3 replies to this topic

#1 Lisamarie0517

Lisamarie0517
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victory reproductive care

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hello everyone,
About a year ago my husband was diagnosed with congential bilaterial absence of the vas deferens. Yesterday our clinic preformed a PESA on him to try and retrieve sperm but it was unsuccessful. We are now being referred to a urologist in downtown toronto to preform a TESE or MESA. Does anyone have the same situation?? Has these procedures worked for you?

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Was the retrieval done by a urologist with experience in them? Are you now going to Mt Sinai?

Dr. Jarvi did our PESA and has a lot of experience. I've read other stories on here of him doing successful TESE as welll.

Good luck!

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#3 Lisamarie0517

Lisamarie0517
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:Victory reproductive care

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

The PESA was done by Dr. Rahi Victory. He is our fertility doctor. But now we are referred to Dr. Jarvi. I have heard good things so fingers crossed we get the results we are looking for!
Thank you for your help.

#4 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 127 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hey, so my husband also has CBAVD.  We had a PESA/TESE procedure done.  The PESA portion was unsuccessful as the urologist didn't tighten the syringe on the needle, however our TESE was successful.  Our clinic froze our TESE sample and apparently thawed well, but our IVF cycle didn't have any blastocysts by day 5 and all of them died off with no embryos to freeze.  Someone else has mentioned to me that their clinic wouldn't even use frozen TESE sperm, only fresh.  So I don't know we are in the process of consulting another clinic (VFC) and hope that we will have better results with them.  

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

IVF # 1 Oct/Nov 2016

Started bcp Sept 17/16 Last day of bcp Oct 23

CD 1 Oct 26

Began Injections (75 IU menopur, 75 IU Gonal F) Oct 28

Nov 1 first ultrasound 16 follicles (8 each side) measuring 4-8mm

Nov 3 Second ultrasound 16 follicles (8 each side) measuring 5-9mm (Gonal F increased to 112.5 IU) 

Nov 5 third ultrasound - follicles measuring 6-11 mm (Gonal F increased to 150 IU)

Nov 7 fourth ultrasound - one large follicle at 14mm, the rest 9mm and under, RE made decision to cancel cycle and try again later.  sad.png

DH's PESA/TESE procedure done Nov 10/16 - good sperm sample with good motility.  Sperm survived test freeze/thaw, 4 straws frozen and waiting for us to use with our next cycle.  

IVF #2 Dec '16/Jan '17

Started bcp Nov 27/16 Last day of bcp Dec 24

CD #1 and baseline US Dec 28

Began injections Dec 29 (75 IU Menopur, 200 IU Gonal F)

January 2 first Ultrasound 8 follicles on Rt approx 15 follicles on Lt measuring 5-9mm

January 3 began 250 mcg Cetrotide daily

January 4 second ultrasound at least 20 follicles between both ovaries measuring 9-13mm

Jan 6 ultrasound, lots of follicles measuring 10-15 mm

Jan 7 Ultrasound, lots of follicles, biggest being 19 mm several at 16-17mm and a bunch ranging from 12-15mm

Jan 7 at 9 PM trigger shot 

Jan 9 at 8 Am, egg retrieval!  We got 22 eggs!

Jan 10 fertilization report: 20 eggs mature and ICSI'd, 10 have fertilized!

Jan 12 - 7 embryo's still growing!

Jan 14 - Transfer day - all 7 of our embryos are at a pre-blast stage.  Transferred the best one

Jan 15 - found out our embryos arrested and had none to freeze

Jan 23 - Beta - Negative