2 replies to this topic

#1 MamaBean

MamaBean
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:ICRM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

I just finished my first cycle of IVF. I suffered from severe OHSS without hospitalization being required. I conceived with twins during this cycle and am officially 10weeks pregnant. I didn't have nausea and was able to stay hydrated, but did have a 35# generalized weight gain (ascities, extremity swelling and pleural effusion requiring drainage) and very large ovaries and multiple large cysts. I was out of commission for over a month. The fluid retention has resolved for more than 2 weeks. However, my liver enzymes became elevated about half way through the OHSS. They peaked a week later and have stayed at this level (about 5x normal) since. I'm experiencing severe pain intermittently, general exhaustion, and Occasional diarrhea. My fertility doc said it's unusual for the enzymes to be this elevated and for this long and has referred me to my general practitioner. Ultrasound showed nothing abnormal with with liver, gallbladder or pancreas and I'm negative for all hepatitis. My general practitioner thinks it's residual from the ohss, even though my fertility doctor says no. Has anyone experiences this or have any thoughts on the matter? If the pain was gone I wouldn't be as worried, but I'm pretty miserable. Oh and no foods make it worse or better, I've cut out most saturated fats and processed food with no change.

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

I have no experience but this sounds so scary :( I hope you get answers and relief soon!

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

Sorry to hear you have been through all this.

Without knowing the pertinent details it is best to follow up with your GP and perhaps if things persist  for a while you should see a gastroenterologist/hepatologist

• mouse likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OHSS, LIVER