Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Proceeding with donor embryo transfer while bleeding


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WillB4

WillB4
  • Member
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

I need a professional opinion because I'm wracking my brain as to why my RE made the call that he did. Days prior as well as the morning of my transfer I was bleeding. I was and still am taking estrace, prometrium, and at the time vaginal progesterone as well as aspirin. My transfer was on a Thursday and the Monday I was told to stop the aspirin. The morning of the transfer I was still bleeding.... Not a lot of bleeding and it was always morning bleeding but enough to rub off on my liner and was bright red. Anyway as I was being assessed the morning of the transfer my RE mentioned that it looks like irritation of the cervix that's been causing the bleeding and decided to go ahead with the transfer.... My gut told me to have held off but we tend to put our full trust in Dr's especially being in such a vulnerable state. He went on to say that we have 5 great embryos left so we have a good cushion and chances of pregnancy are 50/50. That alone told me not to expect a pregnancy the first time around. He just sounded very skeptical and my husband had the exact same hunch as me. Sure enough no pregnancy resulted. Yes it's great that we have 5 other grade 1 embryos but why proceed when the environment isn't ideal or perfect? Not only that but causing me more upset and and additional financial burden when we could have held off until the situation was more ideal. I personally think he made a bad call. In your professional opinion would you have proceeded given the situation?

#2 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 18 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

I am sorry to hear that this did not work out. It would be difficult to say that it was the wrong call without knowing the extent of the bleeding. If your doctor felt that the bleeding was coming from the external part of the cervix it is much less likely to have been an issue that if the bleeding was coming from inside the uterine cavity. I would not have done an embryo transfer if the bleeding was from the uterine cavity. I suggest you revisit this with your RE, and if you are uncomfortable in the future do not proceed with a transfer if you are bleeding.


  • mouse likes this