Help with choosing between clinics in Toronto

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Babyhopes1977

Babyhopes1977
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

This is my first post and I need helping choosing a clinic. I have 1 failed IVF. 1 PGS embryo failed to take after FET this past July. This was with Dr. Hannam. I went for a second opinion to Dr Bentov at Anova. I don't know if I should do another cycle with Dr Hannam or go to Dr Bentov. Dr. Bentov has suggested adding Intralipids. Any suggestions would be helpful.
  • janny82 likes this
Me: 39 DH: 34

TTC since July 2013
September 2014 - natural BFP- miscarriage 5 weeks
IUI #1 - June 2015 - BFN
IVF #1 - October 2015 - 3 - 5 day embryos sent for PGS testing - 1 normal
FET #1-2 cancelled - thin lining
FET #3 - July 2016 - BFN
IVF #2 - December 2016 - 6 eggs retrieved - 0 fertilized

#2 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Tcart/Trio

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Hi Babyhopes, 

sorry you are going through this. I'm not expert but I was with Dr Bentov at Tcart before he left for Anova and personally I would not recommend him as a doctor. He may be a good doctor but his bedside manner is terrible.  he has no empathy or sympathy for anything you are going through.  he has no communications skills and made me far more uncomfortable and stressed through everything. 

He left Tcart this summer with no notice and did not inform his patients (like me) who were int he middle of treatments - i was in meeting with him just days before he left and he didn't say anything. which to me just adds to showing how little he cares for his patients.

I'm sure he knows what he is talking about but there are other doctors who know what they are doing as well and will treat you better a long the way.

just my 2¢.  good luck. 

• Babyhopes1977 likes this

#3 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,501 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

Interlipids are generally prescribed for people with recurrent losses, but they are not harmful, no side effects, it's basically just an IV drip of soymilk, so some doctors are prescribing it to people who haven't had recurrent losses because.... why not....

I have heard wonderful things about both clinics, but have no person experience with either one. I think at the end of the day you need to feel confident in your relationship with your doctor. And honestly, given how much time you spend going to a clinic, I think geography is a relevant factor as well. I'm sure you could have the interlipid conversation with Dr. Hannam, but his response might be that if you don't have a history of recurrent losses then there is no evidence to support they would be helpful, and your money would be better spent elsewhere. Has either doctor given you any feedback on change of protocol that could potentially result in more eggs being produced? 

Best of luck whatever you decide.

:flowers:

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

#4 Babyhopes1977

Babyhopes1977
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

I had one miscarriage from a natural pregnancy at 6 weeks. My body started having episodes of vomiting and diarrhea that lasted right before the miscarriage and a couple of months after. No doctor could figure it out. Dr. Hannams clinic is definitely more convenient. They have given me different protocols. Also, on a side not my thyroid level was at 3.3 for my FET. But neither dr. Seems concerned but I've read it should be under 2.5.

TTC since July 2013
IUI #1 - June 2015 - BFN
FET #3 - July 2016 - BFN

#5 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,501 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

I'm so sorry. This is so hard. At the end of the day you need to follow your instincts and work with a doctor that you believe in. As of course we are all here for you as a supportive ear, we've all been through it too, but only your doctor can work with you to determine the best protocol for you.

After my first loss I insisted that my doctor do the full panel of recurrent miscarriage testing. My argument was that for what we were paying to get PG I couldn't afford to reach 3 losses to find out if there was a reason for our losses. He was sufficiently convinced to do all the testing for recurrent losses. It didn't find anything, but did put my mind at ease that we were doing all that we could. He did put me on interlipids for my last 2 cycles, as well as neupogen.

:flowers:

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

#6 Setmefree

Setmefree
  • 64 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

I had a loss with a PGS tested embryo. Normal embryo doesn't really guarantee you that everything is totally normal with it. Intralipids is also not proven to really help according to a second opinion I had with a dr at hannam.
A dr told me you need about 3 PGS normal embryos to kind of guarantee a live birth given there are no immune or implantation issues. I would stick with Hannam if you can afford it. Their lab is good. But Create is good too and damn cheaper. Bank your embryos and then test

#7 Babyhopes1977

Babyhopes1977
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:09 AM

I had a loss with a PGS tested embryo. Normal embryo doesn't really guarantee you that everything is totally normal with it. Intralipids is also not proven to really help according to a second opinion I had with a dr at hannam.
A dr told me you need about 3 PGS normal embryos to kind of guarantee a live birth given there are no immune or implantation issues. I would stick with Hannam if you can afford it. Their lab is good. But Create is good too and damn cheaper. Bank your embryos and then test

Did you go to Create instead of Hannam because of cost? Have you had success there and what did they change in your protocol? Thanks for your help.

TTC since July 2013
IUI #1 - June 2015 - BFN
FET #3 - July 2016 - BFN

#8 flusteredTO

flusteredTO
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:create

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

My first post ever - here it is... I've been at CReATE for almost a year.  I've done IUIs and IVF.  I'm trying to decide if I should stay or go somewhere else - namely, Markham.  The downside to Markham is its in Markham and I live and work in TO.  I met with Dr. Virro though and he seems great - thorough and I've definitely gotten the sense that patient volume is less so maybe you get more individualized care.  

Are there any TO people who have made the trek to Markham - why did you decide one way or the other?  

I'm very frustrated over the lack of transparency around clinics, success rates, and most importantly, their labs.  

General diagnosis is age (almost 37) and some MFI but nothing earth shattering - yet, nothing is working.  I really need someone to help me decide:

1. Stay at CReATE

2. Move to Markham

3. Move to other TO clinic - are there strengths at a specific clinic related to our situation?   Hannam? TCART/TRIO?  

Could really use some support - and direction.  

Thanks! 

• Abrianna likes this

#9 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

flusteredTO: Sorry to hear things are not working out for you. We are in the same boat with unexplained ICSI fertilization failure during our IVF cycles. Our diagnosis is supposedly straight forward MFI due to low testosterone but that no longer seems to be the only issue. Has Create given you a reason for why the IVF cycles are failing? How many cycles have you done? From our experience, if you are not happy with current clinic and don't feel confident in the recommendations of how to improve next cycle then move on. We stayed for a second IVF cycle and it was a complete waste of time and money.

We were with Ottawa Fertility Clinic but are coming to Toronto next week for initial consult with Dr. Hannam and see Dr. Virro in Feb. I think both clinics are good options. We had debated Create as well be held off at this point as we are looking for more individualized care. Our last clinic had major problems in that area and we don't want that experience again. For us location is not a factor as it is a 4 hr drive either way. I think if you are going to look at Hannam Fertility then research which RE you want to see as there are definitely differences in approaches. My main concern with Hannam is the costs. Good luck making a decision for next steps!
Me:33 DH:37Dx MFI

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
IUI#1 Feb 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
1.5mil post wash BFN

IUI#2 April 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
400,000 post wash BFN

IVF#1 July 2016:long agonist protocol (bcp/suprefact, gonal-f 150iu, Ovidrel)
AFC 36, triggered early due to OHSS
12 mature eggs, 1 fertilized with ICSI
2dt BFP ended in CP

IVF #2 Nov 2016:long agonist protocol
(gonal-f 125 iu and luveris 75 added)
AFC 18, 3 eggs retrieved 2 mature, total ICSI failure

Moving on to new clinic and second opinions🤔

#10 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

I'm in the same boat (even with the MFI and fertilization failure!) and am shopping around as well. My frustration is in getting the clinics to actually make the appointment. A lot of emailing and them not responding. My referral was received two weeks ago and they still won't confirm an appointment. They just emailed me back to say they have it and didn't respond to my question about when I would have an appointment. 

I think my only recommendation is to be comfortable with the RE and clinic. I have been uncomfortable for most of my journey so far in that I didn't feel the information/communication was where it should be. And the conflicting opinions have done my head in at times. I am still hopeful I will meet with another RE and get a good vibe!

ME: 38 39 age appropriate AMH (14pmol/1.96ng), 7-8 FSH, AFC ~20
DH: male factor (using PESA/TESA)

June 2016 IVF w/ICSI, frozen PESA sample: 13 mature eggs - 4 fertilized - 1 day 5 blast frozen

Low fertilization blamed on quality post-thaw of PESA sample: motility went from 44% to 4%, morphology 21% to 4%.

FET November 2016 - Cancelled

CD 13 lining check 5mm after 10 days of 3x4mg estrace, CD 17 still 5mm. Cycle cancelled. 

Nov 2016 to Jan 2017 - acupuncture and supplements for thin lining 

Feb 2017 - FET cycle w/estrogen patches and viagara

#11 flusteredTO

flusteredTO
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

No real explanation which adds to the frustration.  I want answers and I thought IVF/ICSI should give you that.  We do have clarity that its MFI we're dealing with but not much beyond that and our urologist has also been virtually useless and not concerned... I may try to get a TCART referral too for good measure.  Would love to know how people decide these things in the absence of any real information. 

Would also love to hear why people love Virro so much...  I did like him but there were a few things he said that don't seem consistent with what I know the state of the research to be so I'm concerned he's not totally on top of it.  

Where else are you looking @schlepp? I think if we were to go to Hannam we'd only go to see him... but cost does make you think twice. 

#12 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Where else are you looking @schlepp? I think if we were to go to Hannam we'd only go to see him... but cost does make you think twice. 

I am looking at Create.  I was also looking abroad but now that I'm struggling with thin lining it would be very challenging if I was lucky enough to cycle and have some embryos left over. Timing with flights for a FET would be very difficult.

Can I ask if you used frozen or fresh sperm for IVF? Just curious as we used frozen and think it contributed to our fertilization failure. 

June 2016 IVF w/ICSI, frozen PESA sample: 13 mature eggs - 4 fertilized - 1 day 5 blast frozen

Low fertilization blamed on quality post-thaw of PESA sample: motility went from 44% to 4%, morphology 21% to 4%.

CD 13 lining check 5mm after 10 days of 3x4mg estrace, CD 17 still 5mm. Cycle cancelled. 

#13 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

flusteredTO: Do you have specific concerns or issues with Create at this point? They are still in the back of our minds as an alternative and I would be interested is what your experience was like. I am not really sure why Virro has such a cult following but he does seem to have success with people who have had failures else where. My main reason for wanting to see him it that he looks at immune system issues seriously which I feel could be a factor for me.

We are seeing Dr. Hannam tomorrow so I will let you know what his take on our fertilization failure is. We specifically asked to see him as I am done screwing around. I can say so far the Hannam intake process and email response time has been fabulous.

Schlepp: So sorry to hear your FET didn't work and you are shopping around as well. Did you ever get any answers from your clinic with what they think went wrong?

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#14 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:49 PM

Abrianna: My FET hasn't failed I'm just struggling to get a thick enough lining to actually do the FET. We only have on blast so I am being realistic and also looking to get a second opinion on cycling again. I'm going for a consult with Create. I feel prepared for what it will be like as I've seen the feedback; clinic is super busy, long waits for everything but they're well priced with good success rates. And feedback on the RE I'm going to see has been positive. 

Very interested to hear the feedback on the fertilization issue as we have struggled with it and have been given two different versions of why. 

#15 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

Schlepp: Sorry for some reason I thought you had already done the transfer. I hope Create has some ideas for you! I agree the prices look great and overall they have good reviews/success rates.

So Dr Hannam reviewed our file yesterday and was very upset with what was done with drugs/cycle monitoring at previous clinic. He doesn't believe there is any underlying egg quality issue and that the ICSI failure is due to drug protocol destroying eggs. It was great to hear someone else besides myself come to the same conclusion. I have excellent amh and no known fertility issues so pure stats should say that 70% of my egg should be perfect. His explanation was that by putting me in the long agonist protocol and then low dose gonal-f 150 or 125 iu my body did not have enough estrogen to support follicle growth. The protocol that he wrote up for us if we try again is drastically different antagonist cycle with higher dosages, planned freeze all lupron trigger and thyroid/adrenal support built in to reduce stress on my system during stims. He felt PICSI may also be of significant benefit for us so we will see what HBA results say. He said he has seen other patients go from total ICSI failure to 75% fertilization with PICSI. We redid AMH, DFI and both did karyotype testing just to rule out any other factors. Still not sure if we are going to go ahead with anything more and the price tag is definitely high. It is nice to have closure though on what has been going wrong.
  • returnable likes this

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#16 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

Abrianna I am so glad you received a second opinion. Hopefully if you decide to try again, you will have more success.

• Abrianna likes this

See profile for my IF history.

#17 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks returnable! Have you decided when you are starting your next cycle?

It was definitely nice to hear that I was not crazy in suspecting our clinic was making mistakes with protocol and not being truthful about what is actually going wrong. I have a feeling we will try one last cycle with Dr Hannam in the summer as it will be hard to walk away without trying a new approach. We will see what my AMH shows but he felt that as long as there is not a significant drop we have lots of time to work with. We are seeing Dr Virro in Feb as well to get another opinion and see which clinic we prefer going forwards. I am definitely not looking forward to the out of town cycling process.

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#18 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

We got a funded spot in January so will be doing pretreatment in January and stims in February. After that we are moving onto DE. Any chance you could find a satellite monitoring clinic in your area so you only come to Toronto for ER?

See profile for my IF history.

#19 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

Returnable:That is great to hear that you got a spot! No unfortunately Ottawa only has one clinic and they refuse to do cycle monitoring for Toronto clinics unless it is a service that they do not provide. At this point I wouldn't even trust them to do my cycle monitoring anyways. We haven't been back to OFC since ER and cancelled our WTF as there is no point going to hear the excuses. We would have to be at Hannam daily from CD4 till ER so we would just make it a week vacation on stims lol.

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#20 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Abrianna - Reading your signature, did he have an answer for why your AFC reduced between the two cycles? Did your ovaries not recover from the first cycle before the second?

Interested to hear the other second opinion as well. It is so tough to be dealing with IF and having to advocate for yourself and question the advice/care being provided.

• Abrianna likes this

#21 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Schlepp: We didn't really discuss AFC a whole lot as the way OFC tests it is not true measure of AFC. They take the count at first monitoring ultrasound which is usually after 5-7 days of stims. The first cycle I was higher then normal and then second cycle slightly low. AFC typically fluctuates a bit from month to month anyways. The difference was likely related to change in stim meds between cycles and being over suppressed on second cycle. I had alot more side effects from suppression phase the second time around as well which makes me think my body was really struggling with the dosage. At the end of the day all Hannam is looking for is 15 mature eggs which based on all my baseline tests results should never be an issue.

I am definitely interested to hear what Virro has to say and Hannam was supportive of us doing that. He agreed that we need to feel comfortable with whatever we choose to do and if walking away from fertility treatments is the best choice for us he totally supports that. It was really nice to have an RE truly care about what is best for us and really listen to our concerns/opinions. It didn't feel I had to advocate/push to get what we want at all which was a nice change.

Do you have an appointment set up with Create? I am interested to hear what they think of your cycle.

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#22 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:28 AM

Abrianna: I've got an appointment at Create for mid January. I also redid my AMH at the end of the summer, to compare with where it was last December. It had actually increased (likely due to low Vit D suppressing it on the previous result) which made me a bit less stressed about waiting for another cycle until the new year. Good luck!

#23 flusteredTO

flusteredTO
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

Abrianna - I think the main thing is they seem to have too high patient volume to doctor ratio.  It always feels really hectic and it makes you wonder how much the RE is actually paying attention to your specific results vs. just using the same protocol that they always use.  You also have to advocate for yourself to the extreme although that may be more common in this field than other areas of medicine.  I'm curious how you'll find Virro.  My issue there is driving to Markham. Its already such a huge investment of time, does 2 hours of driving make sense?  Have  you decided to switch to Hannam or will you wait until Feb to decide?  

#24 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

Abrianna - I think the main thing is they seem to have too high patient volume to doctor ratio.  It always feels really hectic and it makes you wonder how much the RE is actually paying attention to your specific results vs. just using the same protocol that they always use.  You also have to advocate for yourself to the extreme although that may be more common in this field than other areas of medicine.  I'm curious how you'll find Virro.  My issue there is driving to Markham. Its already such a huge investment of time, does 2 hours of driving make sense?  Have  you decided to switch to Hannam or will you wait until Feb to decide?  

Thanks for the info. That was exactly my concern with Create and the reason why I held off on a referral. We went through the same things with our previous clinic and I can never handle repeating that experience no matter how much money it saves us. At this point I would rather pay more for a cycle with a Dr who is anal retentive with cycle monitoring and feel confident that mistakes are not being made.

For choosing a clinic I guess you can say we are patients of Hannam at this point! We cancelled our WTF at OFC and have no intention of returning. We went ahead with all the testing at Hannam as we needed to do genetics and HBA semen analysis in order to make a decision about another cycle. We are still planning to see Virro in Feb before deciding on if and where we will cycle. Hannam is aware that we are planning to see Virro and he was totally fine with it. Hannam set up everything for us as if we are going ahead with a cycle this summer so that we don't have to come back for follow up which is nice. Depending on HBA results we may have to stick with Hannam as I don't think Virro does PICSI.

Have you gotten any further deciding what to do?

Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

#25 MrsJellybean

MrsJellybean
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:TBD

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Does anyone understand how a clinic gets on the approved clinics list for the Fertility Funded Program?

Some of the clinics I am considering aren't on the list and I am trying to figure out if I should be concerned or not.