#1051 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1,876 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Kim- Thx! Hopefully my OB is on board :)
Me: 30Hypothyroid,Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's.Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKENFET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFNICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D

#1052 dawnkey

dawnkey
  • Cyclebase
  • 948 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

Hi everyone!
Sorry for my absence. My older sister passed away on March 9th. She had cancer but got an infection that she couldn't fight.

We found out on March 10th that we are most likely having another girl. The technician wouldn't say 100% girl and suggested that we still buy neutral stuff but neither DH or I saw any boy parts at all. Lol.

Me (41) Dx - Annovulatory PCOS, One blocked tube, Grave's Disease - actually, make that Hashimoto's + Him (36) Perfect in every way!

Treatment/Cycle details in my 'About Me'.
sfhjk1284.png
nmx60gj38.png

0tlg34ey5.png

#1053 C-Ross

C-Ross
  • Global 100+
  • 271 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility centre Calgary

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Dawnkey- so sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts are with you. Congratulations on finding out you are having a girl :)
  • dawnkey likes this
IVF November 2015 - transferred 1 blast - resulted in bfn (8 frozen - 5d embryos)
FET March 2016 - first BFP but ended at 11weeks (ultrasound showed embryo stopped at 8w4d)
FET Oct 2016 - transferred 2 and BFP

#1054 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,438 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

((dawnkey))

• dawnkey and lumnay like this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#1055 Auburnista

Auburnista
  • 1000+
  • 1,342 posts
  • My Clinic:Pacific Centre For Reproductive Medicine

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

dawnkey - I am so, so sorry to hear about losing your sister.  I can't even imagine the pain :(

I'm 22 weeks now and had a midwife appointment on the weekend, where I got some updates from our anatomy ultrasound that was a month ago.  Most importantly, our baby is perfect!  Heart rate has been in the 150s/160s lately, and everything looked great on the ultrasound.  I was relieved to know that my placenta is normal this time after the ordeal that was Velamentous Cord Insertion last time around.  The only two minor things they noticed was the presence of a 3cm fibroid in my uterus, which my midwife isn't concerned about since it wasn't interfering with the baby.  Also, my placenta was located within 2cm of my cervix (though not covering it), so they just want to do a follow-up ultrasound at 32 weeks to make sure it has moved up as my uterus grows.  I'm happy to have another chance to see my baby in there!  Odds are really good that it will move, and I'm not concerned regardless since it's not actually obstructing my cervix anyway.

My midwife recommended that I do the fasting, 3 hour blood glucose intolerance test this time around instead of the standard 1 hour non-fasting one, as she suspects I may have had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy (she was 10lb 9oz at birth!) even though I passed the test then.  She said that both tests can have false negative results, but that the fasting version is more accurate.  So basically she would like to get as accurate a result as possible this time just in case I need to do anything about it.  I would reeeeeeally prefer to push out a slightly smaller watermelon this time around!  Still no idea how I did that :)  Anyway I'm not concerned about that either even though it sounds like a less than delightful way to kill three hours.  Oh well.  I'll do anything to make sure this baby is happy and healthy!  Tons of kicks these days, I'm totally loving it.  I've been spending my daughter's nap times on my days off working on getting her new bedroom painted and decorated.  It's been a lot of work so far since we didn't even have trim or anything up in her room, but it's almost done now!  Just some decorations to put up.  Her walls are covered with a swarm of 3D blue and purple butterflies now, it's so awesome!  I'll post pictures when it's all done.  We set up her new toddler sized bed in there for now too, so she can get used to sitting on it and playing in there.  The plan is to move it into her current room (and get rid of the crib) in a few weeks so she can get used to sleeping in a big girl bed.  Then once that's all good, she can move into her new room before the baby comes and screws everything up!  Yesterday she said she was ok with letting the new baby live in her old room so that's a good first step I think.  We will be celebrating her second birthday on Saturday so lots to look forward to these days!

• dawnkey, lumnay, EverHopefull! and 1 other like this

Me: 36, DH: 66 (failed vasectomy reversal in 2013)

IVF cycle #1 - August 2013
- retrieved 11 eggs, 2 made it to blastocyst stage, transferred two embryos
- 8dp5dt hpt BFP!!!!! th_abfp.gif 9dp5dt beta test --> hCG = 35, 11dp5dt beta test --> hCG = 96
- early ultrasound (7w1d) --> one baby with a heartbeat of 125! yahoo.gif 
- miscarriage at 7w4d, discovered at 9w1d ultrasound. Devastated sad.png Doctor suspects miscarriage was due to poor egg quality on a chromosomal level due to low estrogen during stimulation phase.

IVF cycle #2 - January 2014
- retrieved 29 eggs, 5 made it to blastocyst stage, transferred two embryos, froze three more
- 9dp5dt hpt BFP!!! th_abfp.gif beta test --> hCG = 12, 11dp5dt hCG = 22, 15dp5dt hCG = 22 --> looks like another early miscarriage or possibly vanishing twin?
- 24dp5dt hCG = 83 --> WTF?
- 26dp5dt hCG = 36 --> this cycle is over (6w5d).  Recurring Pregnancy Loss bloodwork panel done.

IVF cycle #3 (medicated FET) - June 2014
- June 27/14 transferred two embryos (still one frozen)
- 9dp5dt beta test #1 --> BFP!  hCG = 60 th_abfp.gif  So happy!!!! yahoo.gif11dp5dt beta test #2 hCG = 79, 13dp5dt beta test #3 (4w4d) hCG = 200 !!!!  Yay!!!  So relieved!
- viability ultrasound (6w2d) --> saw one little baby, HR 100 bpm! banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 
- second ultrasound (8w4d) --> baby measuring right on track, HR 170 bpm!  preggo.gif
Sept. 4/14 - First Trimester Screening ultrasound (NT scan) --> healthy baby passed with flying colours!
Oct. 27/14 - 20 week ultrasound --> baby looks perfect, but diagnosed with "Velamentous Cord Insertion"
Dec. 5/14 - 26 week ultrasound --> unable to confirm VCI
Dec. 16/14 - High risk OB appointment - interpretation of previous ultrasound is that we have marginal insertion, not VCI.
Jan. 19/15 - 32 week ultrasound --> baby is measuring at 90th percentile!
Mar. 15/15 - due date!
Mar. 25/15 - after a difficult 34 hours of labour, our beautiful little miracle, Kira Rosalie, was born at 2:05pm, weighing a very healthy 10lb 9oz!  We are so in love with everything about her and are so thankful to finally have her in our arms! (surprised that when we saw the placenta, it WAS Velamentous Insertion after all!)

IVF cycle #4 (medicated FET) - fall 2016 - time to try to make a sibling for Kira!

May 12/16 - found out I have gallstones (caused by pregnancy) and need to have my gallbladder removed!  Grrrr!  3-4 month wait for surgery.   th_aggahhh.gif Decided to do a fresh IVF, freeze-all cycle while we wait.

July/16 - my screwed up cycle never showed up, so now we have run out of time to do a freeze-all cycle before my surgery.  Now we have no choice but to wait until October to do our FET.  It's always something. eusa_wall.gif

Sept. 1/16 - gallbladder removal surgery

Sept. 15/16 - started BCP to induce long-overdue cycle (three months and counting...)

Oct. 8/16 - CD#1

Nov. 3/16 - transferred one day 6, 4BB embryo

Nov. 10/16 - HPT BFP!!!  (8dp5dt) th_abfp.gif

Nov. 12/16 - beta #1 = 74! yahoo.gif Nov. 14/16 - beta #2 = 113.  Only a 53% increase, 79 hour doubling time.  Nov. 16/16 - beta #3 = 267!  WHEW!!

Dec. 6/16 - viability ultrasound - saw a happy baby measuring on track at 11mm, HR 145bpm!  Yay!!

Jan. 9/17 - First Trimester Screening is all clear and baby is perfect!  HR 170 bpm smile.png

Feb. 21/17 - anatomy ultrasound --> all clear!  Baby is happy and super active!

#1056 C-Ross

C-Ross
  • Global 100+
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Auburnista - glad to hear that you and baby are doing well!

I'm curious if any of yours docs have suggested taking any other supplements above and beyond the regular prenatal vitamin. Things like calcium, iron, etc.
I don't have a large appetite and I haven't been gaining weight and I can't help be a little anxious about it even though my doc doesn't seem too worried.
  • lumnay likes this
IVF November 2015 - transferred 1 blast - resulted in bfn (8 frozen - 5d embryos)
FET March 2016 - first BFP but ended at 11weeks (ultrasound showed embryo stopped at 8w4d)

#1057 Auburnista

Auburnista
  • 1000+
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

As long as baby is growing properly, I don't think there's any concern about not gaining weight, particularly if you weren't underweight before.  I definitely had (heck, still do have!) lots of extra pounds to lose, and I currently weigh about 5lbs less than when I got pregnant due to a combination of reduced appetite, some food aversions, and just trying to eat better.  Last time around, I weighed 15lbs less after my baby was born than when I got pregnant!  If your doctor isn't concerned, I don't think you should be either.  I like to call it the Pregnancy Diet :)

• lumnay and afroil like this

- 8dp5dt hpt BFP!!!!! th_abfp.gif 9dp5dt beta test --> hCG = 35, 11dp5dt beta test --> hCG = 96
- miscarriage at 7w4d, discovered at 9w1d ultrasound. Devastated sad.png Doctor suspects miscarriage was due to poor egg quality on a chromosomal level due to low estrogen during stimulation phase.

- retrieved 29 eggs, 5 made it to blastocyst stage, transferred two embryos, froze three more
- 9dp5dt hpt BFP!!! th_abfp.gif beta test --> hCG = 12, 11dp5dt hCG = 22, 15dp5dt hCG = 22 --> looks like another early miscarriage or possibly vanishing twin?
- 26dp5dt hCG = 36 --> this cycle is over (6w5d).  Recurring Pregnancy Loss bloodwork panel done.

- 9dp5dt beta test #1 --> BFP!  hCG = 60 th_abfp.gif  So happy!!!! yahoo.gif11dp5dt beta test #2 hCG = 79, 13dp5dt beta test #3 (4w4d) hCG = 200 !!!!  Yay!!!  So relieved!
- viability ultrasound (6w2d) --> saw one little baby, HR 100 bpm! banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 
- second ultrasound (8w4d) --> baby measuring right on track, HR 170 bpm!  preggo.gif
Sept. 4/14 - First Trimester Screening ultrasound (NT scan) --> healthy baby passed with flying colours!
Oct. 27/14 - 20 week ultrasound --> baby looks perfect, but diagnosed with "Velamentous Cord Insertion"
Dec. 16/14 - High risk OB appointment - interpretation of previous ultrasound is that we have marginal insertion, not VCI.
Mar. 15/15 - due date!
Mar. 25/15 - after a difficult 34 hours of labour, our beautiful little miracle, Kira Rosalie, was born at 2:05pm, weighing a very healthy 10lb 9oz!  We are so in love with everything about her and are so thankful to finally have her in our arms! (surprised that when we saw the placenta, it WAS Velamentous Insertion after all!)

IVF cycle #4 (medicated FET) - fall 2016 - time to try to make a sibling for Kira!

May 12/16 - found out I have gallstones (caused by pregnancy) and need to have my gallbladder removed!  Grrrr!  3-4 month wait for surgery.   th_aggahhh.gif Decided to do a fresh IVF, freeze-all cycle while we wait.

July/16 - my screwed up cycle never showed up, so now we have run out of time to do a freeze-all cycle before my surgery.  Now we have no choice but to wait until October to do our FET.  It's always something. eusa_wall.gif

Sept. 15/16 - started BCP to induce long-overdue cycle (three months and counting...)

Oct. 8/16 - CD#1

Nov. 12/16 - beta #1 = 74! yahoo.gif Nov. 14/16 - beta #2 = 113.  Only a 53% increase, 79 hour doubling time.  Nov. 16/16 - beta #3 = 267!  WHEW!!

Dec. 6/16 - viability ultrasound - saw a happy baby measuring on track at 11mm, HR 145bpm!  Yay!!

Jan. 9/17 - First Trimester Screening is all clear and baby is perfect!  HR 170 bpm smile.png

#1058 afroil

afroil
  • Global 100+
  • 116 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM Burnaby

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

Dawnkey I'm so sorry about ur sister. Congrats on the baby girl!

C-Ross my recent blood test showed I was a bit low on iron though my hemoglobin counts are normal but I'm taking iron supplements now. I also take a daily probiotic and a cranberry supplement (in hopes of keeping any bad bacteria away ) and Metamucil fibre.
  • dawnkey and lumnay like this
Ivf#1 February 2016..transferred two embryos= triplets (so in love!❤)Lost triplet1 our son @18 weeks due to pprom..:'(Lost triplets 2 and 3 our girls at 22 weeks and 4 days... :'( very traumatic labour,delivery and loss💔💔💔3 frozen embryos left 4AA, 4BB, 4CBFET#1 Oct/Nov 2016 (estrace and Endometrin protocol)Cd.1 Oct.15th 2016 started estrace x3 a day.Cd.3 baseline US. 6mm lining Cd.17 2nd US..lining 11.8! 😅Transfer Nov.8 one 4aa re-expanded blast5dp5dt BFP!!!🙌💞Beta 1= 118 😊Beta 2= 242 ❤🌈1st US Dec.9

Due date July 27/17 ❤

#1059 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 666 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Dawnkey, sorry about your loss. Sending you hugs. You must be happy to learn the sex of your baby. Have you started shopping already?

C-ross and afroil, I'm also taking other supplements in addition to prenatal vitamins. I'm taking 3 tablets of folic acid (since I have twins), iron, cranberry pills, and Metamucil (which I've been taking since September due to a GI issue). I haven't been gaining weight either so I decided to see a dietitian at BC Women's. She's been very helpful but I still haven't gained enough given that I'm 21weeks already. My GP and OB aren't concerned after I had the detailed scan 2 weeks ago so I guess it's all good. I agree with Auburnista that as long as they baby(ies) is(are) doing good, we shouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.

Auburnista, it seems like things are going really well for you. You sound very busy doing all the prep work for your daughter's room and her party. You must have lots of energy unlike me. By late afternoon, I'm ready to go to bed. :) As for the ultrasound, it's nice that you have another chance to see your baby at 32 weeks. I have another one booked first week of April (week 23) because my OB recommends monthly scans to monitor my little biscuits!

Is anybody here taking prenatal classes? Do you have or have you started making a comprehensive checklist of stuff to buy/get for your baby?
  • dawnkey and afroil like this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details... 

Kindly save your sticky vibes and baby dust and send them to those who are new and excited in this journey. 

#1060 C-Ross

C-Ross
  • Global 100+
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Auburnista afroil and lumnay- thanks for the input it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that isn't gaining much weight. I have another ultrasound tomorrow just to check growth of the babies, so I'll feel better after that.

I haven't started prenatal classes but I've started to kind of make a list of things I will need. So far it really just has the basics on it :)
  • lumnay and afroil like this

#1061 afroil

afroil
  • Global 100+
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Lumnay glad to hear from u!

Prenatal classes here start at 3 weeks so iv got a ways to go til those. Bought a Phil and Ted navigator stroller but other than that we pretty much have everything already from our triplets this past summer.

Iv been having bi-weekly ultrasounds to monitor my cervix and next week is my last one (at 23 weeks ) then I'll have them monthly. Also down on my endometrin to once a day now instead of 3.
Hubby and I are flying to Vancouver easter weekend for a mini break and a 3d ultrasound of our baby boy..can't wait

I'm up 9lbs so far.
  • lumnay likes this
Ivf#1 February 2016..transferred two embryos= triplets (so in love!❤)Lost triplet1 our son @18 weeks due to pprom..:'(Lost triplets 2 and 3 our girls at 22 weeks and 4 days... :'( very traumatic labour,delivery and loss💔💔💔3 frozen embryos left 4AA, 4BB, 4CBFET#1 Oct/Nov 2016 (estrace and Endometrin protocol)Cd.1 Oct.15th 2016 started estrace x3 a day.Cd.3 baseline US. 6mm lining Cd.17 2nd US..lining 11.8! 😅Transfer Nov.8 one 4aa re-expanded blast5dp5dt BFP!!!🙌💞Beta 1= 118 😊Beta 2= 242 ❤🌈1st US Dec.9

Due date July 27/17 ❤

#1062 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1,876 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

Dawnkey- HUGS! How sad <3

Auburnista- Yay for good anatomy scans! & GL if you do the 3hr test ughhh

C-ross I take fish oil, cal/mag, folate & zinc in addition to my prenatal
  • dawnkey likes this
Me: 30Hypothyroid,Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's.Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKENFET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFNICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D

#1063 Auburnista

Auburnista
  • 1000+
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

lumnay - I won't be taking prenatal classes again since we pretty much remember everything from last time around, but I definitely recommend taking one if you've never had a baby before!  There are so many different types of them to choose from (depending on what's offered in your area of course...) I preferred the basic kind, offered through a local college, to the more spiritual/holistic kind, but I would be curious to see how they differ!  We just did the one-day crash course format, which was perfect since we had done tons of reading already, and it just confirmed that we knew enough!  If you're not really feeling that prepared though, a multi-week format might suit you better.  It also gives you a good opportunity to meet local expecting families, which is nice.  I highly recommend you check out the book called "The Mother of All Baby Books", which is a Canadian-based book that covers everything from late pregnancy through labour and delivery, and lots of info on caring for your baby, which is almost the most important part I think!  Suddenly labour will be over and you need to know what to do and expect when it comes to having a newborn to care for!  I found it really relatable and useful (unlike the What to Expect books....!).  Another great one is The Happiest Baby on the Block, which is worth its weight in gold when figuring out how to calm a fussy baby.  I wished I had read it before baby arrived so I had a bit of an idea as to what to do (and why they do the things they do!) rather than waiting until I was an emotional, exhausted mess a few months in!

As for a list of things to buy for baby, my list this time only included a second monitor camera, a backpack style diaper bag, and a double stroller (we're still debating on that one...).  But I made a huge list last time when I was preparing my baby shower registry, and as I read through books so I wouldn't forget anything.  It's crazy how much stuff you need!  And there is so much stuff out there that you definitely won't need.  PLUS all the stuff that is just too cute to pass up :)  The website called Lucie's List has all sorts of great ideas as to what you need before baby comes, plus tons of info about baby care and the various stages they go through.

• lumnay likes this

Mar. 15/15 - due date!

Oct. 8/16 - CD#1

#1064 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

That's funny that you said it like that Auburnista, because I was thinking about how little I needed!  Of course we lived in a condo so I had to be careful with space and that might be what made the difference.  The minimum list of stuff I'd recommend that you get is: a carseat, a bassinet/crib, a stroller, a carrier, diapers/wipes, a plastic mat for diaper changes, and a couple of sleepers (we had 3 newborn sleepers).  That's it.  That's all we started with and it was plenty.  I used an old purse for a diaper bag, and we used the plastic mat to change the baby on the bed rather than buy a change table.  It was a nicer way to do it because when he started to roll around I didn't have to worry about him rolling off.  We breastfed (and were lucky that it worked for us) so we didn't need any bottles or anything.  I decided around 3 months that I wanted to pump, so I bought a pump and bottles then.  If you plan to nurse our doula recommended not using a bottle or pacifier for the first 3 months anyway.  She called it nipple confusion, lol!  It will be July, so it will be warm enough not to need much in the way of clothing.  I didn't dress our guy in anything other than a diaper and t-shirt or just a sleeper for the first 3 months.  And for the next 3 months after that all I added were slippers, hats and sweaters once it got colder.  We never used a sleep sack or anything either.  Oh, get a good SPF 50+ sunhat.  I should have added that to the list.  I do agree that it's hard to resist all the cute baby stuff though! 

If you're looking for books, my two faves were the Baby Whisperer and On Becoming Baby Wise. 

• lumnay likes this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

#1065 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 430 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM (previously UBC)

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Dawnkey, I'm so sorry for your loss. I was faced with possibly losing my brother to cancer at 29 years old and it was utterly devastating. My heart goes out to you...hugs. 

• dawnkey likes this

Me (40) Dx Unexplained.  

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before our apt we got a surprise BFP. Baby girl born Feb/12.  

Switched to PCRM in TTC 2nd 

July 2013 - M/C

July 2014 - Healthy baby boy

Feb 2016 - MM/C at 9w. Heart stopped at 7w6d. D&C. Trisomy 15. 

July 2016 - M/C at 7w. Near triploidy (68 chromosomes). 

November 2016 - BFP. EDD July 20/17

D/c'd from repeat loss clinic at 11 weeks :-D 

#1066 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Good suggestions Urbanista and Everhopeful. I'm leaning toward the notion of not needing much, but buy whatever your heart desires because we've waited so damn long and fought hard for these babies! So shop away! 

But there are a few key things that I have discovered are life savers, the biggest one being a good baby carrier. My kids LIVED in these and it was the only thing that helped with colic. I recommend a Tula carrier and in the newborn days a stretchy wrap (e.g., solly (very lightweight and good for summer), moby (thicker and hotter, but cheaper), etc.). Buy the stretchy wrap used on your local FB swap site or craigslist. The other baby item that was a hit is the Bjorn bouncer. This is the only contraption that my (and many other babies I know) would sit it for any stretch of time. Again, get this used if you can. I think this design has been around since the 60's and is still very highly sought after. In my opinion don't waste your money on any other seat, bouncer, rocker, etc. In fact, you'll probably have friends that want to off load their brand new seats to you since their babies never really used them lol. 

Another thing I loved are the big swaddling blankets like the ones from Aden and Anais. They are 47" x 47". You'll use them for everything. Swaddling, nursing cover, shade cover, laying baby on the ground, you name it they are awesome. So a good carrier, a Bjorn bouncer and big swaddle blankets are my must have items. 

Another good reading resource if you plan to try and breastfeed is the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". Look past the title, it bothers me a bit for some reason. It has an excellent and accurate description of what nursing is like in the early days. While I'm a big proponent of breastfeeding, I believe there is no right way to feed your baby - breast or bottle. You may receive a lot of pressure or stigma associated with either choice, but go with what feels right to you and trust your gut. If breastfeeding isn't working for you and your family then that's ok. There's so much pressure associated with parenting choices so try not to get caught up in all the noise and judgements. Rule of thumb - do whatever works for you and your family. Period. Feed your baby, read to your baby and love your baby and you'll be just fine. :-D 

Oh, and as for a breast pump, your extended health insurance may cover the purchase of a pump with a note from your Dr. I told my doctor I wanted my husband to give the baby a bottle, but he didn't even blink when I asked for a note. My insurance covered the cost up to $300 I think. 

So there's my unsolicited advice for the day lol. 

• lumnay and EverHopefull! like this

Me (40) Dx Unexplained.  

June 2011 - To start IVF at UBC...5 days before our apt we got a surprise BFP. Baby girl born Feb/12.  

July 2013 - M/C

#1067 Auburnista

Auburnista
  • 1000+
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Good call on recommending a good carrier.  I loved the stretchy wrap for the early months (I have a Modern Wrap but they are all similar...) and can't wait to use it again!  I also have an Ergo 360, which is an amazing carrier that can be used forward and backward facing on your front, or also on your back.  We used it pretty much daily until she was well over a year old!  That said, some babies just don't like being worn, so don't try to force it too much if they don't seem to like it.

I have the Baby Bjorn bouncer seat too, second hand from my sister, and my daughter never really cared much for it, but the electric swing was a GODSEND!  She spent hours a day in it, and it lulled her to sleep every single time.  Second hand is definitely good for things like that (or baby shower registries!) since you never know what your baby will prefer :)

• lumnay likes this

Mar. 15/15 - due date!

Oct. 8/16 - CD#1

#1068 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

It would be nice if there was a place you could rent some of these things, just to try them out.  My parents bought us an electric swing (that took up so much space I had to sell a chair out of my living room - silly condo) and my son didn't like it.  And it was expensive!  If you could rent something for a week or two to see if your babe liked it that would be fantastic!

• lumnay likes this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

#1069 Auburnista

Auburnista
  • 1000+
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

Everhopefull - Great idea for a rental service!  I'm not sure that this even exists?!  Borrowing from friends/family is probably the best bet, though I see TONS of baby stuff for great prices on our local buy and sell sites (we have a Facebook group for local baby/kids buy/sell stuff).  I just saw three different electric swings posted, and all three were under $50.  I've scored all sorts of great deals on there, from clothes to kids' dishes to shoes and a million other things.  It's worth a search to see if you have one locally!  Also great for getting rid of stuff when you're done with it too. 

• lumnay likes this

Mar. 15/15 - due date!

Oct. 8/16 - CD#1

#1070 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

Yes, the FB swap sites are great for killer deals. 

• lumnay likes this

Me (40) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#1071 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

We have FB and craigslist too, but it would still be nice to try something before you were stuck with it.  I'm already looking forward to getting rid of stuff there though!  We've been storing baby/kid stuff in our basement for 6 years and it takes up a lot of space!

• lumnay likes this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

#1072 Kim2

Kim2
  • Global 100+
  • 430 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Canadian ladies did you see these new retroactive tax changes? http://www.cbc.ca/be...ction-1.4037046

• lumnay likes this

Me (40) Dx Unexplained.  

July 2013 - M/C

#1073 afroil

afroil
  • Global 100+
  • 116 posts

Posted Today, 01:43 PM

Kim2 yes but it only affects single women who did treatments to have a baby "without a man" or same sex couples... as us infertiles could always claim infertility treatments under medical expenses 😊

Due date July 27/17 ❤

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: july, pregnancy, 2ww