16 replies to this topic

#1 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

We are looking to get a second opinion from Hannam as we have had two failed IVF cycles due to ICSI fertilization failure. Our current clinic has no idea what is going wrong and no real plans to do any further testing. We were originally diagnosed with male factor infertility due to low testicular testosterone but it seems that there is more going on due to repeat ICSI failure.

I am just looking for opinions or recommendations on who to see. We are currently booked to see Dr Hannam but Dr. Robb or Dr. Redmond were also recommended as other options by the clinic as they have more availability. At this point we don't want to waste our time especially being out of town patients.
Me:33 DH:37Dx MFI
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
IUI#1 Feb 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
1.5mil post wash BFN

IUI#2 April 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
400,000 post wash BFN

IVF#1 July 2016:long agonist protocol(bcp/suprefact, gonal-f 150iu, Ovidrel)
AFC 36, triggered early due to OHSS
8 mature eggs, 1 fertilized with ICSI
2dt BFP ended in CP

IVF #2 Nov 2016:long agonist protocol(gonal-f 125 iu and luveris 75 added)
AFC 18, 3 eggs retrieved 2 mature, total ICSI failure

Moving on to new clinic and second opinions🤔

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#2 CHOP28

CHOP28
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

I am a patient of Dr. Garbedian there and she is amazing.  I am not sure if she is an option or not but I would recommend her 100%.  I do not know the other doctors personally so hopefully someone else can provide you with an opinion on them.  I know with Dr. Garbedian both my husband and I went through a significant amount of testing before we even discussed a protocol, and we already knew what the problem was.   She is extremely thorough.  I know a lot of times they even have patients just do cycle monitoring for a month to see what is happening before doing anything else. 

#3 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

I am a patient of Dr. Garbedian there and she is amazing.  I am not sure if she is an option or not but I would recommend her 100%.  I do not know the other doctors personally so hopefully someone else can provide you with an opinion on them.  I know with Dr. Garbedian both my husband and I went through a significant amount of testing before we even discussed a protocol, and we already knew what the problem was.   She is extremely thorough.  I know a lot of times they even have patients just do cycle monitoring for a month to see what is happening before doing anything else. 

Thank for replying! We can essentially request to see anyone so she is definitely an option. I think the Hannam intake coordinator was recommending the physicians with the most years of experience since no one at our current clinic has ideas about what is going wrong or what to do about it. Overall it sounds like you have been happy with your Hannam experience which is good to hear! At this point we are just hoping that another clinic will be able to give us a diagnosis as to why ICSI is not working and direction as to whether we have any treatment options.
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#4 hamiltwin

hamiltwin
  • Global 100+
  • 375 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Hannam...previously at OFC

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

I would stick with Dr. Hannam! He is a wonderful physician. I too was at the OFC initially but after 1 failed IVF cycle likely due to poor egg quality and 1 failed IVF converted to IUI due to poor response, I felt I needed a second opinion. I was told at OFC that my old 31 year old eggs and DOR were to blame. None of this was true! Dr. Hannam did a phone interview with me for the first appointment to avoid me having to travel to Toronto. I'm not sure if he does this anymore. He knew right away why my 2nd IVF resulted in very poor ovarian response.

I took a leap of faith and cycled with Dr. Hannam in September/October 2014. I also did all my subsequent FETs with him. It was the best decision I ever made despite the expensive travel for monitoring. Dr. Hannam's fertility lab is associated with CCRM which is one of the best fertility clinics in the U.S. I think if anyone is going to figure out your ICSI issues, it's Dr. Hannam! I simply can't say enough good things about him!

Best of luck! I wish you success on your next cycle!  

PM me if you have any specific questions! I'd be happy to answer them!

• Abrianna and CHOP28 like this

For full details on our IF journey, see my About Me page.

Summary:

Secondary infertility due to Mosaic Triple X syndrome, endometriosis and teratospermia.

IVF#1 (Sept 2013) with fresh transfer: BFN.

IVF#2 (March 2014) converted to IUI due to poor response: BFN

IVF#2.1 (October 2014): freeze-all due to PGS. 2 euploid blastocysts, 2 "no results".

FET#1 (December 2014): chemical pregnancy.

FET#2 (March 2015): BFN. No more euploid blasts. sad.png

FET#3 (Nov 2015): after many cancelled cycles we finally transferred our last 2 "no result" blasts. hcg 329 at 9pd5dt th_abfp.gif

July 8, 2016: Our precious girls were born at 37 weeks gestational age! babygirl.gifbabygirl.gif

#5 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

I would stick with Dr. Hannam! He is a wonderful physician. I too was at the OFC initially but after 1 failed IVF cycle likely due to poor egg quality and 1 failed IVF converted to IUI due to poor response, I felt I needed a second opinion. I was told at OFC that my old 31 year old eggs and DOR were to blame. None of this was true! Dr. Hannam did a phone interview with me for the first appointment to avoid me having to travel to Toronto. I'm not sure if he does this anymore. He knew right away why my 2nd IVF resulted in very poor ovarian response.

I took a leap of faith and cycled with Dr. Hannam in September/October 2014. I also did all my subsequent FETs with him. It was the best decision I ever made despite the expensive travel for monitoring. Dr. Hannam's fertility lab is associated with CCRM which is one of the best fertility clinics in the U.S. I think if anyone is going to figure out your ICSI issues, it's Dr. Hannam! I simply can't say enough good things about him!

Best of luck! I wish you success on your next cycle!  

PM me if you have any specific questions! I'd be happy to answer them!

Your OFC experience sounds so similar to mine. I am 32 with apparently egg quality problems based on failed ICSI. First cycle overstimed and failed ICSI. OFC statement egg quality issues but protocol was good as the one egg that fertilized lead to cp🤔Second IVF extremely poor response. Should have been converted to IUI but no one realised until ER how bad it was. Maybe if they actually checked E2 they would have realised I was not responding. They are definitely not getting anymore of our money! I will send you a pm as I am interested in what OFC was using as protocol for you.
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#6 SunnySkies

SunnySkies
  • Global 100+
  • 141 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

I am also a patient of Dr. Garbedian at Hannam. Not a huge fan of her communication skills. She always says she'll be back in 2 minutes at the end of a consult, and then disappears. Kinda weird to me. And when we first discussed the results from our diagnostic cycle, she had the wrong patient file. So we spent 5-10 minutes discussing someone else's sperm counts and mobility, before I saw that the names on the file didn't match. I was just glad they didn't amputate the wrong leg in this case. On the other hand and more important to me, she does seem to know what she is doing and explains things well. I am doing an IVF cycle with her now, and I feel confident about the approach. 

Not sure if it important to you, but I think that every week there is another doctor on call at Hannam that does the cycling review, or the SHGs or the transfers. So it could happen that another doctor than your own performs a procedure. Not 100% certain on their system, but I have gotten SHGs from 2 different doctors. 

• Abrianna likes this

I have my own blog about infertility:

https://fertilityfinance.wordpress.com/ 

I blog about my upcoming IVF cycle and the cost of infertility. 

#7 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info SunnySkies. We decided to stick with Dr Hannam for our initial consult due to the complexity of our case and I know he has past experience working with patients from OFC with repeat cycle failure. We are also waiting to see Dr Virro in Markham and hopefully between the two of them we will get an answer about what is going wrong!

Good luck with your cycle!
  • hamiltwin likes this
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#8 seansgirl

seansgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 121 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

I think you will be happy with Dr Hannam. I too, left OFC as I was sick of feeling like a number and not getting anywhere. Dr Hannam's office, lab, results and organization makes it all worth it. I have been on the wit list for the funded IVF and just found out I have a date. Looking forward to cycling there again. Wishing you you all the best. I think you made the best decision.
Me 36; DH 45
1998- Vasectomy
2008- Failed Reversal
Aug. 2009- Referred to FC
Nov. 2010- Changed clinics
Mar. 2011- Appt to discuss IVF
Apr. 2011- Appt with Urologist
May 7th- start BC
May 27th- finish BC
June 1st- AF arrived
June 3rd- Start Gonal F and Luveris
June 15th- ER (14 eggs retrieved)
June 20th- 2 Blasts transferred, no frosties
July 4th- BETA( chemical pregnancy)
Feb 2013- second VR
April 2013- we have swimmers!
June 14- now dealing with antibodies
Sept 6th- Great news from urologist, now to look into IUI
Feb. 25/2014- IUI-BFN
Now we wait for IVF Funding
Nov. 2016- on the list for IVF for July 2018 (Hoping to get bumped earlier)

#9 taitertot

taitertot
  • Global 100+
  • 162 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hello! Thought I'd add my questions to this thread because I am a current patient at OFC but considering a switch to Hannam. We did have a successful IVF in 2011 at OFC, however, my experience with the FET this past summer was awful and I don't know if things have gone downhill with patient care since 2011 or if I'm becoming more sensitive. I wasn't properly informed about the protocol, and I just didn't feel treated like a person, particularly during actual procedures when I was feeling pretty vulnerable. Anyway, we have decided we want to do one more IVF cycle and now that I am pushing 40, I just want to make sure we have the best chance possible. It sounds like you all are happy you switched. I don't think our issues are particularly complex (poor morphology, i have a short cycle, and getting older). This is a vague question but: do you think it is worth it to switch (given the extra costs + travel) if I previously responded well to OFC protocol? Also, what was the timeline from getting your referral to getting your consultation at Hannam?  Did he give you any % chances of success before starting your cycles?  I was given 30% per ET from OFC. Thanks for any input at all.

• Abrianna likes this

me: 39, DH: 40, Dx MFI

TTC #1 since Jan 2007

Various tests in UK
Summer 2010: more tests, and (pointless) medicated cycles at Karma

September 2010: moved to Ottawa, referred to OFC
Strict morphology test reveals normal forms only 2.5%. 
November 15: consent signing for IVF with ICSI
Jan 13: ER. 13 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and injected, 10 fertilized
Jan 18: ET. 2 blasts put back. 1 frosty.
Jan 31: BFP! Beta: 488.
Feb 23: U/S 154 bpm, looks great. Hi baby!!!
Oct 5: Our girl is born

July 2013: Surprise natural BFP while waiting to try our frostie

April 2014: Our second girl is born

June 2016: Surgery to remove uterine polyp

July/August 2016: Medicated FET: BFN

April 2017: Surgery scheduled to remove another polyp

#10 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Taitertot: Sorry to hear about your OFC experience. Sounds way to familiar to ours. We had our consult with Dr. Hannam in Dec and it was very helpful. For us it looks like errors in choice of protocol and drug doses combined with poor cycle monitoring is the cause of our cycle failures at OFC. Dr. Hannam spent over an hour reviewing our history, past cycles and future treatment options. The success rates that he gave us were much higher then OFC. The wait time to see Dr Hannam was a month. If we had been willing to see a different RE there we could have been seen in two weeks.

As for cost, it is something we are also considering as Hannam is significantly higher but dose offer treatment options like PISCI that we may require. We are also seeing Dr Virro at Markham for another opinion and then deciding which clinic to go with. Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions. As far as OFC, I think things have significantly declined in the last year with IVF cycle monitoring so I would definitely be hesitant about paying for a cycle after your FET experience. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
  • taitertot, hamiltwin and Wen1218 like this
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#11 fish

fish
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:CReate

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hi Abrianna,

Would you share your experience at Hannam ?

I am planning to have my second IVF. Quick background about myself, I'm 38 and started my first IUI in 2012, then I've done another 6 IUI  and 1 IVF with 3 frozen embryos and they did not work out at all. The factor was unknown. So we decided to change our clinic from Create to either Hannam or Mount Sinai. Now, we're struggling which clinic we should go?!

#12 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

Hi Fish,

Sorry to hear you are shopping around for another clinic as well. We have decided to go with Dr Hannam over Virro for our cycle. Both were great for second opinions and i don't think either would have been a wrong choice. We just seemed to connect better with Hannam, we want to try PICSI and it is hard to ignore the success stories that he has. He gave us a 70% success rate per FET which is so much better then our previous clinic.

I am going to be calling in at the end of April to update bloodwork and get our IVF cycle set up for the end of June. We had decided to wait till then due to work schedules and needing a break from clinics. flusteredTO just did a cycle with Hannam after leaving Create and had amazing results so far compared to past cycles.

Have you been to either clinic yet for a second opinion? Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#13 fish

fish
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Abrianna! Our plan was to get the consultation on both clinics and then decide, but it doesn't work we well as we planned! It's been a month and we yet have any respond from Mount Sanai about our first appointment.. it's really frustrating process.   

#14 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Abrianna! Our plan was to get the consultation on both clinics and then decide, but it doesn't work we well as we planned! It's been a month and we yet have any respond from Mount Sanai about our first appointment.. it's really frustrating process.   

Sounds like a good plan if only it was that simple! We had also gotten referred to Create as a second opinion which turned out to be a similar experience. First they lost our referral and then when I had to reschedule our appointment it took two days of phone calls and emails to get a response. Definitely reinforced my doubts about ever wanting to cycle there. If you haven't called Mount Sanai it maybe worth following up.

With Hannam I can say that the communication and patient care from start to finish has been excellent. I love having instant email access to our medical team. This was a big deal for us being out of town patients. At the end of the day this is our last attempt at fertility treatment and with Hannam I feel that we can walk away with no regrets no matter the outcome.

All the best with deciding on a new clinic!
Ottawa Fertility Centre:
1.5mil post wash BFN

400,000 post wash BFN

2dt BFP ended in CP

Hannam Fertility
IVF#3 June 2017
Antagonist protocol

#15 fish

fish
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

We finally decided to go for Hannam. We went two clinic for 2nd opinion; there's only one got back to us for first consultation and it will be end of June. We don't think we can wait that long. The other one don't even bother to return our calls.

I might start the IVF cycle in June too. Thanks for all these opinions that helps a lot and good luck to your cycle :)

#16 Marianne681

Marianne681
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hi ladies! I will be doing my FET end of June or early July at Hannam! Keeping fingers crossed for you both.
  • fish likes this

#17 fish

fish
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

good luck to you Marianne!