• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 C&J

C&J
  • 96 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

Anytime have a cycle in January specifically at Aurora? Which doctor? Which protocol? How many cycles have you tried?
Me 28 PCOS + Anovulation + Amenorrhea
DH 31 Healthy
6 months natural BFN
Clomid 50 Mg Jan 2014 - No ovulation
Clomid 100 Mg Feb 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 150 Mg March 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg April 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg May 2014 - No Ovualtion 
Referral to Dr. Gamelin Aurora (Short notice cancellation - first consult July 7 2014)
Letrozole 2.5mg July 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 2.5 mg August 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 5 mg September 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5mg October 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5 mg November 2014 - 1 Follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg December 2014 - 2 Follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg January 2015 - 2 follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg February 2015 1 follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI March 2015 2 follicles - BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI April 2015 1 follicle - BFP
June 26 2015 - no fetal heartbeat - silent miscarriage
Missing our angel
Praying for our rainbow
Gonal f + ovidrel + back to back iui -September 2015 -BFN
October 2015 - letrozole 7.5mg + ovidrel +iui - BFN
January 2017 - IVF #1

#2 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 277 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hey C&J -

I saw your post over in the January 2017 cycle buddies thread, but in case you check here first - I'm doing the Aurora cycle that goes from December 28 -the week of January 9th. I am guessing you might be doing the one that starts the week of January 25th ish? (I think that is when it is? When we chose our cycle, they told us dates in December, January and February.)

It'll be our first - they put us on an antagonist protocol. We've been seeing Dr. Gamelin since May of this year, tried a few IUis with her. I did have one appointment with Dr. Case, when Gamelin was away as well. (I prefer Dr. Gamelin, but that's just because her personality jives better with mine I think.) I'm already on OCP, since I had breakthrough problems when I stopped letrozole after our last IUI. I start GonalF and Menopur on December 30, have my baseline on December 29, and they'll tell me the first week of January which other drug is being added to my cocktail. 

#3 C&J

C&J
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

I also have Dr. Gamelin and also much prefer her to Dr. Case. I don't know any of the details of my cycle yet. Jackie wasn't all that informative. Lol. I'm calling there tomorrow because I want to review my file with Dr.Gamelin before I get started. I used gonal f for superovulation before and my estradiol dropped and I had spotting halfway through stims.. so i just want to make sure that's not going to happen again!

You'll have to tell me firsthand what retrieval is like seeing as you'll be up before me!
Me 28 PCOS + Anovulation + Amenorrhea
DH 31 Healthy
6 months natural BFN
Clomid 50 Mg Jan 2014 - No ovulation
Clomid 100 Mg Feb 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 150 Mg March 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg April 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg May 2014 - No Ovualtion 
Referral to Dr. Gamelin Aurora (Short notice cancellation - first consult July 7 2014)
Letrozole 2.5mg July 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 2.5 mg August 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 5 mg September 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5mg October 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5 mg November 2014 - 1 Follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg December 2014 - 2 Follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg January 2015 - 2 follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg February 2015 1 follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI March 2015 2 follicles - BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI April 2015 1 follicle - BFP
June 26 2015 - no fetal heartbeat - silent miscarriage
Missing our angel
Praying for our rainbow
Gonal f + ovidrel + back to back iui -September 2015 -BFN
October 2015 - letrozole 7.5mg + ovidrel +iui - BFN
January 2017 - IVF #1

#4 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

Ha - yeah, Jackie didn't give us much information at the time. But they send out orientation materials about 3-4 weeks ahead of time. There is a mandatory orientation session you'll need to attend (for the December 28th start, it's December 13). They go over injection training and a bunch of IVF info there, plus everyone gets a 1-on-1 with the doctor that day. We were a little frustrated because we got the email with barely three weeks notice - and no idea how long the orientation will take, so we both had to take the full afternoon off work.

The email also contains your protocol info - drugs, dosage, schedule, and the first couple of ultrasound/monitoring appointments. Oh, and at the end it has the big fat invoice. Payment is due on/by the orientation day. (Which also surprised us - I mean, we didn't expect to have to pay the IVF fee - $6K - plus a year of embryo storage - $800 - before we'd so much as had an ultrasound. Also - we are a little surprised to be paying for a year of embryo storage before we know for sure if we'll have embryos, but that will be part of our questions on the 13th.)

Don't be shy about emailing Jackie. At first I tried to be low maintenance, but after I had the hormonal-balance-breakthrough issues, I figured - whatever. If I am going to pay this much and need to trust them this much - I am going to email with as many questions as I feel like sending. :)

• eyedoc likes this

#5 eyedoc

eyedoc
  • Global 100+
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Not cycling but have been there done that at Aurora.

I think it is pretty standard at many clinics to have to pay for the cycle beforehand, or at least a hefty deposit. That way if someone bails or doesn't have the funds, they have time to fill the spot. If they waited until the first ultrasound and somebody doesn't show, there is no way they can just throw someone in off the wait list as they won't have been suppressed etc.

As for the embryo storage fee beforehand, other clinics do this as well. If you do not have any embryos to freeze, they will refund you the storage fee.

Good luck with your cycle!

Ha - yeah, Jackie didn't give us much information at the time. But they send out orientation materials about 3-4 weeks ahead of time. There is a mandatory orientation session you'll need to attend (for the December 28th start, it's December 13). They go over injection training and a bunch of IVF info there, plus everyone gets a 1-on-1 with the doctor that day. We were a little frustrated because we got the email with barely three weeks notice - and no idea how long the orientation will take, so we both had to take the full afternoon off work.

The email also contains your protocol info - drugs, dosage, schedule, and the first couple of ultrasound/monitoring appointments. Oh, and at the end it has the big fat invoice. Payment is due on/by the orientation day. (Which also surprised us - I mean, we didn't expect to have to pay the IVF fee - $6K - plus a year of embryo storage - $800 - before we'd so much as had an ultrasound. Also - we are a little surprised to be paying for a year of embryo storage before we know for sure if we'll have embryos, but that will be part of our questions on the 13th.)

Don't be shy about emailing Jackie. At first I tried to be low maintenance, but after I had the hormonal-balance-breakthrough issues, I figured - whatever. If I am going to pay this much and need to trust them this much - I am going to email with as many questions as I feel like sending. :)

Me - 33, PCOS
DH - 38, Male factor

April 2012 - Started TTC #1
2013 - 2014 - Several medicated cycles and 3 IUI - all BFN

November/December 2014 - IVF #1
Transfer of 1 day 5 embryo, 3 embryos frozen - BFP th_abfp.gif
pPROM @ 35 weeks and our baby babygirl.gif made her early appearance on July 26, 2015

July 2015 - Phone consultation with clinic to look at doing a FET towards the end of the year

August 2015 - Natural BFP??  th_abfp.gif  We are in shock!  Ultrasound at clinic confirms I was already 9 weeks pregnant and had NO IDEA!

Due date for baby B #2 - March 27, 2017

#6 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

Thanks eyedoc. I guess we're at the point we feel like we're being bled dry with the fees :( Maybe we need to look at it as the silver lining - if it all goes pear-shaped and the cycle is a massive flop - well hey, at least they'll be giving us money instead of the other way around.

If only fertility treatments were covered... In a perfect world, right?

#7 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Hey, we did our 'first' cycle (if you can call it that), with Dr Gamelin at the end of October/beginning of November.  I didn't respond to the meds the way they were hoping so my cycle got cancelled.  They refunded us majority of our money ( we had to pay $1200 for all the bloodwork/ultrasounds, and lost all money spent on drugs which wasn't too bad as we were on a very low dose), they sent us a cheque in the mail.  We would have been in the January group, but we have a trip planned for beginning of February, so I am currently on bcp waiting for a cancellation to get into December, otherwise we have to wait until February!  I was on antagonist protocol and Dr Gamelin was my dr.  Overall we have had a good experience with them.  Good luck :)

• yaenaSK likes this

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a couple rounds of IVF without success, we are feeling discouraged and wonder if we should keep trying....

#8 smith8

smith8
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • My Clinic:auroa

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Good evening I just got my call for consultation with auroa in Saskatoon next month. How long after that do you go for iui procedure? Also while we are waiting to go to consultation can my family doctor start me on fertility drugs to make process move faster?

#9 eyedoc

eyedoc
  • Global 100+
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

They will want to do some baseline testing first. So typically with your next cycle after your consultation you will do blood work on x day of your cycle, sono n x day of your cycle. There are also other tests, blood work that can be done at any point (not a particular day of your cycle). Once the necessary testing is done then you can go to IUI right away.

Your family doctor can start you on fertility drugs but that won't make the process go "faster". GP's will often prescribe drugs such as clomid or femara to induce ovulation. Taking on day 3-7 or 5-9 of your cycle. It can be kind of pointless though as they don't typically monitor you like an obgyn or the fertility clinic would (ie to see how your are responding, to see if dosage needs to be adjusted, to see when you are ovulating, to see if you did ovulate). There should be ultrasounds and often blood work with these drugs and GP's don't typically do this. So may not be the best to just sort of take the drugs blindly with no concept on if they are actually doing what is intended (ie induce ovulation with at least one follicle). So if your family doc prescribes you drugs, it will not help you move onto IUI any faster if that is what you were meaning.

I also notice in your signature that you are dealing with male factor? Depending on the severity of that they may not recommend IUI but instead IVF as IUI can be ineffective depending on how bad the sperm is.

Good evening I just got my call for consultation with auroa in Saskatoon next month. How long after that do you go for iui procedure? Also while we are waiting to go to consultation can my family doctor start me on fertility drugs to make process move faster?

• yaenaSK likes this

Me - 33, PCOS
DH - 38, Male factor

pPROM @ 35 weeks and our baby babygirl.gif made her early appearance on July 26, 2015

July 2015 - Phone consultation with clinic to look at doing a FET towards the end of the year

August 2015 - Natural BFP??  th_abfp.gif  We are in shock!  Ultrasound at clinic confirms I was already 9 weeks pregnant and had NO IDEA!

#10 smith8

smith8
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Ok thank you for your advice :) I will just wait for my consultation next month then .

#11 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

eyedoc's comments are awesome :)

I am the worst person for being patient, and I have to say - I feel like once we got in for our consult at Aurora, things moved a lot faster. It's the waiting for referrals to go through that takes ages, but Aurora (in my experience) has always been proactive and keeps things moving for you.

• eyedoc likes this

#12 smith8

smith8
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Has anyone been a patient of Dr.Carson in Regina for iui ect.

#13 eyedoc

eyedoc
  • Global 100+
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

No I haven't - I only did IUI with aurora. Are you currently a patient of Dr carson's? If not I don't think he will do them (there is some weird round about way of getting into him for IUI but it isn't public knowledge).

You could join our secret Regina infertility Facebook page. I am a member and I know there are a few on there who did have IUI with dr Carson. The group isn't searchable so if you wish to join email regina.infertility.support@gmail.com

Has anyone been a patient of Dr.Carson in Regina for iui ect.

Me - 33, PCOS
DH - 38, Male factor

#14 smith8

smith8
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

Ok sounds good and yes I am on wait list for Dr.carson which would be nice not to travel but just he does not have good reviews. I have an appointment at auroa next month for consultation while we are waiting. I will definitely email and join the group

#15 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

I am a nurse on labour and delivery and I have worked with Dr. Carson.  He probably doesn't have good reviews as he is grumpy and not very kind.  He doesn't have much of a bedside manner at all.  I haven't done IUI but others in the regina fb group have mentioned that its free through Carson, but through Aurora you have to pay?  Like I said, not from my experience, but also a thought.  

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a couple rounds of IVF without success, we are feeling discouraged and wonder if we should keep trying....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aurora, IVF, 2017, January