Photo
- - - - -

FET - transferring 2 embryos vs. 1? Increases or cuts the chance of pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alicja

Alicja
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Bourn Hall

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hello.

I have a question in regards to your thoughts on FET - transferring TWO embryos vs. one. I'm preparing for another FET.

Recently my friends forwarded an article to me, which said the recent study showed that '...Using TWO embryos for IVF could cut the chance of having a baby by 25% because the womb may reject them if one is of poor quality' - a study of almost 1500 embryos was carried out at Nurture Fertility clinic in Nottingham.

From my own experience: in 2014 - FET, I had 2 embryos transferred  - none of them implanted.

2016 - again, FET - 2 embryos transferred - none of them implanted (thankfully, we have a wonderful 1-year old son from the same fresh cycle).

This year we'll be undergoing another FET (still have 3 frozen embryos left) and was thinking about transferring 2 of them. But after reading about this study, I'm contemplating having just 1 transferred (since we already failed twice, after 2-embryo transfers).

What are your thoughts, which approach is more effective, based on your experience? I will be 39 at the time of my next FET.

Thank you for your help.

#2 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 561 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Firstly I am no doctor...but thought I'd share my opinion.
In Quebec when they started the government program ( that is now been cut) one of the rules was they had to transfer one embryo ( except for special circumstances). My RE said that the pregnancy rates went up after this. Many people seem to think if one embryo is good and other is so so just throw it in and it can't hurt. But instead that it can actually work the opposite and decrease chances with the good embryo. I was given the option with my last transfer and decided just to put in the good one. Ended up working for us as I now have a beautiful 18 month old daughter.
However there are many thoughts on this, and nothing to my knowledge is clear cut in either direction. I'm sure a lot depends on each doctors preference and comfort level.
Good luck!
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#3 Murried

Murried
  • Global 100+
  • 191 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Alija - Was your son a single embryo transfer?

I read the same article, and I think if the embryos are of the same quality then you could transfer two, but if they are of two different qualities, 1 poor and 1 good, then you may want to consider transferring 1. I recently transferred 1 and it still didn't take, so who knows, its all up to chance no matter what you do. Until I read that article I would (under other circumstances) have transferred two, although I am under the Ontario funding and it has restrictions to only transfer 1 at a time. 

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sticky thoughts.

• Alicja likes this

TTC since January 2013

July 2016 - IVF Cycle, Antagonist Protocol. 125 gonal F

15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 8 fertilized, Freeze all due to OHSS - 4, day 5 frosties

Sept 2016 - Mock Cycle 

Oct. 2016 -  Mock Cycle, repeat for P4 levels

Natural Cycle FET #1 - Dec. 17th 2016 -BFN

Natural Cycle FET #2 - March 

#4 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 131 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

i dont know !! i had two embryos both same quality.. transferred both and i have a single pregnancy!! so why didnt the other embryo implant? i dont know if this is changing due to fresh cycle or not but i would imagine that it makes no difference between them.

#5 Alicja

Alicja
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Bourn Hall

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for replying. Murried, to answer your question, yes, my son was a single embryo transfer (fresh cycle).

As for good embryos/poor embryos issue, I've been told by 1 of the embryologists at my clinic (Bourn Hall, Cambridge) that they only freeze decent quality embryos, the embryos that they'd be happy to transfer. So, to be honest, I don't even know what constitutes a poor quality embryo :-/  I wish I knew... All I know is that my remaining 3 embryos are the following grades: 4BB, 3AB, 3BB (the ones transferred last time were: 5BB, 6BC).

Anyway, I'm almost certain that with my next FET (end of March) I will decide on a single embryo this time :-)

• Murried likes this

#6 Murried

Murried
  • Global 100+
  • 191 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

It's true, they only freeze good quality embryos and you just never know. Someone can transfer a perfect 4AA blast and it doesn't take, and then someone will transfer a 3BC and it will. What works for one may not work for another, the reality is we're all different and no one knows what happens after the time of transfer for it to be successful. 

I was asking if your son was a single embryo transfer because it was successful. I'm glad you've made a decision. Best of luck to you. 

TTC since January 2013

July 2016 - IVF Cycle, Antagonist Protocol. 125 gonal F

15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 8 fertilized, Freeze all due to OHSS - 4, day 5 frosties

Sept 2016 - Mock Cycle 

Oct. 2016 -  Mock Cycle, repeat for P4 levels

Natural Cycle FET #1 - Dec. 17th 2016 -BFN

Natural Cycle FET #2 - March 

#7 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 29 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

I feel as though this was the results of one study and it is premature to change the way we practice completely. While I understand the theory, many studies previously had suggested that transferring 2 embryos give a slightly higher pregnancy rate than single embryo transfer.

Transferring 2 embryos carries the risk of multiple pregnancy and the obstetrical complications that may accompany that, so it is important to consider that aspect as well. Speak with your RE to get their opinion about this study.

Best of luck.

• mouse likes this