#1 Munchy40

Munchy40
  • Global 100+
  • 270 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

Well here is one for ya!
I live in a small town. A lady here recommend a fertility Center, of which I went ahead with a sperm donor and egg donor, and created ten embryos. Two of which I will be using in a few weeks.
I recently realized after seeing pictures of her triplets, that there is a good chance we have used the same sperm donor.
If any, what are the legalities around this? (Eg support, visitation, etc)
Thanks.

#2 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 298 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Well here is one for ya!
I live in a small town. A lady here recommend a fertility Center, of which I went ahead with a sperm donor and egg donor, and created ten embryos. Two of which I will be using in a few weeks.
I recently realized after seeing pictures of her triplets, that there is a good chance we have used the same sperm donor.
If any, what are the legalities around this? (Eg support, visitation, etc)
Thanks.

She will never know which sperm donor you used unless you tell her.   I was concerned about my egg donor's parents trying to claim grandparental rights over my child should something happen to the donor. I have been  informed by my lawyer that she has never heard of a case like that and that a judge would be very unlikely in Canada to grant them any custody/visitation rights.

I can't imagine there is any danger in a judge granting visitation or support to a genetic sibling conceived by donor.

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#3 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,508 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

On the flip side, it is incredibly valuable for children to grow up knowing other kids who's story is similar to their own, so if your children are from the same donor or not, it still may be worthwhile for your future children to befriend her children and when they are old enough to know that their stories share some commonality. My son has friends who were created by donor sperm, and one friend who was also a donor embryo, and at 3 he knows enough about his story to say that we had a doctor find a perfect embryo for us, and that he put that embryo in me, and that embryo grew to be him. Soon enough he'll wrap his head around the fact that other babies do not come into the world this way, so for him to know at least a handful of kids who did will hopefully make him feel that his story is just another one of the wonderful options our world has to offer. 

Best of luck on your upcoming cycle!!!!

:flowers:

I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

#4 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 104 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Hi Munchy40. There are a lot of legal questions that arise from the use of donor gametes, and the issues exceed the time and space allotted to us here.  If you have concerns about the donor's rights, please contact a lawyer who specializes in this area. If you are worried about this other woman's rights to your child, or her children's rights, then rest assured that they would have no rights over your child.

The more information you have the better. You can ask the clinic for more information about your donors in terms of how many times they donated, and how many offspring were created with their gametes. You might also choose to look at the US donor sibling registry.  Some day, your child will ask questions, and it is best to be prepared.