnancy Aug 2016. CVS = osteogenesis imperfecta. TA via D&E at 14 weeks. Another boy.
IVF#2 - March 2017. 11 eggs, 8 fertilized, 2 day 6 blasts. Frozen.
IVF#3 - April 2017... ongoing
Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:00 PM
They retrieved 7 eggs. I was hoping to have more since I had 16 large follicles, but as long as they fertilize and make it to day 5, I will be happy.
- River00 likes this
Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:24 PM
Tarsette - I am so friggin happy for you! That's such a huge relief, and a major hurdle crossed. Hope you can start to relax and enjoy being pregnant now!
Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:56 PM
Thanks Violetta, yes it was a huge relief. I'm not quite done worrying yet (it's that classic "if i stop worrying something will go wrong" feeeling) but the levels of worry have definitely decreased What about you? How are you doing? When is your next ultrasound?
Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:45 PM
Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:07 PM
Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:35 PM
So call today said only 1 embryo divided. Hopefully the other 2 catch up. I have to decide whether to freeze it day 3 or hope for it to continue to day 5. Need to wait one more day. Praying that at least one embryo makes it to tomorrow.
Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:02 PM
mamasita I'm so sorry you've had such disappointing results. There's no way you can do a fresh transfer? That's a difficult decision to make - freeze day 3 vs day 5. On one hand, growing to day 5 will give you a better chance of figuring out if the embryo(s) could result in a viable pregnancy. And that way if it's not meant to be, then you won't have to waste time or tears (not to mention money) on a frozen transfer that won't work out. On the other hand, you never know if they maybe would have made it from day 3 to day 5 if they were in your uterus. I've become pregnant from day 5, day 3 and day 2 transfers now. And (so far) the day 2 is the one that has stuck the longest. All the best over the next few days. If it helps, I think you're better off making these kinds of decisions emotionally rather than logically. The path of least regret and all that...big hugs!
Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:05 PM
Day 3 update: Embryologist said 2 of my 3 embies have divided well. 1 is an 8 cell, the other a 6 cell (3rd is only 2 cell). The 2 are grade2 quality which is good (on a 1-4 scale). I had to choose whether to let them go to day 5 or freeze both today.I choose to freeze them today. I'm feeling more hopeful that I at least get a chance of an FET. 😊
Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:19 AM
Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:12 AM
The other concern I have now is that I would like 2 children and if I get pregnant with this FET,then I will have to do another IVF round when I am 38/39 and may not have any good eggs left. Right now I'm 36 turning 37 soon.
Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:12 PM
And I think the way it works at my clinic is that you get a partial refund on your cycle if there is no transfer. I doubt it would be enough to entirely cover the cost of an FET though.
Hopefully you can discuss all your options soon with your RE.
Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:16 PM
How are you feeling? How many days pregnant are you now?
Tarsette- did you transfer 1 or 2 embryos?
Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:11 AM
Mamasita: I think you made the right decision to freeze at Day 3. When my Dr made me do a Day 3 transfer, I was really disappointed. I had gotten it into my head that Day 3 was bound to fail, because if the embryo wasn't goint to make it to Day 5 anyway, then why transfer it? But it ended up working so I have had to revise my judgment! Day 3 is probably just as good as Day 5! Ther emust be something to be said about it faring better when it is in your uterus rather than in a petri dish!
I had 2 Day 3's transferred. They both implanted, but the second one seems to have stopped growing quite quickly (never even saw a fetal pole and even on the very first ultrasound the sac looked grayish rather than black). I'm totally fine with that though, as having twins sounds a bit daunting! As long as No 1 keeps growing, i'm happy! I would definitely transfer both of your Day 3's when you do the FET (unless you feel strongly about not wanting twins). It will increase your chances of it working...
But I know what you mean about wanting more than one child. I am 37 and I would also like more than one. I still have some frozen eggs left (I had a retrieval and egg freeze done when I was 34 because my husband is 9 years younger than me and I could tell we weren't going to start having children immediately!), which I plan to use for child number 2. And if this pregnancy doesn't work out and I end up using these eggs for another IVF now, I will probably have another retrieval done, fertilize and freeze for later. The younger you are, the better it is for your eggs and I think 37 year old eggs will always be much better than 39 year old eggs... But this whole thing is super costly as well, so that can also be an issue...
Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:18 PM
mamasita - As far as I know I'm 6 days 6 weeks, just have a few more days to wait for my ultrasound. We should definitely see a heartbeat on this one, if there is one to be found. I'm actually having a fair bit of nausea these days, and I couldn't be more thankful! Still spotting though, which always worries me, but it's light.
Also, I agree with Tarsette. Basically, from the embryo's perspective, there is zero downside to putting a 3 day embryo back. It will do at least as good inside you, if not better.
Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:52 PM
Tarsette- I'm happy to hear that your day 3 embryo turned into a BFP. That gives me hope.
Thx for all of the support and advice ladies!