12 replies to this topic

#1 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Above fertility

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi everyone,

So I miscarried with a blighted ovum Sept 17 at 5 weeks. It is now October 9, and no sign of period nor no symptoms. Could I be Pregnant even though I have no symptoms?

Help please, I'm to nervous to take a pregnancy test of the fear of it being a BFN.

#2 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 390 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Prev: Trio / Current: Hannam

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

I miscarried at 7 weeks and it took about 6 weeks to get next AF. Anything is possible, but most likely your body is still recovering. 

#3 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Bc I didn't miscarry naturally, doctor had given me 2 pills in which I had to insert vaginally and he had said I should get my period shortly after HCG levels being 0. Not sure if that changes anything.

#4 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

my HCG took about 6 weeks to get to zero.  i had it tested every week to know.  have you been getting your HCG tested? 

#5 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

also, if your HCG is NOT yet below zero and your take a HPT it may show as pregnant, but it will only be from the remaining HCG

#6 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Yes and I've been at 0 since September 25.

#7 jtstan

jtstan
  • 69 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hey Melanie....unfortunately if your blood hcg is at zero it means you're not currently pregnant....whether it's in relation to the blighted ovum or not. If there is no hcg in your system it would mean that also a hpt would also show a negative. I don't think you would necessarily get a period after you had just completed the miscarriage and your blood hcg level has returned back to zero as your body would have nothing to bleed out (no lining development etc), but I think that once it reaches zero your body can begin the process of ovulating and getting regular periods again.
  • ENF likes this

#8 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

After it was confirmed I had a blighted ovum, and after all the bleeding from miscarriage ended, doctor had me coming in every week to test my HCG . The same day I miscarried my hcg was at 500 week late at 44 Nd then was at 0. This was 3 weeks ago, I have read it it possible I have ovulated and pregnant. I haven't tested yet at home. I emailed the doctor to notify I haven't gotten my period yet and he seemed "concerned and asked me to come in for blood work and ultrasound. I have read that after your HCG levels reach 5...you should get your period 2-3 days after. I was only 5 weeks along when I had miscarried. It took 2 weeks for my HCG to get to 0.

#9 jtstan

jtstan
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Oh I see.... I had thought you meant that you have had your blood hcg tested just recently (within the last day or two) and it was zero.... if it was tested to be zero three weeks ago and not tested since then sure anything is possible! It is my understanding that a new cycle can't begin until the hcg basically leaves your system from the misscarriage and if that was three weeks ago you most certainly could have ovulated although for the average woman that takes about two weeks to happen in and of itself. I think going in for bloodwork and ultrasound is a great idea so then you can get a definitive answer or at least a sense of where you are in your cycle... best of luck!

#10 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Yes I didn't explain it properly. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it came back negative...im going in for an ultrasound and blood work on saturday so well see what's going on. Is it too early to test? Is that why it was negative?

#11 Hopefulrealist

Hopefulrealist
  • Global 100+
  • 885 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Melanie it is also possible that your cycle will not be normal for a few months after a miscarriage. It does not mean that you are pregnant in most cases unfortunately. I believe it just takes your body a bit to reset and start ovulating again, it is not uncommon for it to take 1-2 months unfortunately. Best of luck on Saturday.

Me- 32 33 34, DH - 33 34.35.Two Failed IUIs (2015). IVF#1 - BFN. IVF#2- Sept 2016 (Freeze all/PGS). FET#1 Jan 2017 - BFN. FET#2 July 2017 - BFP. 

#12 Melanie.d

Melanie.d
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Yes, it's probably that. Just thinking the best bc we've wanted this for so long, plus the doctor was so convinced that i'd get it a couple of days after hitting 0 HCG. But we'll see Saturday! Still praying for the best!

#13 jtstan

jtstan
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hi Melanie....I second what Hopefulrealist said.  I would think the bare minimum amount of time before any hcg from a new pregnancy to show up in your system and turn a pregnancy test positive would be roughly a month from when your hcg levels from the miscarriage have left your system (around 2 weeks to ovulate and build up a lining, then another 2 weeks for an embryo to implant and start secreting hcg)...and that would only be IF your body kicked back into ovulating right away, which for many can take a bit to start happening again.  I'm sorry that your doctor got your hopes up with telling you that you'd get a period when your HCG levels hit zero....logically I just don't really know how that would necessarily happen with a very early failed pregnancy, as when you medically induce a miscarriage to pass using the Misoprostol pills you would have just bled out everything (lining, gestational sac etc) a week or two earlier so I don't know what your body would have left. Also, how did your doctor diagnose a blighted ovum at 5 weeks?  Was it because your beta hcg levels weren't rising appropriately?  Or did the gestational sac stop growing at 5 weeks even though you should have been farther along?  Best of luck on Saturday!  Hope you get some answers...keep us updated!

• CdnHockeyGal likes this