2 replies to this topic

#1 MomtotheBean

MomtotheBean
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

So apparently--if I'm understanding correctly--LHSC does NOT do the PGS/PGD screening onsite; instead you have to go to Mt. Sinai. I guess that would mean that the ER, testing/PGS, fertilization, and transfer would all be done by them? It makes sense to me that they would handle all the egg stuff as opposed to us just doing the testing there and then them sending the eggs back to LHSC if there isn't a genetic abnormality (?) I know that they've done this before but I'm just concerned about things getting held up or LHSC thinking that Mt. Sinai is doing one thing but Mt. Sinai thinks that LHSC is doing it, etc.

I've had three miscarriages in ten months so at this point we know it's not a gyno problem. Dr. HC thinks that it's more than likely a chromosomal issue. I'm brand new to IVF.  I'd be shocked if my husband was the problem as I've been told that his sperm tests showed "super sperm". I can get pregnant quickly--after my first and second miscarriage I was pregnant again by my second cycle after miscarrying while taking the drugs for IUI--it's just that the baby either doesn't show up and it's just the gestational sac, or it doesn't stick past week 8. 

Does anyone have any experience going through this and feedback on how the coordination between the two clinics worked? I quality for funding but I think by the time that we'd get to the top of the list, I'd be 35 and my egg supply wasn't great to begin with so at 32, my clock is already quickly winding down. We're just going to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket but I know that getting PGS raises the cost quite a bit.

Me: 32

DH: 33

January 2008: Diagnosed as having moderate endometriosis

February 2008: First lap

December 2008: Second lap (LUNA)

Summer 2009: Took Lurpon to trigger menopause in order to reset my periods. Only thing that happened was that I gained 60 lbs in three months after two shots

Fall 2010: Took Depo Provera to trigger menopause in order to reset my periods. Only thing that happened was that I gained 15 lbs in one month after one shot and developed cysts

Spring 2012: Took Visanne-MIRACLE DRUG that made me have normal periods

July 2013: Third lap in preparation of trying to conceive

February 2013: Natural conception

October 2013: Our family grows with the Bean's arrival

Spring 2015: Start to try for baby #2, but periods are all over the place

August 2015: Diagnosed with PCOS (average weight after losing almost all of it before conceiving son, and lost all but 6 lbs of my pregnancy weight) and put on Metformin

February 2016: First IUI cycle--successful conception while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

April 2016: Blighted ovum discovered at 8 week ultrasound, miscarried a week later

August 2016: BFP,  Conceived "naturally" while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

September 2016: Heard heartbeat at 6.5 and 7.5 weeks--no heartbeat at 8.5 weeks and miscarried two days later

January 2017: BFP, Conceived "naturally" while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

February 2 2017: Ultrasound reveals nothing beyond gestational sac

February 9, 2017: Blighted ovum confirmed

February 16, 2017: Miscarriage complete, referred to Mt. Sinai for PGS in preparation of IVF via LHSC

#2 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,524 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Have you spoken to a genetic counselor and had the full multiple miscarriage screening test done? 

From what I understand, PGS and PGD are for different things.

In either case, the way that it is done at most clinics is that your home clinic does the stimulation and monitoring, retrieval, fertilization through ICSI (to prevent contamination of other genetic information in the biopsy sample) and most will do the biopsy sample as well, and send the biopsy away to a genetics lab such as genesis or mt sinai, but all the while your actual embryo stays at your home clinic. Results get sent by fax or email and your home clinic does the transfer and pregnancy test/follow up. It is possible that they don't even do the biopsy, in which case, they might ask you to do the retrieval, fertilization and biopsy at mt sinai as well. I hope that makes sense.

Also, as a side note, the performance of a sperm sample says nothing about the genetics of what is happening inside. there are plenty of men with super sperm who carry a genetic abnormality. 

Wishing you much luck as you try to sort things out on your journey
:flowers:

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

#3 MomtotheBean

MomtotheBean
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Apparently this is the way that it works (for anyone in the same boat):

LHSC refers me to Mt. Sinai due to the need for screening

Mt.Sinai takes me on as a patient.  All procedures must be done through them for the cycle to be covered.  Because we want to do as much as we can at LHSC, LHSC becomes my satellite clinic and Mt. Sinai has to refer me back to LHSC for things like bloodwork and ultrasounds.  There is also a fee associated with doing things this way. (I have no idea what it is yet.)

We have our first appt with Dr. K. Liu on April 4th; luckily we don't have to go to TO for this and it can be done at a hospital here through something similar to Skype.

Me: 32

DH: 33

January 2008: Diagnosed as having moderate endometriosis

February 2008: First lap

December 2008: Second lap (LUNA)

Summer 2009: Took Lurpon to trigger menopause in order to reset my periods. Only thing that happened was that I gained 60 lbs in three months after two shots

Fall 2010: Took Depo Provera to trigger menopause in order to reset my periods. Only thing that happened was that I gained 15 lbs in one month after one shot and developed cysts

Spring 2012: Took Visanne-MIRACLE DRUG that made me have normal periods

July 2013: Third lap in preparation of trying to conceive

February 2013: Natural conception

October 2013: Our family grows with the Bean's arrival

Spring 2015: Start to try for baby #2, but periods are all over the place

August 2015: Diagnosed with PCOS (average weight after losing almost all of it before conceiving son, and lost all but 6 lbs of my pregnancy weight) and put on Metformin

February 2016: First IUI cycle--successful conception while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

April 2016: Blighted ovum discovered at 8 week ultrasound, miscarried a week later

August 2016: BFP,  Conceived "naturally" while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

September 2016: Heard heartbeat at 6.5 and 7.5 weeks--no heartbeat at 8.5 weeks and miscarried two days later

January 2017: BFP, Conceived "naturally" while taking Metformin, Letrozole, and Prometrium

February 2 2017: Ultrasound reveals nothing beyond gestational sac

February 9, 2017: Blighted ovum confirmed

February 16, 2017: Miscarriage complete, referred to Mt. Sinai for PGS in preparation of IVF via LHSC