Egg Donors; how many times can they donate? Is it legally regulated - Ask The Fertility Lawyer - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

Egg Donors; how many times can they donate? Is it legally regulated

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArtDealer1981

ArtDealer1981
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

I'm looking for American Society for Reproductive Medicine guidelines; can a donor at an agency donate more than 6 times?  Is it federally regulated, or enforced, or just a guideline?

Ive heard it's said they are not allowed to donate more than 6 times in the USA in their lifetime.

I am going thru an issue in which I was almost going to pay a donor $31,500 USD for her donor fee and she was 33, I would have been the recipient of her EIGHTH donation, 7 of which she was with the same agency who was really pushing her as the best. I believe this to be very unethical!

Thank you!

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hi Sophia,

This is a Canadian website and while we have a few members who are US based you'll find the content predominately Canadian. I'd suggest you reach out directly to ASRM for accurate information.
  • gibasgirl and SecondAct like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 CalgaryEggDonor

CalgaryEggDonor
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I'm a proven egg donor located in Calgary, but, happy to travel. I consider myself to be active, adventurous, genuine, and a kind person. I have blue eyes, and I'm 5'6.5 and 135 pounds. Some of my interests include snowboarding, reading, DIY projects and camping.

Feel free to ask away! I am happy to help answer any questions regarding the donor process in Canada or potentially become your donor:)

I have donated three times:
    1st: Jan/16, Royal Alex, Edmonton AB, 19 eggs retrieved
    2nd: July/16, VFC, Victoria BC, 15 eggs
    3rd: Jan/17, VFC, Victoria BC, 24 eggs
    4th: Nov/19, Repromed, Toronto ON, 34 eggs
    5th: Feb/22, Grace Fertility, Vancouver BC, 22 eggs

SIX egg babies are out there as a result of my help <3
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

I am a Canadian donor myself and am apart of many online support groups of donors only and this question comes up a lot due to having many Americans in the group. The 6 max guideline has recently been removed (in the last 2-4 yrs) and now a donor is allowed to donate as many times as they see fit. Some agencies wont allow a donor to donate after x amount of times but, many do not care. You can search the ASRM's website I know I went and looked for the change myself and found it awhile ago since I am researching donating in the US.