No heartbeat detected at 11 week scan with PGS-embryo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyside2020

sunnyside2020
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

I am devastated. I went in for weekly scans as per my RE's protocols. Week 5, 6, 7, 8 ,9, 10. Everything was ok until I went in for the nuchal transparency test (week 11.5) 

No heartbeat was detected. Unbelievable. 

The baby stopped growing at 11 weeks, 1 day- they said and they don't know why.

I am 39 years old and transferred 1 PGS-tested embryo so obviously everybody was hopeful given everything was going ok for so awhile.

What could have happened? God's will? 

The doctor doesn't think it has anything to do with me being able to hold the baby. Also, I have a 4 year old that happened naturally.

We stopped the estrase and progesterone on Week 10 exactly.  Could it have something to do with that?

I am confused as to what happened. I also had bad luck with another PGS-tested embryo last year that split into 2. That didn't work either.

I have 1 more PGS-embryo frozen (not graded very well).....i just don't have hope....

anybody with any thoughts please?

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,310 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

((You)) I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's so very hard to comprehend, but it's not likely that it was anything you did or didn't do. I hope that further testing will help provide answers and settle your concerns. Be gentle with youself and take good care of you.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#3 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

I wanted to say how sorry I am and sometimes there are no explanations to why things happen. Like you, my pregnancy was going great and then at the NT scan it was determined that my baby girl had a brain defect, I didn't understand why this happened and why it was missed. I was 14 weeks. I lost my girl and sixteen weeks and genetic testing showed she was perfect, her defect unexplained as to why it occurred. You asked if it was God's will? Truthfully, I believe that it is. I believed and still believe that God had other plans for my baby. Some will argue against and it is to be expected but we all need something to believe to get through the pain. God has not made my journey easy nor the journey of many others. My hope is that it is happening to teach us to grow and become stronger, maybe, I don't know. but it helps me cope. I personally don't think it had anything to do with the estrace and progesterone because most protocols stop at 10 weeks since the baby is able to produce it on his/her own. Sometimes there are no answers as to why things happen and that makes it so much harder. i WISH YOU STRENGTH IN THE DAYS AHEAD.

#4 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

I really dont know what to say,  i wish i could take some of the pain away but i dont think that there are any words.all i can offer is myself if you need to talk. i am really sorry for your loss. 

#5 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 5,262 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Sunny side - I am so incredibly sorry... o had something very similar happen, I was 12w5d when we found out that baby had passed just days before. We had actually just shared with friends and family as well. I understand the devastation and sadness and confusion. There is no explanation. And I'm not really sure any words truly helped me. In fact I'm a bit weird and didn't want to speak about it with anyone. A few people sent flowers and I made dh throw them out. I couldn't abide having them around as a reminder.

These first few days may feel a bit like shock. As things sunk in, my emotions became much more raw. I wanted to scream. Throw things. I cried in private often. (I also am a retreater when I'm overwhelmed and spent at least a week in bed not really speaking or interacting with anyone). There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Do what you need to do. Plain and simple. It's still incredibly raw for me, and this is nearly three years later. But it does get better. It doesn't go away, but you will find it stings less. It becomes more a wistful memory rather than one that takes your breath away.

I hope you find some answers. And some success down the road when you are ready. Please be gentle and kind with your self. ( a few idea that helped us were to name our child, have them cremated, and to purchase some memorial jewelry as a reminder...)
  • lumnay likes this

See about me page.

#6 ImpatientlyWaiting

ImpatientlyWaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 297 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic, PCRM Edmonton

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'm so sorry sunnyside.  Take some time to grieve, a loss is devastating.  Something similar happened to me, I went in for a scan in the morning, everything was fine, baby's heart rate was great - and then within 24 hrs, everything ended.  Sometimes there are no reasons that are given as to why this happened, but know that there is nothing you could have done differently.  You may sit there and analyze everything and think "what if" for every scenario, but be kind to yourself.

I'm so sorry for your loss.