4 replies to this topic

#1 Lisamarie0517

Lisamarie0517
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victory reproductive care

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hello everyone,
About a year ago my husband was diagnosed with congential bilaterial absence of the vas deferens. Yesterday our clinic preformed a PESA on him to try and retrieve sperm but it was unsuccessful. We are now being referred to a urologist in downtown toronto to preform a TESE or MESA. Does anyone have the same situation?? Has these procedures worked for you?

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Was the retrieval done by a urologist with experience in them? Are you now going to Mt Sinai?

Dr. Jarvi did our PESA and has a lot of experience. I've read other stories on here of him doing successful TESE as welll.

Good luck!

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#3 Lisamarie0517

Lisamarie0517
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:Victory reproductive care

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

The PESA was done by Dr. Rahi Victory. He is our fertility doctor. But now we are referred to Dr. Jarvi. I have heard good things so fingers crossed we get the results we are looking for!
Thank you for your help.

#4 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hey, so my husband also has CBAVD.  We had a PESA/TESE procedure done.  The PESA portion was unsuccessful as the urologist didn't tighten the syringe on the needle, however our TESE was successful.  Our clinic froze our TESE sample and apparently thawed well, but our IVF cycle didn't have any blastocysts by day 5 and all of them died off with no embryos to freeze.  Someone else has mentioned to me that their clinic wouldn't even use frozen TESE sperm, only fresh.  So I don't know we are in the process of consulting another clinic (VFC) and hope that we will have better results with them.  

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a couple rounds of IVF without success, we are feeling discouraged and wonder if we should keep trying....

#5 Wriggler

Wriggler
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Reproductive Sciences Medical Center

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

My hubby has TESA procedure done prior to our ER almost a week ago. It was a success and he had minimal discomfort post procedure. Good luck! x