#1 Hopefulrealist

Hopefulrealist
  • Global 100+
  • 574 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hello all,

I just had a WTF appointment with my RE to discuss my FET failure. He is suggesting we could consider doing an ERA (and a medicated protocol) to see if my "window of implantation" was off. 

The other option is to try another protocol and he still heavily supports using a Matris test (even though we did this and I had an excellent score and lining). 

The other possibility is that the embryo just stalled out. It was 2AA (which he says is good) and one of our 2 that were PGS normal. 

The other option I have is to try a different protocol and forgo the ERA assay completely. I am torn!!

Any experience would be great.

Thanks!

Me- 32 33, DH - 33 34

2 Failed IUIs (2015). 1 Failed IVF (April 2016). IVF#2- Sept 2016 (Freeze all). FET#1 Jan 2017 - BFN.

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 516 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

I did a mock cycle and then the biopsy for the ERA test. I was pre-receptive according to the test. Did the suggested protocol and still did not get pregnant. It did not work for me. Also, it cost me 1100 dollars. This is my fourth negative FET. It seems that RE's are now more frequently suggesting this in hopes that it could offer a solution. I know some have had success with it, unfortunately I was not. I also know that it is a fairly new test and opinions vary on the success rates. Sorry I could not be more help.

#3 Vicchick33

Vicchick33
  • Global 100+
  • 215 posts
  • My Clinic:tcart

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hopefulrealist- sorry your transfer didn't work. I did a mock cycle with biopsy in August. Told I was pre receptive and did a medicated transfer in October with transfer on day 8 of progesterone with no luck.

Tomorrow I am having a transfer on day 7 of progesterone. This time we tried the long FET Protocol with lupron and progesterone injections, SO we'LOL see if it works!

I know how hard it is to make these decisions. I had a second opinion before starting this protocol and the other doctor suggested a non medicated cycle. But I just wasn't comfortable with that.

Good luck making a decision!
Me 39, DH 44IVF #1 - April 7/16 - egg retrieval. 4 eggs retrieved. 3 fertilized2 embryos transfered April 12/16 - None to freeze 😞Beta April 26 - BFN IVF #2 - June 2016 - here we go again! ER June 1/16 - 9 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. ET June 6/16 - 1 transfered, 2 frozenJune 20/16 - BFN 😓Biopsy results - sept 18/16 -determined I need two extra days of progesterone. FET of one 4AA hatching embryo October 31 2016 - BFN. Jan 2017 - FET with last remaining embryo. Long FET protocol. Transferred on 4AA embryo on Feb 2/17 - BFN

#4 Hopefulrealist

Hopefulrealist
  • Global 100+
  • 574 posts
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Thanks ladies.

I decided to do the ERA because he said that he did not want me to "waste" my last embryo without trying to make sure we tried everything. My only other concern is that it's going to take awhile to get the results and due to work and vacations I won't be able to try again until June...it's frustrating but I guess we will try it and see if it brings us success.

I think while I'm waiting I will also get consults from some other clinics in case this last embryo fails and we have to try again.

Me- 32 33, DH - 33 34

2 Failed IUIs (2015). 1 Failed IVF (April 2016). IVF#2- Sept 2016 (Freeze all). FET#1 Jan 2017 - BFN.

#5 HFLO

HFLO
  • Global 100+
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hopefulrealist: I've heard lots of stories where women have done only one test and then tried to adjust their protocols with that one result. My doc is like yours and didn't want me to waste my precious embryos, I only have 2 PGS normals after 3 banking cycles. So we did ERA multiple times until I got the receptive result. We finally got a receptive result showing that in order to achieve my implantation window I require 7 days of PIO where most women need 5 days. You might get lucky on the first test, but just know you might have to do more than one mock cycle ERA combo to get definitive results. The hardest part is having to put off the real transfer, not to mention taking meds and injections knowing there won't be a baby at the end of the mock cycle. But we felt like we needed to try and improve our odds. I'm 40 now and I've been through so many cycles since 2012 (I had a different doc for the first part), I don't know if my body could do another fresh IVF cycle. Sorry for the long post, I'm going to be doing my first transfer with this doctor on Tuesday. We'll be transferring one of the PGS normal embryos. I followed the exact med protocol that I did for the ERA, and started PIO on Feb 1st to align with the receptive result. Hopefully it will be worth the waiting and I can update with a success story soon.
Good luck to you!
  • Bebe1114 likes this

DH: 39 - MF, low motility, low count

Me: 40 - lining issues, hx of polyps and fibroids

TTC since 2008.

Started IVF journey in 2012, 3 fresh cycles and 3 FET attempts with first RE resulted in 3 BFNs and 3 cancelled transfers. No BFPs, no chemicals, never even seen a double line on HPT. cry.gif

Changed REs in 2015.  Repeated all tests and decided to bank embryos for PGS testing due to history of BFNs.  After 3 cycles and PGS testing - finally achieved 2 PGS normal embryos. banana.gifbanana.gif RE suggested ERA testing to determine implantation window. Mock cycle in May 2016 and July 2016, receptive results showing that 7 days of progesterone support required.

FET attempt #1 with new RE - Sept 2016: cancelled due to pharmacy med mixup th_agrr.gif

FET attempt #2 with new RE - Nov 2016: cancelled again - lining not trilaminar eusa_wall.gif

FET #3 with new RE - Feb 2017 eusa_pray.gif - suppression check and removed nuvaring on Jan 12th.  To start delestrogen injections Jan 16th. Final lining check on Feb 1st - got the green light to transfer finally!!yahoo.gif Feb 7th transferred one 5bb euploid embryo, beta scheduled for Feb 21st. eusa_pray.gif Symptoms: strong sense of smell, very tired, tugging/pulling/small cramps, sore breasts, and heartburn. Caved and POAS at 4.5dpt and saw 2 lines for the very first time in my life, POAS every day until second line was darker than control! th_acheerlead.gif. Asked clinic to move up beta.  First beta 9dp5dt=110; Second beta 11dp5dt=269; Third beta 13dp5dt=685. Ultrasound scheduled for March 3rd eusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gif

#6 Bebe1114

Bebe1114
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:FCI

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hello, I just want to share my experience with ERA test. It came back as pre-receptive so they recommended adding one more day of progesterone. I did FET the following month on day 6 and it came back as BFN.:(( I spoke with genetic counselor who did my ERA test and she said 90% of the case, their recommendation is correct. My re still wants me to do another era just to confirm that it is day 6 before another FET. Don't want to waste money and time if it is 90% accurate. Anyone who did 2 era tests and got the receptive second time?

#7 Bebe1114

Bebe1114
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:FCI

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Did you get your results? What was your first recommendation? Day 6 or 7?

#8 HFLO

HFLO
  • Global 100+
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

Bebe: are your embryos PGS tested? I got a receptive result showing that I require 7 days of PIO to achieve my receptive implantation window.  I transferred on Feb 7th and got my first ever BFP.  First ultrasound is scheduled for March 3rd so it is still very early and I'm too nervous to count myself as a success story yet, but this is the farthest I've ever made it. I think both PGS and ERA combined are a good option for anyone like myself who has had multiple BFNs. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

DH: 39 - MF, low motility, low count

Me: 40 - lining issues, hx of polyps and fibroids

TTC since 2008.

Started IVF journey in 2012, 3 fresh cycles and 3 FET attempts with first RE resulted in 3 BFNs and 3 cancelled transfers. No BFPs, no chemicals, never even seen a double line on HPT. cry.gif

Changed REs in 2015.  Repeated all tests and decided to bank embryos for PGS testing due to history of BFNs.  After 3 cycles and PGS testing - finally achieved 2 PGS normal embryos. banana.gifbanana.gif RE suggested ERA testing to determine implantation window. Mock cycle in May 2016 and July 2016, receptive results showing that 7 days of progesterone support required.

FET attempt #1 with new RE - Sept 2016: cancelled due to pharmacy med mixup th_agrr.gif

FET attempt #2 with new RE - Nov 2016: cancelled again - lining not trilaminar eusa_wall.gif

FET #3 with new RE - Feb 2017 eusa_pray.gif - suppression check and removed nuvaring on Jan 12th.  To start delestrogen injections Jan 16th. Final lining check on Feb 1st - got the green light to transfer finally!!yahoo.gif Feb 7th transferred one 5bb euploid embryo, beta scheduled for Feb 21st. eusa_pray.gif Symptoms: strong sense of smell, very tired, tugging/pulling/small cramps, sore breasts, and heartburn. Caved and POAS at 4.5dpt and saw 2 lines for the very first time in my life, POAS every day until second line was darker than control! th_acheerlead.gif. Asked clinic to move up beta.  First beta 9dp5dt=110; Second beta 11dp5dt=269; Third beta 13dp5dt=685. Ultrasound scheduled for March 3rd eusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gif

#9 Mary311

Mary311
  • 8 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

What is ERA?

#10 begin.again

begin.again
  • 56 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

What is ERA?

http://www.igenomix....ivity-test-era/

#11 janny82

janny82
  • 1000+
  • 1,338 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/VFC

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

I just wanted to chime in. I have had multiple failed transfers and an unexplained diagnosis. I believe it was after the 5th failed transfer that my RE suggested doing ERA. We did the testing with a medicated cycle as my natural cycles can be unpredictable. I showed pre-receptive on the first biopsy, then tested receptive on the second biopsy on the 7th day of progesterone. I figured that would be our ticket to a pregnancy but 3 more transfers later (the last being a PGS normal hatching blast) and still only negatives on beta day. I consulted an RE in the US and did immune testing- which was also negative. His only suggestion was try to get my lining up to 9mm as for some reason the last few transfers we couldn't get it quite up to 8mm despite high doses of estrace.
Anyhow, my RE opted for a superovulation "natural" cycle using letrozole to hopefully make me ovulate on time. My lining was 9mm on day 13 and positive surge on day 14. I was put on very high doses of progesterone (4 endometrin a day plus a PIO injection every third day) and we transferred our last PGS normal blast on day 5 of progesterone (as ERA is only useful if you are following the same conditions as the mock cycles). Anyways, 5dp5dt of our ninth and final transfer I got a positive HPT. The only one we have ever gotten in almost 5 years of treatments. I have no idea if this is a viable pregnancy yet (beta is tomorrow) but I wanted to say that ERA doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Sometimes it takes trying a new approach (all of our previous FET's had been medicated). Hopefully this helps someone.
  • mountainchick and Curlylox like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FET failure, PGS, Endometrial Receptivity